Quantcast

Backpack Reccomendations

matt2991

penishead
Jun 12, 2006
Since I am going to be leading a group biking this summer for like 6 weeks, I need a backpack that can hold like a first aid kit, papers, and all this other stuff. The backpack doesn't have to be too big, just something to carry some stuff. I would like if I could still have one of those little water tubes like what a camelback has.

Thanks

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
You could buy a Camelbak Unbottle, which just a reinforced reservoir which you could put into any backpack:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Since I am going to be leading a group biking this summer for like 6 weeks, I need a backpack that can hold like a first aid kit, papers, and all this other stuff. The backpack doesn't have to be too big, just something to carry some stuff. I would like if I could still have one of those little water tubes like what a camelback has.

Thanks
Camelbak H.A.W.G. (smallish) or Havoc (bigger)

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Dakine also makes some cool packs, I have the Apex.

Water bladder leaked on mine on the first ride, so I replaced it with a Camelbak Omega reservoir.

Oakley has some MTB-specific bags out now too. Pricey for sure, but I'm using the Kitchen Sink pack for commuting and I'm very happy with it.

Broken_Spoke

Mr. Big Hot Pastrami
Feb 26, 2003
Bozeman, MT
I have a Dakine Nomad right now and I love it. Before that I had a Camelbak Mule and it never was that great i.e. the inside pocket lining ripped in within the first month of me having it, there wasn't a lot of room to carry anything and even putting a spare tube and my CO2 inflater in there made it feel like it was stuffed to the gills.

matt2991

penishead
Jun 12, 2006
I got this REI backpack today. It is kind of like hiking backpack, but I can put a 100 L water blatter in there. Also it has a strap to go round my waste so it works great. Not to heavy either. I am going to be out in the desert so I can pack a bunch of water bottles, as well as my binder, tools, tubes, food, and other stuff. I also got a great mountain hardware rain jacket.

mosplat

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Brooklyn <-> Oakland
i've had a camelbak HAWG for years now and it's just about perfect as a light day-pack. it is on the smaller side, but this means you won't ever carry more than you need.

Playdeep

Chimp
Apr 18, 2004
St George, Utah
I think Deuter makes the best fitting and breathable bags out there. Great CS even for a foreign company. I have had a HAWG for some time and like it alot also. My Deuter just carries the weight much better and keeps my back much drier.

neverwalk

Chimp
Sep 30, 2007
I've been doing EXACTLY what you are going to be doing, for 18 years.
Deuter is far and away the best choice out there. I can carry everything I need without having a pack that swings around, or crushes my chest, either loaded, or empty. Everything else I've ever used would have to be cinched down so tightly it would make me crazy, or cut off my circulation after a day in the saddle. The "Air Comfort" mesh suspension system breathes unbelievably well.
I like the Race X Air 1 and 2, or for really loading up, the transalpine series.