Quantcast

Badger Cycles Dorothy Sneak Peak!!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
how is that chit held together? I see no welds..

Why it is all done with smoke and mirrors N8!

I believe Fillet Brazing is the technique - and followed by sanding it produces that smooth clean look you see there.

I don't know all the technical mumbo jumbo surrounding it but I'm sure Ben or Guitar Ted can fill us in a bit more.

Possum

Chimp
Sep 20, 2006
Kansas ****ty
That's a good looking color. Sounds like I'll get to see it in person on Sunday. Don't worry Ben, I won't take any pictures to ace you here on Monday. ;)

benwitt11

Chimp
May 9, 2006
Let us know what you think. Pictures are going to happen, I would rather wait until Monday though.

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
It's a combination super glue and silly putty. :biggrin:
Fillet brazing, ( by the way, it's pronounced "fill-it" not "fiil-lay") is a joinery technique that, in this instance, is using brass, (low tech terminology here, it's actually a bit more complex than "brass") to form a "lug" around two separate tubes of steel. The steel tubes are first mitered and very carefully mated to the point that you cannot see any light through the joint. Then the torch, "brass", and artistry come in. The fillet material is melted around the joint and not only joins the material, but reinforces the joint area in much the same way a lug would. Really talented fillet brazers can lay down a fillet so good that no sanding is necessary afterwards. (Ross Schafer of Salsa fame and before that, Santana Tandems, was one of these guys) The resulting joint is strong and aesthetically pleasing, making the tubing look as if it flows from one tube to another seamlessly. Perfectly radiused joints are super difficult to lay down.

Because fillet brazing is so difficult, time consuming, and therefore expensive to do, it is not a very prevalent method of joinery for bicycles. It's often seen as being archaic and too heavy to use for modern bicycles, but I think that's hooey! By the way, sometimes silver is used as the fillet material on a frame too.

There! Class dismissed! :biggrin:

Soupboy

Chimp
Oct 12, 2004
Well, after Ben gets his, I'll be close behind.

You will know my name as The Lord, when I lay my Dorothy upon thee!

benwitt11

Chimp
May 9, 2006
I should have the bike in house after Interbike next week. I hope to have it all built by Saturday. Should be a bang up build with the kit I've got ready!

Possum

Chimp
Sep 20, 2006
Kansas ****ty
Let us know what you think. Pictures are going to happen, I would rather wait until Monday though.
I'm pretty sure it will be sweet, so I'm not too worried there. If you want, I'll take some pics and post 1 or 2 on Monday, but I can gladly wait until you post more teasers, b/c I will have already seen it it person. :)

I'll be more concerned about the frame being built that day (Sunday) anyway (I'll give you a hint - Zona, 100/130mm). Maybe I'll need to post pics of that instead.

benwitt11

Chimp
May 9, 2006
Damn. That's classy. How about one for next year?

I'm loving those shoes. A fine choice sir.

Cheers,
Ben

benwitt11

Chimp
May 9, 2006
I'll be more concerned about the frame being built that day (Sunday) anyway (I'll give you a hint - Zona, 100/130mm). Maybe I'll need to post pics of that instead.
Have I talked to Rob about something like this already? ;) If it's what I think it is, good call.

Possum

Chimp
Sep 20, 2006
Kansas ****ty
Have I talked to Rob about something like this already? ;) If it's what I think it is, good call.
Rob said he's talked to you about something similar. He said I should call you and talk to you about it, but I was busy with a rush project so I never did. I don't think it would be that difficult for him to build you one after this one, b/c it appears that you and I ride about the same bike (my cross bike design is almost an exact duplicate of yours).

I'm getting it built for a trip to Syllamo on Oct 12-13-14, so I'm going to pull the Reba off my Rig and convert it to 100mm for this frame. I'll probably put some kind of ghetto rattle-can paint job on it for the trip (won't have to time to get it to paint before the trip) and then I'll send it off for paint when I get back. In the not-so-distant future, I'll swap the 100mm Reba (72deg HTA) for the WB Fluid 29 130 (70.86deg HTA) for pure fun.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I'm getting it built for a trip to Syllamo on Oct 12-13-14, so I'm going to pull the Reba off my Rig and convert it to 100mm for this frame. I'll probably put some kind of ghetto rattle-can paint job on it for the trip (won't have to time to get it to paint before the trip) and then I'll send it off for paint when I get back. .
Our bike club is gonna be up there the following week... it's a good 8 hr drive from here...!!!

October 21 & 22: Campout at Syllamo Trail, AR

I think I am gonna take the ridged Titus single speed for my ride up there... :D