Quantcast

Badger Cycles

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
I regret passing on a deal that I was offered on a Badger F&F a while back. Marcus Ward (mward on MTBR) is Rob's "web guy" and good friend of mine. Marcus' wife Lorena has one of Rob's frames. The craftmanship is outstanding. He does AMAZING work.

Mark, your crystal ball might just be a good one.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I've seen that blue frame that Rob built for mward's wife - really sharp looking.

Did you see that new frame and fork he's got in the works complete with custom lugged stem?? Awesome stuff.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
MMcG said:
N8 easy with the schillin for Badger okay.

Oh, I don't care about their bikes what so ever... but I do love the badger-badger-badger song... :D

Besides, I thought you were workin' for Cannondale with your lounge post yesterday... :p:p:p

moff_quigley

Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Someone might be spilling the beans on MTBR:

What if you could get a 29"er frame and fork............

That came in six different sizes from 13" to 21" with top tubes from 22.5" to 26" in length.

That had a disc only set up with a 80mm suspension corrected steel fork

That had a panel paint job with a clear coat in a choice of two colors

That had a Jen Greene headbadge

That was fillet brazed........

All for about $1200.00?

What if..........................

stay tuned

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
moff_quigley said:

That came in six different sizes from 13" to 21" with top tubes from 22.5" to 26" in length.

All for about $1200.00?

stay tuned
What if you can get custom for the same price from a handful of steel builders? :rolleyes:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Mackie said:
What if you can get custom for the same price from a handful of steel builders? :rolleyes:
:stupid: That pricing scheme just doesn't make good sense to me.

If I'm going to fork over that much money, I'm gonna go custom.

Not that I have even a fraction of that much money, but if I did, I'd go with someone who would build me EXACTLY what I wanted.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
MMcG said:
:stupid: That pricing scheme just doesn't make good sense to me.

If I'm going to fork over that much money, I'm gonna go custom.

Not that I have even a fraction of that much money, but if I did, I'd go with someone who would build me EXACTLY what I wanted.

Can't compair such a bike as described to a KM really... I think of it more along the lines of a high end frame like Indi Fab or something like that.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I'm not comparing it to a Karate Monkey. I'm just pointing out the fact that you can work with a custom builder and get EXACTLY what you want in a frame and still pay less than $1,200 in many instances.

To compete, I think a smarter price point would have been around $750 or $800 rather than $1,200.00.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
MMcG said:
I'm not comparing it to a Karate Monkey. I'm just pointing out the fact that you can work with a custom builder and get EXACTLY what you want in a frame and still pay less than $1,200 in many instances.

To compete, I think a smarter price point would have been around $750 or $800 rather than $1,200.00.
Not everyone wants to take the time to work a total custom build though. If a stock size frame with all the bling fits you, why go through all the time, effort and WAITING to get a full blown custom build when the difference may be less than negligible?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
N8 said:
Not everyone wants to take the time to work a total custom build though. If a stock size frame with all the bling fits you, why go through all the time, effort and WAITING to get a full blown custom build when the difference may be less than negligible?
Well if that is the case, I'd still order a Niner or El Mariachi (in the $750 range for either) or something else stock and save my extra $500 to $700 on a nice set of wheels or a decent set of wheels and more beer. :D

moff_quigley

Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Can one really get a full custom fillet brazed F&F for under $1200? $1200 is about 400-500 off Rob's full custom pricing (for F&F) if memory serves correctly. Which isn't bad considering you'd still be getting a handmade Badger frame and fork.

On a side note...The El Mariachi LE is super sweet...

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
MMcG said:
Well if that is the case, I'd still order a Niner or El Mariachi (in the $750 range for either) or something else stock and save my extra $500 to $700 on a nice set of wheels or a decent set of wheels and more beer. :D

That's cool... I suppose that's why they make all sorts of flavors then!

:D

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
moff_quigley said:
Can one really get a full custom fillet brazed F&F for under $1200? $1200 is about 400-500 off Rob's full custom pricing (for F&F) if memory serves correctly. Which isn't bad considering you'd still be getting a handmade Badger frame and fork.

On a side note...The El Mariachi LE is super sweet...
I think that guy I pointed you to - clockworks bikes - is doing fillet brazing - I may be wrong. And his quote to me was a lot less than $1,200.00

I dunno. But when I saw that AE bike price for the production El Mariachi frames and forks it made me think about the $1,200 price tag of the Badgers. I dunno - it just seems like a lot of dough for a production frame - but then again if you look below my avatar you'll see where I'm coming from in terms of budgetary constraints.

Perhaps it is a bargain for someone with the bucks to afford it.

Hey, the more options the better.

moff_quigley

Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
I'm with ya, Mark. It's not like I'll be able to buy one myself. I just got a JensonUSA flyer in the mail today...737 Zion frame with EBB for $249. $65.00 for a Zion fork gets a decent 29er SS for $315ish.

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
moff_quigley said:

All for about $1200.00?

stay tuned
Yup, it's true! It's coming from Badger Cycles, but not directly from there. More details are coming. They are leaking stuff out ever so slowly, so I can't say much more yet.

There is a rendering of the 19" frame at Twenty Nine Inches

The concerns about price were raised on another forum and I can say that for top notch fillet brazing you will find that prices are right in the ball park, or even higher. I've googled it and checked it out. Besides, not many guys are doing this stuff at this level.

Like 29"ers, fillets might not be for everybody, but Rob's torch work speaks for itself, and if you like artistry and a tough 29"er, I don't think you can find much better than this. Your mileage may vary.

As for going custom, yeah: you can get custom steel at this price. But it's not going to be fillet brazed, most likely, (a costly and time consuming way to join tubes) and it's probably not going to be available in a timely manner, like these new "production" frames should be. As I said, it's certainly not everyones cup of tea, and alot can be said for the cheaper alternatives. I just don't think they are as beautiful as they are functional, in most cases.

There's my opinion and a tidbit for ya'all to chew on!

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
MMcG said:
Welcome to Ridemonkey Guitar Ted!! Hope you stick around and post up a lot in this forum.

This guy is a wealth of 29er info.
Thanks for the greetings! :wave:

As for being a "wealth of 29"er info", I'll let the other monkees judge that! Thanks for the kind words.

I'm excited about this new project. I can't wait to hear all the final details and see one of these new rigs for real. Rob's torch work is pure eye candy! Fillets so nicely radiused and smooth! Yum!

I may be a "29"er nutcase", but I'm also a total push over for nice fillet joinery! I love it!

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
MMcG said:
So is Rob doing the fillet brazing, but some other "shop or distributor" is selling them?
:confused:

Would one of you gurus educate me on what exactly "fillet brazing" is and how it's different/better than whatever the other choices are...???

Thanks!

rob pennell

Chimp
Aug 22, 2006
Lawrence, KS
N8 said:
:confused:

Would one of you gurus educate me on what exactly "fillet brazing" is and how it's different/better than whatever the other choices are...???

Thanks!
Some info on the three joining methods from Anvil and some info on a brazing silver called filletpro. I personally use all three methods because I believe a good builder should master every method. I prefer fillet brazing because of the looks and I enjoy blending the old school methods with new tech materials, etc.. Plus you dont see fillet brazed frames very often and too me a little more art goes into it. I'm sure some builders will flame me for this but I personally think tig welding is the easy way to build a frame. Well, I guess I should say easier for me because I can shave almost two hours on a tig welded frame. I also disagree with Don Farris on the time it takes to build a tig frame. If your doing it right you still have to have perfect miters when fillet brazing. Well actually all bikes should have perfect miters including lugged frames. Why half azz it if you can do it right? Wow, I kind of ranted a little. I hope this answers your question. Dig around the Anvil site - There is a ton of good info in there.

http://www.anvilbikes.com/?news_ID=19&catID=3

http://www.badgercycles.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=30&Itemid=2