Baking

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
geargrrl said:
here's a different-good cornbread for you corn bread affectionados

Magic Custard Cornbread.

Preaheat oven to 400, Put cast iron skillet with 2 T butter/marg in oven.

in bowl, sift or stir together
1 1/3 C cornmeal
1/3 C flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 T sugar
1 1/4 tsp salt

add 1 cup milk, 2 eggs, stir carefully , do no overmix, then add
1 cup buttermilk, do not overmix.
Now, take hot skillet out of over, ( do not burn yourself!!) and pour batter into pan.
Pour another 1 cup milk over batter, do not stir. Bake 30 minutes.

If you don't keep buttermilk around, a really good substitute is put 1 tablespoon vinegar in a cup of milk and let it sit for about 10 minutes

geargrrl
Oh! I always burn myself...that's how I know it's going to taste good :D

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
i make a ginger honey cornbread that rules.

we are trying pizza dough tonite, although i think i didnt put enough yeast in, or it wasn't active or something. i don't think its rising correctly. oh well. if at first you don't succeed.......and i never seem to mess up twice.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
laura said:
i make a ginger honey cornbread that rules.

we are trying pizza dough tonite, although i think i didnt put enough yeast in, or it wasn't active or something. i don't think its rising correctly. oh well. if at first you don't succeed.......and i never seem to mess up twice.

yeast can get old and die, and the water temp is really critical. I wing it a lot now, but in my hippy bread baking days I used a thermomter to make sure the water was just right to get the yeast growing.

gg

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
geargrrl said:
yeast can get old and die, and the water temp is really critical. I wing it a lot now, but in my hippy bread baking days I used a thermomter to make sure the water was just right to get the yeast growing.

gg
i think that the water temp was the problem. it turned out ok, but not fantastic. i am ready to give it another go. i'd like to get into baking. i love bread.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
I love baking. When we when the lottery I'm goin' go to school to be a pastry chef for the fun of it.

My favorite things to make are bar cookies, interesting cupcakes(with stuff baked inside em) any kind of pie product, cheesecakes, and stuffed pork chops.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
laura said:
i think that the water temp was the problem. it turned out ok, but not fantastic. i am ready to give it another go. i'd like to get into baking. i love bread.
Don't use water above 110 or so. If it feels hot on your hand, it is too hot for the yeast.

Better yet, use instant yeast. You don't have to proof that stuff.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
laura said:

I used to do TONS of breads, by hand, dough hook, pre bread machine days. If you are into cookbooks, the Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book is terrific, lots about the science of bread/gluten/yeast etc but some really outstanding recipes too. I'm lazy now, just got to the bakery for bread but I bake lots of goodies when the mood hits. I suck at pie crust though, now there is an art, scratch pie crust....

trailblazer

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Jamaica
well I am back from the flu and a face plant..arguhuh....
I allways use banana or capsium peppers in my cornbread and I use a half cup of freshly cobbed corn that is oven roasted til it's sweet and tender.
I can't wait to log on my corn/crab fritter recipee on Monday.

I recently bought into the silicone baking pans/cups. Awesome results.
Especially my Yorkshire puddings for the roast beef. Speaking of I use cardomon seeds on my roast. It gives that expensive steakhouse flavour. I use fresh white nuts and crack them and use the pepper looking seeds. They taste unreal on meat.

trailblazer

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Jamaica
it took me 40 years to learn the secret to the Y Puddings....heat the cups with the oil[and 1/2 tsp. beef au jus] for 5 min. @ 425 then fill and bake. The au jus floats to the top of the pudding and colours and flavours the top crust. YUM. As soon as you start pouring in the batter onto the heated liquid they start bubbling up!

OMG someone pass the horse raddish

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
SkaredShtles said:
My mum makes the best pudding. I'm a heathen, though, and prefer mine with maple syrup to the usual gravy coating. :eek: :drool:

Yorkshire pudding with gravy during the meal. Yorkshire pudding with your favorite preserves or butter for desert.

trailblazer

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Jamaica
you must have relatives in Quebec....maple syrup capitol of the world.

saddly most of last years syrups have been re-called. Check your maker and the net warnings. Most maple 04 contains lead. That's my main sugar when doing veg like yams/squash and baking so I am still nursing the 03 batch.

i am definately trying that on the pudding. I love it on ice cream or I know this will sound odd but syrup & cottage cheese with fruit rules.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
trailblazer said:
you must have relatives in Quebec....maple syrup capitol of the world.
Heaven forbid! :eek: Nope. My kin are from the thumb area of Michigan. I just happened to be fortunate in that we had about a dozen mature sugar maple trees on our farm. :drool:

<snip>i am definately trying that on the pudding. I love it on ice cream or I know this will sound odd but syrup & cottage cheese with fruit rules.
It's good, man...... really good. :drool: