Quantcast

Balfa BB7 ye or ne?

Hey...i'm thinking about getting a well set-up balfa bb7 (Marz 888RC, putting an avy rear shock, etc). I was wondering what you guys think? Should i get the BB7? I heard many good things, but also many bad things about the BB7 from all kinds of riders. Its either a BB7, Turner DHR (a lot more money than i would pay for the BB7), Mongoose EC-D (if i can manage to get enough money together), or IH Yakuxa Kumicho 05 (cheaper than BB7, even with upgrades). Dont know what to do? If not any of these frames, what other frames or complete bikes would you suggest? Thanks a lot for the :help: guys.

NateH

Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
I rode a Balfa for 2 years and loved it, it's not the best bike if you are a straight up hucker but for all around DH its a great bike.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
a great dh bike. not so good as a pedaling freerider. i had mine set up with an avy and a shiver. it was a bunch of plush suspension. it ate rocks and roots and dropped like you were on a cloud. i am 6'1" and rode a 2003 regular/short. it was a cramped TT when i sat down (almost never) but standing it was great. the bike is a plow and will run over anything. the steeper and rockier the better.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Why not just get a bike that is still in production, and will have support if something breaks on it?

Bust a chainstay, like many have, and you will be out of luck...

Oh also, the best setup balfa I ever rode (and I rode MANY of them being friends with their team riders and living in Balfa central) had a 5th on it, curiously enough. I am not a huge fan of the "5th feeling", but it rode really nice with one. The ones I have tried with avalanches all felt incredibly overdamped.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Transcend said:
Why not just get a bike that is still in production, and will have support if something breaks on it?

Bust a chainstay, like many have, and you will be out of luck...

Oh also, the best setup balfa I ever rode (and I rode MANY of them being friends with their team riders and living in Balfa central) had a 5th on it, curiously enough. I am not a huge fan of the "5th feeling", but it rode really nice with one. The ones I have tried with avalanches all felt incredibly overdamped.

bust a chainstay on a bb7 and you will be in a world of hurt :dead:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
mandown said:
bust a chainstay on a bb7 and you will be in a world of hurt :dead:
That too!

I just happen to be in an area where for about 5 years, everyone and their dog owned a balfa. I have seen more Balfas break, simply due to sheer numbers on the mountain, than any other bike.

They have come a long way though. Anyone remember the bobonum and the shoddy "welding" jobs they did as repairs on those? It included throwing on a collar, welding that to the 2 broken tube ends (creating stress risers) and not even stripping before or repainting after. Priceless.

yea.....i have to agree with you guys....all the people i talked to so far told me about the same thing...since its out of production its gonna be a pain in the a$$ getting parts for it. A friend of mine told me that balfas are still in production (which i figured was wrong as hell, since the last BB7 produced was in 2003). He said that Balfa in the UK is still operational. I dont think he's right....but then again i dont know....anyone know anything about that?

mandown said:
there is a UK company that bought the name and the remaining inventory
http://www.balfa.co.uk/balfa/balfa_bb7.php3

you could get stuff from them.

appalache cycles is being run by the former balfa guys. maybe they would help you out with a repair of something broke (for a small price).

http://www.appalachecycles.com/index.html
Pretty sure Jamie didn't buy the name, just the rest of the stock and spares.

I hated my Balfa. Really didn't get on with it at all. My hatred of 5ths probably didn't help matters. Sold it and got a DHR w/DHX. Wish i'de done it sooner!

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
AR_ said:
Pretty sure Jamie didn't buy the name, just the rest of the stock and spares.

I hated my Balfa. Really didn't get on with it at all. My hatred of 5ths probably didn't help matters. Sold it and got a DHR w/DHX. Wish i'de done it sooner!
interesting that they are using the name and the logo if they did not buy it. not saying you are wrong, just saying that it is interesting.

mandown said:
interesting that they are using the name and the logo if they did not buy it. not saying you are wrong, just saying that it is interesting.
Yeah, we were all a bit confused this side of the pond too :D I presume they're just allowed to use the name to sell the stock, and so people know where to go for spares etc. Afterall Balfa don't make them anymore, but can't really say "Hey we never made those! Take our names off them!".

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
mandown said:
I believe he just got the left over stock and is allowed to operate under that name to sell the stuff off. Not 100% sure though.

The old Balfa guys are probably not interested in going out of their way to help out someone when their company got bought and shut down.

Either way, they are no longer in production.

skyst3alth

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Denver, CO
I went from a bb7 w/ avy and avy DHF to a Turner. I loved the bb7, it was really low, slack and heavy, but loved it to pieces.

The turner i'm still getting used to, but it's damn light which makes it ride alot better. I think i'm liking the DHR more, but i'll always have a spot in my heart for bb7's, definetly sweet bikes.

I don't think you can go wrong either way.

-Adam

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I vote go the BB7 for sure.
Cromo swingrm,easy to get fixed if you ever have issues(I doubt),read the fine print,transcend saw alot of breaks but he saw a ****load of Balfas.
If you ride rocky trails I don't recon any of the other bikes listed will handle that type of riding better. If it already has a shock just run that before throwing cash at an Avy. Not hackin on the Avy it would be sweet but run whats in it first.

no skid marks said:
If it already has a shock just run that before throwing cash at an Avy. Not hackin on the Avy it would be sweet but run whats in it first.
Yea i know, the 1 i'm looking to buy already has an avy....trust me, if it didnt i wouldn't go and spend $600 on a new avy setup on an old bike...thanks for the advice though....anyone else want to comment on the BB7?

Hailight

Chimp
Mar 5, 2006
1600 dollars complete bike

I mean seriously, how much would you spend to fix a broken frame on a 1600 dollar bike?

Next: what would break? a steel rear end!? 10mm thick aluminum front triangle? If you break either one of the two you would break any other bike, too.

Silver Linkage Plates are somewhat a problem if you don't keep them tight enough but even if the wholes should wear out a little it doesn't really matter. And in case you should really completely destroy one of these, it's just a milled piece of aluminum.

That's what I think and in addition to that I'd way rather spent the money I have left by buying the cheaper balfa on biking trips.

i know the deal sounds great...but you see i'm going to be racing DH with a team, and to be honest i'm not sure if the Balfa would make for a raceworthy or race winning rig (its supposedly really heavy)...and honestly i dont need the money for biking trips....i'm mainly racing locally or just would drive for 3 hours to get to plattekill in NY where i'll be racing as well.....thanks for the advice though...anyone else have anything?

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
I raced my 2003 for 3 years on the same circuit as Fraiser. I never had any problems. I'm an average size guy. And I never saw or heard of any of the 2002 and up breaking. They can weigh a bit much, but it's a solid bike and for 1600 that is great. I just parted with mine for more then that and it still hurt.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
819 said:
I raced my 2003 for 3 years on the same circuit as Fraiser. I never had any problems. I'm an average size guy. And I never saw or heard of any of the 2002 and up breaking. They can weigh a bit much, but it's a solid bike and for 1600 that is great. I just parted with mine for more then that and it still hurt.
Wait, you never saw a single Balfa with an issue? You must not have been paying attention, 'cus I have seen lots of cracked balfas. Although, cannot specify the years.

2002 and up...that gives you 2 production years before they closed up. Although the last one I saw broken was a white one from the last year they made them (with the machined sides).

Like I said, I have seen more than my fare share break, but I also ride in areas where at times, 50% of the bikes on the mountain have been balfas. That's like saying a lot of fox RCs blow, when they were specced on every almost every bike for 3 years running.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Personally I'd rather the BB7 than a demo,especially for racing. Transcend saw a up to 50% of Balfas at some stage,yes in Canada where they're made but still that says something.
My last BB7 weighed 39lbs with 40s,thats a real non exagirated 39lb. Fairly light for such a beast of a smash anything bike.
Low COG for racing.
I had them with Fox RCs and 5ths and I did like the platform 5th better but I recon an Avvy would feel great in one.
I'll shut up now,I just find it hard not to say great things about the BB7.

BRM

Chimp
Apr 30, 2006
All bikes will have ISSUES if someone on a Internet site asks the question..Whats better X, Y or Z? My Giant DH has Issues for some but it's the best bike FOR MY RIDING STYLE. (which is fast and hard Boooyaaaa);] So you should get one.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Forget swingarm problems, it's getting replacement pulleys that'll kill you...unless the pulley from the new Appalache frame is compatible.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
zedro said:
as long as you get the aluminum body pulley, it's just a standard cog to replace after it wears.
Ok, let me rephrase it then...

If you can assure the 'aluminum pulley bodies' from the Appalache are compatible with the BB7, that'll be a plus for you.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
ChrisRobin said:
Ok, let me rephrase it then...

If you can assure the 'aluminum pulley bodies' from the Appalache are compatible with the BB7, that'll be a plus for you.
is the pulley subject to wear and abuse? change the cog, change the bearings, good as new. right?

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
mandown said:
is the pulley subject to wear and abuse? change the cog, change the bearings, good as new. right?
I'm not sure. When someone here asks about BB7s, the first thing that comes to mind are the people in the last few years asking or looking for replacement pulleys.

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
Transcend said:
Wait, you never saw a single Balfa with an issue? You must not have been paying attention, 'cus I have seen lots of cracked balfas. Although, cannot specify the years.

2002 and up...that gives you 2 production years before they closed up. Although the last one I saw broken was a white one from the last year they made them (with the machined sides).

Like I said, I have seen more than my fare share break, but I also ride in areas where at times, 50% of the bikes on the mountain have been balfas. That's like saying a lot of fox RCs blow, when they were specced on every almost every bike for 3 years running.
Acutally I've never seen a broke one at all. I've heard the old 2step regulars used to loose headtubes if you put a dual crown on but that was about it. Then again like you said you have probably seen many more of them then me.

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
ChrisRobin said:
Forget swingarm problems, it's getting replacement pulleys that'll kill you...unless the pulley from the new Appalache frame is compatible.
The new appalache pullys dont' fit, but Jerome is making replacement pullies for BB7s.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
ChrisRobin said:
I'm not sure. When someone here asks about BB7s, the first thing that comes to mind are the people in the last few years asking or looking for replacement pulleys.
older pulleys had plastic carriers, the newer ones with aluminum carriers dont need replacing. Like Mandown said, new cog (12t i think), new bearings, good to go. I made my own by hacking off a freehub body and sandwiching it between some Al plates....certainly not rocket science, but it needs to be sturdy.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I had an '03 and had reletively few issues with it. The pulley held up fine, as did the swingarm. The steel swingarm would be cheap to repair.
The main pivot bearing is disgustingly undersized and mine had rub issues, but it was a great riding bike. I dumped it cause it was always a bit to short for me.

I'm on a DHR now. Far and away a better bike. But much pricier too. If the price is good on the BB7, I'd hit it.

loulou

Chimp
Nov 2, 2004
montreal
Yeah I dont know what bearing load ratings are!
I got lucky and bearing lasted for years on bb7s.
Keep it on Zedro!

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
loulou said:
I got lucky and bearing lasted for years on bb7s.

No they didn't. They froze after 3 weeks and the plates just pivoted on the conical ends of the groosely undersized shaft that was supposed to hold the rear end on. Luckily, the shaft bent, so it would be really hard to get it out.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
buildyourown said:
No they didn't. They froze after 3 weeks and the plates just pivoted on the conical ends of the groosely undersized shaft that was supposed to hold the rear end on. Luckily, the shaft bent, so it would be really hard to get it out.
yeah the bearings on bb7s are grossly undersized. they should have known from the start not to put bearings that small in the spot on the frame that recieves the most stress. or they couldve at least added one more bearing to each side