Quantcast

Ball hitch to 1-1/4" receiver? Does it exist?

Apr 8, 2009
Santa Rosa, CA
I have a Yakima hitch mount rack that fits the 1-1/4" receiver on my small SUV. I also have a Ford Explorer with a 2" hitch ball on it. Does anyone out there know of an adapter which will convert that 2" hitch ball into a 1-1/4" receiver? I wanted to have the option of putting my bike rack on my Explorer if I needed to.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I think the OP is trying to make a bumper mounted ball into a receiver. I don't think such a thing exists. You're going to have to buy a hitch.

Apr 8, 2009
Santa Rosa, CA
Yes, they are relatively common. See U-Haul for starters.

http://www.prolineracks.com/hitch-adapters.html

And I just goggled "2" hitch converter" and hit the first link...
I had already searched through all the different word combinations on Google before I posted here. I am not looking for a receiver adapter.

I think the OP is trying to make a bumper mounted ball into a receiver. I don't think such a thing exists. You're going to have to buy a hitch.
That is exactly what I was looking for and exatcly what I didn't want to hear.:banghead: lol

I guess I will just have to suck it up and buy a hitch with a 2" or 1-1/4" receiver on it.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
You will never find an adapter for a ball mount to a hitch mount. even if someone was stupid enough to make such a thing, there is no way to add the needed stability that one would need. The reason you use a ball mount for trailers id the built in "flex" as the mount pivots around the ball.

Apr 8, 2009
Santa Rosa, CA
Ok, what if I go in a different direction? How about replacing the ball mount completely? The crappy thing about the hitch on my Explorer is that the ball is directly mounted to the bumper. Anyone know of any products out there that can replace the ball with a square receiver?

I saw this on ebay, but I haven't got a confirmation from the seller that this would do what I want.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
if the ball is mounted to your bumper on your Explorer, then its not a hitch.

as The Joker said, you cant replace the ball with a 1 1/4" or 2" receiver...theres no reason for someone to make that.
1 1/4" hitches are pretty cheap to begin with so why take the chance or rigging something up?

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
That ebay thing looks like a bad idea.

Shop craigslist or go to the junk yard or something, but they are only $110 new.

Apr 8, 2009
Santa Rosa, CA
That's kinda what I'm looking at now. I just need it sturdy enough to hold my bike rack with bikes on it. My buddy is a welder, so he said he could probably put something together for me. I want to keep it simple, so it'll probably be just a plate with a 1-1/4" receiver welded to it then mounted under the bumper (flush against the front of the bumper) with the ball going through both.

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
If your friend is a welder and you have a donor receiver, then it would cake to fab up the rest to your frame.