Quantcast

BAM - slicker than Teflon, hard almost like diamond

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
Maybe some of you already heard about it. When searching for friction coefficient of MTB tyre rubber on different materials, I found a link to an older article at New Scientist.
Boron-Aluminium-Magnesium alloy with Titanium Boride :eek: (why did I hate chemistry on high school ?:( ) has friction coeff. only 0.02 and is 2nd hardest material.

A very interesting are words about potential reason of its slipperiness:
...boron interacts with oxygen to make tiny amounts of boron oxide on its surface. They would attract water molecules from the air, to make a slippery coating.
"It's almost as if it's a self-lubricating surface. You don't need to add oil or other lubricants. It's inherently slippery."

Bushings coated with this could be greatly resistant to dust/sand/mud and work even better in humid environment. Not saying about sliding surfaces of tele-forks or shocks.

What do you think?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Prolly has the same problem as all the advanced materials - cost.
I'd love to see more components(or bikes!) made from CNT (only easton makes bars out of it and they have ****ty angles) but the costs would be mad.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Back in the 90's Marzocchi had a model of fork(s) with that nomenclature. (the Z1 BAM I believe). Wonder if that's what they used on the stanchions...

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Back in the 90's Marzocchi had a model of fork(s) with that nomenclature. (the Z1 BAM I believe). Wonder if that's what they used on the stanchions...
Those forks had 2 piece lowers....the upper arch portion was made of Magnesium not sure if was an alloy or not. Maybe that's where the BAM came from....

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
What about answer pro tapers or sunline bars? You like those angles?
The CNT Easton DH bars only come in hi-rise.....at least until last year. They would sell approx 785% more of them if they made a low rise....

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Those forks had 2 piece lowers....the upper arch portion was made of Magnesium not sure if was an alloy or not. Maybe that's where the BAM came from....
BAM on those stood for Bomber Aerospace Material or something stupid like that. Was no reference to any particular alloy as far as I recall.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
That has absolutely nothing to do with my question. ;)

I'm assuming he just meant the upsweep and backsweep angles.
Actualy I meant everything - rise, width to backsweep and upsweep ratios. The bars were indestructible but they made me ride in such funky position it took a long time to adjust and even than a jump to a wide flat feels like a huuuuge improvement. They were light and really bombproof but felt like poo.

About the new easton - isn't it the new alu one, not the cnt one in 760/low rise?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Actualy I meant everything - rise, width to backsweep and upsweep ratios. The bars were indestructible but they made me ride in such funky position it took a long time to adjust and even than a jump to a wide flat feels like a huuuuge improvement. They were light and really bombproof but felt like poo.

About the new easton - isn't it the new alu one, not the cnt one in 760/low rise?
That's why I asked if you liked answer pro tapers or sunlines.

Like deitys or anything else?

On a side note: how are those easton CNTs holding up? Has someone finally made a carbon bar that doesn't blow up after a few scratches?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
That's why I asked if you liked answer pro tapers or sunlines.

Like deitys or anything else?

On a side note: how are those easton CNTs holding up? Has someone finally made a carbon bar that doesn't blow up after a few scratches?

I liked protapers (old narrow ones), fun fatboys ( I think), tioga dh a bit better and my new element technic 760 much better (the flats are amazing).

As for bars - they held better than any bars I've had. I always end bending bars from tree clips and rock smashes and the cnts worked flawlessly (I still have them, just wanted new angles) for 2.5 seasons.
This is how they looked after ~1.5 season.

ucsbMTBmember

Monkey
Nov 20, 2009
the CNT on the easton bars is what holds them together. With a normal carbon layup tears the in the carbon just propagate rapidly. the CNTs stop the cracks from getting any bigger. makes for a much more crash resistant bar.