Quantcast

Banshee Legdend

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
It's nice but any feedback besides the photos? Ride review etc.?

BTW. Legdend? Ppl at banshee really have spelling problems ;)

builttoride

Chimp
Jan 21, 2007
Acually it is still Legend MkI, the MkII will be the bike that is produced later in the year after modifying and improving the design based on rider feedback.

nice pics guys!

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Both of those are dead sexy... Pretty awesome builds. But yeah, let's hear some ride reports! Impressions, thoughts!

PS - Yeah, have heard they will crack.........if run over by a tank. But only if dipped in liquid nitrogen first. Honestly though, not heard anything, and I own one...

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Just got email from one of the shops. They will be available for normal folks around mid summer. :/ That kinda kills the bike for me.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Yeah, must have NOW! That's the modern way.

I waited 6 months extra for my proto, all good things come to those who wait. Yeah, you can walk into the show room and walk out with a Ford. But you got to wait if you want a Ferrari...

norbar

Jun 7, 2007

I waited 6 months extra for my proto, all good things come to those who wait. Yeah, you can walk into the show room and walk out with a Ford. But you got to wait if you want a Ferrari...
Yeah, lets rebel and not ride for half a season. That's really the smartest aproach.
I simply don't understand why in 09 many bikes are to be released in mid season. Previously most companies sorted the prototyping before thier season so ppl wouldn't have to hussle with switching all the parts in mid season. Also some ppl sell thier bikes after their season. (actualy not my case but I simply know it's a hussle to get everything corect with the bike and it's better to do it before the racing season.)

Also the whole ferrari crap... One thing. Morewood with dual bos is already available.

Last edited:

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Well, buy a Morewood then! Great bike, great suspension! There's a whole load of nice bikes you can have NOW!

But I'm not bothered to wait for something I really want, and in this case something I think is better than anything else out there (IMHO). Banshee is two guys trying really hard to make the best bikes they can, and there was no doubt there was going to be delays in the prototyping process. They just want to make sure everything's right.

They could just wait and make it available for the 2010 pre-season, I suppose that would make you happy...

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Actualy there is very litte choice in bikes that fit my criteria at the moment and the price of both of them has recently went up due to currency rise/drop (depending on the point of view). Also the morewood is crazy expensive. I used it just as an argument as I don't **** with cash and I can get a deal on banshee. Also where I stated I want it now. I'm happy with any bike will be able to set into riding shape at end of march/begining of april. Some ppl simply want the bike for riding it not wanking to thier order confirmation while sitting at home.

Ps. Are you trying to be an asshole or are you a natural?

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Yeah, cause clearly the morewood and commencal are EXACTLY THE SAME as the banshee.

I agree that companies putting out bikes mid season is completely stupid, but there are a few factors. Delays at the factory, delays caused by discovered faults, and the general fact that DH is a tiny sector of the market and usually gets put last. Look at Turner.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
It seems like its often the norm and people should no not the sell their old bikes too soon. Also how do you define the season anyway with people riding DH on both northern and southern hemisphere. I am sure August is perfect timing in Australia.

phingerhex

Chimp
Mar 3, 2006
oakland/pacifica
I got ride one recently.

Formed a few opinions, but they are based off not a correct set up of suspension.

1) SUPER progressive rear suspension. Most of the time I felt like I was riding a 4" trail bike. I tried on a 450lbs spring and 600lbs spring. Can't really say this suspension design is good or bad. The rear shock was not tuned/setup really, so, any dislikes I had could be because of that.

2) Felt pretty stable. I normally ride a L frame, this one I road was a S. Handled well in the air and geo seemed to be good to go.

3) Rear Shock bolts are on drive side. Hard to get to.

4) Didn't really have to pedal the bike on this trail, so can't say if it pedals well. I've heard it might not, can't say for sure. Hell, my current bike doesn't "pedal well" but I'm not going to trade it anytime soon.

5) There are a lot of welds and pieces to the frame. Seems maybe over done. Bike was kind of heavy. Don't know frame weight though.

I'll say one thing. I had fun on it. But I was itching real bad to ride.

builttoride

Chimp
Jan 21, 2007
wow thats a heavy spring for a legend, the 450lbs spring would only be used if you weighed about 260lbs and 600lbs spring.. well thats for a 350pounder!

I've switched the bolt to insert from non drive side already.

frame weight is around 8.5lbs for a medium.

phingerhex

Chimp
Mar 3, 2006
oakland/pacifica
wow thats a heavy spring for a legend, the 450lbs spring would only be used if you weighed about 260lbs and 600lbs spring.. well thats for a 350pounder!

I've switched the bolt to insert from non drive side already.

frame weight is around 8.5lbs for a medium.
450lbs seemed fine when testing out before the ride, but during riding the rear just squished too much. Again, could have been many reasons it felt that way. Front fork could have been too stiff, bike was a S and I'm 6'4" 240lbs, or ....

I put the 600lbs spring on for rides 2 and 3 and it seemed to help keep the back end up in a better position.

builttoride

Chimp
Jan 21, 2007
Well a 450lbs spring should be the right spring for you for DH if you weigh 240lbs and are riding in the 8.5" mode.

phingerhex

Chimp
Mar 3, 2006
oakland/pacifica
Well a 450lbs spring should be the right spring for you for DH if you weigh 240lbs and are riding in the 8.5" mode.
what would the sage % be on that. because the bike seemed to really eat through the first bit of travel.

i've had that issue on another bike i've ridden and with the eating through the first 3rd to half of the travel so quickly i had a lot of pedal bashing issues.

builttoride

Chimp
Jan 21, 2007
about 33% sag. It has a low BB as it is a DH race bike, the trick to avoid bashing pedals is to go so fast that you skip across the top off all the rocks and roots.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
I heard from a little birdy they are cracking and stopped production on them recently...any word on that from owners?
Don't know about stopping production (don't know if they're even IN production yet?), but yes the swingarms are having problems. Unfortunately this is because they weren't manufactured to the correct specs; there is a machined out corner just near where the upper link pivot is that was supposed to be a filleted radius, however the factory for some reason machined it out square. This obviously creates a stress riser - if anyone remembers some of the issues Kona had with seatstays about 7 years ago due to machining stuff like that, same deal. Mine has small cracks on both sides. This is a pretty easy thing to rectify obviously - smack the machinist upside the head and tell him to read the drawings properly. I wouldn't stress about it for production, Banshee will sort it out.

I got ride one recently.

Formed a few opinions, but they are based off not a correct set up of suspension.

1) SUPER progressive rear suspension. Most of the time I felt like I was riding a 4" trail bike. I tried on a 450lbs spring and 600lbs spring. Can't really say this suspension design is good or bad. The rear shock was not tuned/setup really, so, any dislikes I had could be because of that.

2) Felt pretty stable. I normally ride a L frame, this one I road was a S. Handled well in the air and geo seemed to be good to go.

3) Rear Shock bolts are on drive side. Hard to get to.

4) Didn't really have to pedal the bike on this trail, so can't say if it pedals well. I've heard it might not, can't say for sure. Hell, my current bike doesn't "pedal well" but I'm not going to trade it anytime soon.

5) There are a lot of welds and pieces to the frame. Seems maybe over done. Bike was kind of heavy. Don't know frame weight though.

I'll say one thing. I had fun on it. But I was itching real bad to ride.
You're 6'4" and rode a small? That's a bit wack - I'm 6'2" and ride a large! You should be on a large or at the very least a medium, the small will be tiny under you.

1. Yeah I'd say shock setup would be the issue here, either that or maybe you're not used to DH bikes? I'm about 200lbs and run a 350lbs spring (have also run a 400 but liked the 350 better). They are meant to be soft. However, they are geometrically not super progressive - fairly linear in actual fact. If you're running a 600lbs spring on the thing, of course it won't use its travel properly - that's way too stiff.

3. Yep also noticed this issue, will be changed for production I'm told.

4. Having spent a bit of time on it, it does pedal better than pretty well anything else. Sundays are the only bike I've ridden that pedal better.

5. The frame weight is very reasonable, about the same as a Sunday.

what would the sage % be on that. because the bike seemed to really eat through the first bit of travel.

i've had that issue on another bike i've ridden and with the eating through the first 3rd to half of the travel so quickly i had a lot of pedal bashing issues.
The bike is designed to use the initial travel quite easily, that's what gets you small bump sensitivity and grip. Don't take this as a personal attack but I get the impression you're not really used to DH bikes? Pedal bashing is pretty easy to avoid once you get used to it - my BB height is now 13.7" and I don't have any issues. I don't think it's the bike blowing through travel that's causing you issues there, more likely to be that you're not used to such a low sagged BB height. Again, please don't take that as a personal flame or whatever.

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
I heard from a little birdy they are cracking and stopped production on them recently...any word on that from owners?
My buddy just got a call saying that his will be here this weekend, so I'd say nothing has stopped.

Just got email from one of the shops. They will be available for normal folks around mid summer. :/ That kinda kills the bike for me.
Mid summer? I don't think they've even got the first 50 prototypes out there yet and changes are still being made. Full production by summer would surprise me.

'

Ferrari? Come on now and no offence to Banshee but you don't know what you're getting yet. A bike that looks nice and the numbers look good on paper but it's hardly been in existence long enough for that kind of praise. And even if you want to call if a Ferrari this year, it'll be a Ford next year when anyone can walk in and buy one. Personally I'd prefer the Ford version, after all the querks have been worked out. I bought a Totem 2 step in it's first year....no alot of faith in first production runs.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Ferrari? Come on now and no offence to Banshee but you don't know what you're getting yet.
Hey, just an opinion. In fact, I do know what I'm getting, because I've got one, and I reckon it's pretty much a ferrari. Its accelerates like a ferrari. It corners like a ferrari. And with the I9 rear hub, when you come off the throttle, it sounds like a ferrari... :biggrin:

Only problem is that it's green...

PS - Norbar, sorry I came accross a bit rude.

phingerhex

Chimp
Mar 3, 2006
oakland/pacifica
Again, please don't take that as a personal flame or whatever.
No worries. Not offended. I did mention that I was riding a small, and the shock most likely wasn't set up correctly, so any of my observations should be taken as such.

What I don't understand though was that, regardless of S or L frame, if 450lbs spring was 'correct' for my weight, the suspension should have then been working 'correctly'. Right? But, it seemed something was going on. If the bike is 'not' progressive, than it felt strange that it was so soft at the beginning of the travel and so much harder at the end. Maybe the bottom out or something in the shock was wrong.

Although, when riding it w/ the 450lbs spring the bike just seemed too 'soft' and had too much sag. With the 600lbs spring on the bike it seemed, obviously, to have less sag and ride higher in the travel. It just felt better.

Small bumps with the 600lbs spring on were a bit sharper but once it started going it felt fine. With the 450lbs spring the suspension was very soft on the small bumps but seemed to run up against the bottom out too quickly.

Anyways, it is just want I noticed about that particular one that I road, which I admit, most likely wasn't set up correctly.

Csquared

Chimp
Feb 22, 2006
Utah
dont u remember?

you looked all OMGWTFZZ

and you said "looks flexy, wonder can i get one in rootbeer.."

Hope you know I was trying to tease Jay that was standing right there-
But I couldn't get his attention-
:rant:

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
hey, i gotta say that in raw, or silver w.e you want to call it the frame looks beautifal and cbj you need not wait till mid summer, rumor has it a size medium with a fox dhx and a 888 ata will be making a debut at diablo in early may ;)

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
hey, i gotta say that in raw, or silver w.e you want to call it the frame looks beautifal and cbj you need not wait till mid summer, rumor has it a size medium with a fox dhx and a 888 ata will be making a debut at diablo in early may ;)
All that matters is that you ride it :cupidarrow:

Csquared

Chimp
Feb 22, 2006
Utah
hey Chris so the Legend have the same suspension design like the F1 Jedi?
You mean like- its a parallel link suspension-

It does run a high to low pivot spread- which is a trait of all Canfield's-

But ride the legend and then ride the Jedi- and you tell me-

boone

Monkey
Jun 27, 2005
185lbs and running a 300lb spring on my Legend. You really gotta have the right shock set-up on this thing man, otherwise it will be all over the place (not unlike other bikes :) ). And yes it sags nicely when you get it set right. My static BB height is 14.12" and has about 33-35% sag...yes it sags nice and low when you are on it. With the low COG coupled with a low BB it really carves the corners HARD!

Pictures and opinions when I actually have some good ride time in!

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Definitely post all ride reviews etc in regards to the legend (i'm curious about the performance of the BOS suspension I hear great things about it...)