Quantcast

Banshee Legend in Team Green, Pics and Ride Report

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Yeah I'd agree. Could you make it out of some sort of steel, and maintain the same stiffness? Perishable frames suck. Yes most are short lived(perishable), and they all suck for it.
I think you'll find that the strength and fatigue life of many (not necessarily all) steel frames are actually inferior to their aluminium counterparts. The differences in design of aluminium and steel components (larger tubes, more weld area, wider spaced stuff due to the lower density etc) means that whilst the tensile strength-to-weight of steel is comparable (or sometimes even better) than aluminium, and the lifespan usually better, there is actually a far lower stress level in aluminium frames simply due to the larger 2nd moments of area of the tubes, links, welds and other structural interfaces.

Basically - anything can last a long time if designed properly when it's made to race-spec weight (by which I mean, around the 10-11lbs mark with shock, which most frames are these days). Making something out of steel instead of aluminium won't necessarily increase or decrease its lifespan, and I think this is a pretty common misconception.

Last edited:

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
a quick heads up for any UK riders interested in the Legend ;)

word is that it will be available in the UK from spring 2009 onwards, for around GBP£1500 with Fox DHX 5 coil shock

it will come into the UK under the "Mythic" brand name, as we cannot retail "Banshee" into the UK due to an issue with a large distributor that owns that name

its only the downtube sticker that changes, everything else is the same...

Rob Cole
Freeborn Bikes (importers of Mythic / Devinci / Ellsworth)

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Light alluminium (or carbon,hell even steel)frames that won't last are unneccassery and are ****. Frames can and should last for at least 3 seasons at pro level. Or, if they're made in Taiwan/China cheap(like most are),they should be sold for a hell of a lot less. Too much money is being made from cheaply made DH frames, they're not worth it for a season or two, and they're manufacturing cost doesn't warrant it. I apreciate the Banshee is at the expensive end of it's developement, so this doesn't apply yet.
Sorry for the derail, and I know that one year is what you can expect from 95% of DH bikes, so I'm not having a go squarely at Banshee.

Last edited: