Quantcast

Banshee Legend

BALOG

Chimp
Mar 3, 2004
This is probably the 3rd frame to be assembled.

The bike is already Pan-American champion in both Elite and Junior classes, with Markolf Berchtold and Marcelo Guitierez.

I had the chance to take the first proto in my hands and it´s really impressive, very light for a full blown DH machine and Markolf said it´s the most stable bike he has ever ridden (he raced for Globar Racing Team with an Orange 223, for Maxxis MSC with the F2.0, F3.0 and F4.0).

This is his bike:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
it's hard to imagine this is the same banshee that was putting out those cobbled-together tanks in 2003.

RaID

Turbo Monkey
thats a crap load of machining around the shock area

i bet that wont be cheap to manufacture on a larger scale.

Is it safe to say that frame is one of the prototypes rather then an earlier version
of the consumer product?

Looks good though

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I love my cobbled together tank. It is indestructable.
I was gonna say...my bud is still banging one around and it's gettin it done. I can't imagine what he could do on something 15 lbs lighter with REAL geo! Let's see...16" BB height, Fox Vanilla shock(MIGHT be an R!), and a high 60+ degree HA with a 888?!
Whatever, I'm riding an "ideal" bike for DH and he's beating the crap out of me!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I can understand the need for the extensive machining - its the only reasonable way to get the pivots and shock mount where they want to get the leverage/wheelpath/etc they want without have some crazy honking tube set. Frankly I think the frame is gorgeous and I really want to ride one based geo's I have seen. Than, and the VERY early ride reports (which maybe not be reliable). Just being a little skeptical but I like what I see so far.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
The machining is that detailed because it's still being CNC'd, the final production versions I believe will be using forgings instead (or at least that was the original plan, that might have ended up being too expensive for all I know).

I do have one question though: where the f**k is mine?! :)

JewBagel

Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
oregon
Don't forget the price, drum roll please...
3,000$

I was looking at that initially and figured it would cost less than the Canfield Jedi, so I e-mailed Banshee. Sick frame, but really, 3k? Good luck with that.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
The machining is that detailed because it's still being CNC'd, the final production versions I believe will be using forgings instead (or at least that was the original plan, that might have ended up being too expensive for all I know).

I do have one question though: where the f**k is mine?! :)
Sometimes the costs of the molds for forging parts is only worth it, if you are selling a certain quantity, below that quantity it is cheaper to CNC (economies of scale). Furthermore, being that the first year they want to make only 50 frames and have the right people racing/riding on them leads me to believe that they might do it later but for now it is probably cost prohibitive.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Sometimes the costs of the molds for forging parts is only worth it, if you are selling a certain quantity, below that quantity it is cheaper to CNC (economies of scale). Furthermore, being that the first year they want to make only 50 frames and have the right people racing/riding on them leads me to believe that they might do it later but for now it is probably cost prohibitive.
Yeah precisely, this is what Keith (builttoride) said too. The molds apparently cost like US$100k+ each... that'd be $2000 per frame for the first run!

boone

Monkey
Jun 27, 2005
Soooooo Hot! Damn I cannot wait :)
If it rides anything like their newly refined 114mm travel "XC" bike the Pyre, it is gonna kick ass a DH bike. Updated geo looks pretty interesting...

Bring em on baby!!

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle

That's why the frames are 3g's.
The billet alone is a couple hundred dollars, plus 6-10hrs machine time. Even in Asia, that ain't cheap.
I remember seeing the original demo 9 proto - all billet. Same with the Rocky flatlines.

redride

Monkey
Sep 23, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
My Legend:

Built it up today...
Sub 40lbs...

My Parts List:

Mavic 729 on Hadleys F&B or for FRO wheel set (DT Swiss FR2350)
FOx 40 RC2 (Using Ben's at the moment while waiting for mine. Thanks Ben)
Thompson Elite Seatpost and Stem
SDG Seat
ODI Grips (Is there any other?)
XTR rear shifter
'08 XT brakeset
Deity Dirty 30s
Ultegra 9 sp RD
SRAM cassette
Maxxis Minnions DHF on front and Back
FSA Gravity Lights 165mm (83mm - will be for sale soon) - to be replaced with Middleburn Crankset
Atomlab Aircorps Pedals
E-13 LG-1 chainguide
FSA PIG headset

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
any ride reports? I rode one for about 200 feet down phodog at northstar, and it made me verrrry curious.

cencalballer

Chimp
Feb 22, 2007
redride your bike is gorgeous i want. if iever find the time to build and race or ride on a regular base this would be the frame i think. im on my second banshee frame the first was hit by a car and hel up my morphine is great

redride

Monkey
Sep 23, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
thanks cencalballer...

the rear is soo stiff its crazy. i can easily take it down to 37lbs. its now already sub 40 without much effort. Standover height is crazy! all in all, its a crazy bike!!!

Cant wait to unleash it on the DH track!!!

cencalballer

Chimp
Feb 22, 2007
thanks cencalballer...

the rear is soo stiff its crazy. i can easily take it down to 37lbs. its now already sub 40 without much effort. Standover height is crazy! all in all, its a crazy bike!!!

Cant wait to unleash it on the DH track!!!
when you do make sure to get video and pics i wanna see it in action

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
Don't forget the price, drum roll please...
3,000$

I was looking at that initially and figured it would cost less than the Canfield Jedi, so I e-mailed Banshee. Sick frame, but really, 3k? Good luck with that.

Am I the only one who finds this absolutely hilarious??

(look at the username)

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
yet another DW rip off.....

wait...or is bashee paying the rigths?
Er yeah, or Karpiel ripoff, or PDC ripoff, or World Force ripoff, or Trek ripoff, or any-number-of-other-vaguely-similar-looking-bikes ripoff. It doesn't copy or infringe the DW-link patents because despite having a vaguely similar looking layout, the performance characteristics are significantly different. The axle path is more rearwards and the centre of curvature position and motion is completely different to any DW-link bike for starters. How do I know? Because obviously unlike yourself, I've read the patents and mapped both the Legend and the Sunday out. I also happen to be one of the few people who've ridden both, and I can verify that the ride characteristics are noticeably different.

In short: kindly shut your trap when you have no idea what you're talking about.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
Am I the only one who finds this absolutely hilarious??

(look at the username)

Haha well spotted. That's bloody hilarious.

Some of the people above need to get a sense of humour. Over PC tossers.