Quantcast

banshee rampant or specialized sx

dest

Monkey
Aug 1, 2006
NYCity
which do you think is better cause it come down to that. i want the one thats lightest . anyone know the weight of a 2011 sx? i know the rampant weights 7 lbs with shock and can be builded up light but i can get a good deal from my shop on the spezh their not banshee dealers so i dont know. the spezh's bb height is low almost to low? opions please?

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I would go spesh all the way, i have a wildcard, and cant even begin to tell u what a POS it is, and how crappy their CS is, id never buy another banshee(which is a shame bcuz the product isnt bad, its just the company) ESPECIALLY if you are in the US. I snapped my chainstay on my 4th run from a weld that "missed" (90% on 1 part 10% on the other) denied warranty and had to wait 3 weeks to get them to let me order another 1, which i had to overnight from canada to make it to my race.(which cost 121 dollars+the new chainstay) The new chainstay came bent or deformed in some way because its mega hard to get the wheel into it. product is great, but their CS and QC arent so good.

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
I would go spesh all the way, i have a wildcard, and cant even begin to tell u what a POS it is, and how crappy their CS is, id never buy another banshee(which is a shame bcuz the product isnt bad, its just the company) ESPECIALLY if you are in the US. I snapped my chainstay on my 4th run from a weld that "missed" (90% on 1 part 10% on the other) denied warranty and had to wait 3 weeks to get them to let me order another 1, which i had to overnight from canada to make it to my race.(which cost 121 dollars+the new chainstay) The new chainstay came bent or deformed in some way because its mega hard to get the wheel into it. product is great, but their CS and QC arent so good.
Odd. Every other person I have ever talked to has had great things to say about Banshee as a company. Same goes for the forums. :think:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I just built up a 2011 SX........like I just literally just walked in from the garage. I didn't weigh the frame because I didn't care. Not much to it weight wise. I'd say it's either 7lbs or less. I can say this. It's stiff as hell.

BB is 12" with some smaller dirtjump tires. (Halo twin rails) Stoked about that. Those halo tires are pretty small though.There's no such thing as a bottom bracket that's too low.

I've seen some guys killing it on those rampants on some big stuff. I doubt either is a bad choice.

Last edited:

dest

Monkey
Aug 1, 2006
NYCity
I just built up a 2011 SX........like I just literally just walked in from the garage. I didn't weigh the frame because I didn't care. Not much to it weight wise. I'd say it's either 7lbs or less. I can say this. It's stiff as hell.

BB is 12" with some smaller dirtjump tires. (Halo twin rails) Stoked about that. Those halo tires are pretty small though.There's no such thing as a bottom bracket that's too low.

I've seen some guys killing it on those rampants on some big stuff. I doubt either is a bad choice.
woo so you think it weighted about 7 lbs ? thats good i just dont want a 9 lbs frame which is what they quote for the 2009 sx which is the same frame. im not a weight wennie but i do want a nice light bike this time around. pics of your build please and final weight would be great if you dont mind? i know you got the short i'll need the long is it true the long feels more like a trail bike.

OffCamber

Monkey
May 27, 2005
Loxahatchee, Fl
I've got a large 2010 SX and the frame weighs 7.5lbs with shock. The BB sits at 12.25 with 2.25 Crossmarks. This is my second SX, had an 06 also. I love them. I'm 5'8 but like a long TT and run 35mm stem. I can't speak for the short but what I like about the bike is that it can be used for anything. With seat lowered the cockpit feels small like my P2 (also a long), but with it raised also feels like a trail bike. I prefer duarability to weight some my comes in at 33.5lbs. Definity my favorite bike, twice. Currenty with a Talas and air shock.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Odd. Every other person I have ever talked to has had great things to say about Banshee as a company. Same goes for the forums. :think:
well i know of 1 other person in real life that got ****ed by them (a good friend actually) Same deal as me except with a MK1? (silver/green) rode it and did all sorts of press releases and reviews, most of them you probably read (pinkbike) After a wihle riding he snapped the chain stay, they told him that it has no warranty since its a "prototype" (in the end he lucked out and got another chainstay, but only because "they couldnt sell it since it was a proto")

I dont wana hate on banshee, ill be honest, the bikes are pretty nice, its just the quality control/Customer service that sucks, especially being in the states.

builttoride

Chimp
Jan 21, 2007
well i know of 1 other person in real life that got ****ed by them (a good friend actually) Same deal as me except with a MK1? (silver/green) rode it and did all sorts of press releases and reviews, most of them you probably read (pinkbike) After a wihle riding he snapped the chain stay, they told him that it has no warranty since its a "prototype" (in the end he lucked out and got another chainstay, but only because "they couldnt sell it since it was a proto")

I dont wana hate on banshee, ill be honest, the bikes are pretty nice, its just the quality control/Customer service that sucks, especially being in the states.
You didn't get warranty because you were not original owner I believe, but you got crash replacement even tho you were second hand owner... correct me if I am wrong.

And original MkI owners were sold the frame at costs knowing they got 1 year cover for it, and everyone who has asked for anything got it ASAP. Plus they were offered MkII frames at cost price when they were avaliable.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Yes, that is true, but its arguable whether i am really not the first owner, i got the bike new from their filmer (the 1 that made the video thats posted here) i got it in the box, brand new. They only used it as a cop out since they didn't want to dish out the money for faulty products. The guy even told me it was warranty. along the lines of "yeah that is definitely warranty, not your fault at all, but since u didn't get it from a dealer, you are SOL"

Mine was from their wildcard commercial, would you say that watching the video above, that the rampant (the red/silver 1) was altered in anyway, and that after they sold it, that you wouldnt be the original owner, guess what, if i am correct, that red/silver 1 was/is for sale by him, does that mean that if you got that, its "used" do the cameras stress the welds?

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
Yes, that is true, but its arguable whether i am really not the first owner.
this is not debatable. your not the origional owner, you didnt buy it from an authorized dealer, im sure it wasnt even close to retail what you paid. there is nothing to complain about. so dont smash a awesome company like this online and thats all that you doing.

go with the banshee, there are a ton of local guys around me that ride rampants, wildcards, amps. all are great bikes, next to zero issues and GREAT customer service everytime something needed to be addressed. just buy the bike from a dealer like you should and everything will be smooth

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
^ you can flame every post i put on here, like u usually do, but guess what, specialized (you know, like the other option) has warrantied 3 (yes THREE) 2nd hand bikes of mine, including 1 that was custom painted and sandblasted. And even if thats the case, why did i have to wait 3 weeks, get nailed 120 in shipping because they are lazy, for a BENT chainstay, ill smash the company because they sell garbage, its not like im the only 1 that snaps their chainstays. out of 3 of my friends, 2 of us broke chainstays. Its also worth noting that your from CANADA, when you are from america, you have to go through trident sports (their USA distributor) who really, really, sucks. Most good companies that have good CS will warranty a frame if its THEIR fault. I wouldnt even bother trying to warranty it if i took it off the jaw drop, or ran it over with my truck, but 4 runs down diablos slalom course, isnt very abusive-and im MY opinion, shouldnt snap a bike that is meant for 360s backflips and tailwhips.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Yup, not broken, not a missed weld either

I would rather buy a bike that doesnt tend to snap, or at least has good CS. But i agree with them, it CLEARLY wouldnt have happened had i bought it from a store, only happens when you take pictures of them.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Got to ride my sx on some dirtjumps today without crippling hand pain.

Digging the geo, and the sturdiness. It's got a really linear or falling rate suspension though....as in, I never bottomed it but I used every bit of travel based on the shock ring thingy.....and I didn't hit anything very hard. I've got the shock so pressurized that the rebound damper is maxed out (220 psi). Seems like the frame is designed for pinning it on rough race courses. I don't know how the banshee rides, but that bit of info on the sx may help your decision depending on what you want to use it for. Seems like the sx would be good to use for the occasional trail ride. I'll never use it for that so I'm actually going to try to figure out a way to get it a little more progressive. I'm only interested in the dj side of things. Obviously that video that beast posted shows that banshee sure as hell won't hold you back in that regard. I wouldn't say this frame does either but the suspension characteristics surprised me a bit.

EDIT: oh yeah...I actually did weigh it yesterday. 34.7 lbs. It's no pixie.

And hopefully you've read demo9's posts in this thread and realize that his experience is that of someone who definitely isn't an original owner. Banshee makes good shlt these days, and they take care of their peeps.

Last edited:

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
Damn!! You straight crazy. I know that hand aint ready for that $hit you fiend.
Heal that **** so you can actually ride some big $hit with me in a couple months!!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I saw my x-rays from last week. As long as I don't stuff my hand into anything it's good to go. It hurt like hell riding on saturday but today actually felt pretty damn good. Plus I'll be sitting on my ass again this week.

So I'm ready to throw some dirt mang. Let me know when you're going back down there.

I just bought a friggin bike for that shlt, I won't be jeopardizing my chances at riding it...no foolin

Last edited:

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
bikes break doesnt matter what brand

SX broken on a weld

SX not broken on a weld

all im saying is your basing you opinion on a frame that isnt even the same frame (but from the same manufacturer) that yours came from. I dont think there is any frame out there that has had a flawless warrenty rating, it sucks that you got one that broke, but im sure other people have as well. just dont go bad talking a company due to 1 one bad experience. Im sure banshee rate of return is far lower then specialized, intense, trek, almost anything out there.

Comparing the 2 frames geo wise (short sizes).
banshee 565mm TT spec 584mm
banshee 420 cs spec 419
banshee 69* HA spec 68*
banshee 1056 WB spec 1114
banshee 330 BB spec 311
banshee $1530 spec $1550

this sums up what?
the banshee is a tighter overall package. it will be a more agile bike but also more twitchy if things go wrong. i perfer steeper and shorter for anything that is jump related, others dont. the banshee with a higher bb and shorter wheel base will have more pop. the spec will be more stable. whats more important to you? pop or stability? decide on that factor then get the frame that that matches with.

other reasons why i perfer the banshee. VF4B (maestro dw) > FSR.
bushing pivots with grease ports = long life and easy to maintain. Regular headtube insted of a taper. 1 piece rear triangle = greater stiffness

OffCamber

Monkey
May 27, 2005
Loxahatchee, Fl
Got to ride my sx on some dirtjumps today without crippling hand pain.

Digging the geo, and the sturdiness. It's got a really linear or falling rate suspension though....as in, I never bottomed it but I used every bit of travel based on the shock ring thingy.....and I didn't hit anything very hard. I've got the shock so pressurized that the rebound damper is maxed out (220 psi). Seems like the frame is designed for pinning it on rough race courses. I don't know how the banshee rides, but that bit of info on the sx may help your decision depending on what you want to use it for. Seems like the sx would be good to use for the occasional trail ride. I'll never use it for that so I'm actually going to try to figure out a way to get it a little more progressive. I'm only interested in the dj side of things. Obviously that video that beast posted shows that banshee sure as hell won't hold you back in that regard. I wouldn't say this frame does either but the suspension characteristics surprised me a bit.

EDIT: oh yeah...I actually did weigh it yesterday. 34.7 lbs. It's no pixie.

And hopefully you've read demo9's posts in this thread and realize that his experience is that of someone who definitely isn't an original owner. Banshee makes good shlt these days, and they take care of their peeps.
I felt the same way about the shock. My 06 SX you could put 200-220psi and it would be like riding a hardtail. This SX definitly feels different. You don't even know you have went through the travel without the indicator and it's crazy how a 4" bike could feel bottomless.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I felt the same way about the shock. My 06 SX you could put 200-220psi and it would be like riding a hardtail. This SX definitly feels different. You don't even know you have went through the travel without the indicator and it's crazy how a 4" bike could feel bottomless.
Yeah I definitely agree. It doesn't feel like it's wallowing but it's not a stiff as hell setup that only moves when you hit something either.

I just threw some slick honey in the air chamber of my shock to try to get some more ramp. We'll see what happens.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

My frame showed up yesterday, but can't build it up till at least Sunday. I'm jealous you already got to ride yours. Then again, yours is also brand new, mine is used. But whatevs, I'm still stoked!

And guys, we all need to listen to demo 9. He goes through bikes faster than Lindsey Lohan goes through rehab. He is a fo sho expert when it comes to frames, he is definitely in the know! He is so hardcore he even clamped a saddle to the top tube of a dh frame to try and make it work!

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
And guys, we all need to listen to demo 9. He goes through bikes faster than Lindsey Lohan goes through rehab. He is a fo sho expert when it comes to frames, he is definitely in the know! He is so hardcore he even clamped a saddle to the top tube of a dh frame to try and make it work!
only when they are made by a ****ty company(or rather a company with ****ty CS), im still on a 2004 demo 9, and i have yet to have a problem with canfield or specialized(which has earned them 5 frame sales) I apologize for actually riding, should i just spend all day on ridemonkey trying to up my post count and green squares?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Just give it a rest man. You've shared your story. We can now make decisions on our own.

In other news, I put a bit of slick honey in my shock yesterday to take up some space and try to make the rp23 more progressive. Didn't do much. I just put a shlt ton more in and based on ye old round da block ride, I think that may have accomplished what I was after. Just to be sure though, I wouldn't have done this if I were looking for a fast race bike. I'm looking for a severely ramping suspension ankle saver here.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
only when they are made by a ****ty company(or rather a company with ****ty CS), im still on a 2004 demo 9, and i have yet to have a problem with canfield or specialized(which has earned them 5 frame sales) I apologize for actually riding, should i just spend all day on ridemonkey trying to up my post count and green squares?
awwww you're so cute when you're butt hurt and defensive.

and just in case you're curious, I spend a lot of time on RM because I work a day job and am in a cube at a computer upwards of ten hours a day. The kind of thing that responsible adults who have to support themselves do.

neg rep from demo 9 said:
u NEVER go full retard
like that time I tried using pipe clamps to attach a saddle to the top tube of a frame because I was too stubborn and delusional to just admit that the frame wasn't the right size for me? Oh wait...

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
So i should run a XS and have the headset in my balls right jonkranked? Rather than just run the seat down with perfect reach? Id say 6 feet on a medium is a pretty acceptable ball part figure? How tall are you on what size bike?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
So i should run a XS and have the headset in my balls right jonkranked? Rather than just run the seat down with perfect reach? Id say 6 feet on a medium is a pretty acceptable ball part figure? How tall are you on what size bike?
no, you just shouldn't expect people to not bag on you when you complain about having sizing issues on a legacy frame that hasn't been produced in what, 6 years? and then try some really questionable setup in an attempt to get around it.

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
ok, ok, its no longer time for dick measuring. can we just continue a normal discussion about the two frames? has the OP even responded to this thread after making it?