Quantcast

Bar and grip pressure

KFulch

Chimp
Jul 10, 2002
NC
What exactly needs to be changed if I am feeling alot of pressure in my hands from my bars. Is it stem length or angle. It feels like if you stood over your bike and put all your weight on your grips; the pressure is mainly in my palms. Thanks in advance:)

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
Originally posted by KFulch
What exactly needs to be changed if I am feeling alot of pressure in my hands from my bars. Is it stem length or angle. It feels like if you stood over your bike and put all your weight on your grips; the pressure is mainly in my palms. Thanks in advance:)
i think stem length has to do with riding style

DH=shorter
XC=longer

if it's mostly in your palms check your gloves.

that's all the mediocre help i can offer

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
maybe the brake lever angle...??? but that has mainly to do with wrist and forearm nuissance.... grips: smaller hands =smaller diameter grips and vice versa. Unless you're wearing your gardening leather gloves, riding gloves really becomes a personal preference.... if you put a cowbell on ytour handlebar, not only that it will warn hikers of your presence but also distract you from your hbar/grip dilemna..:devil:

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
Could be a little of both. What's on there now? If its a new bike your best bet could be to take it back to the shop and ask them to install a shorter, taller stem. But if you're new to this, you may just need to get used to it. Are your hands going numb?

KFulch

Chimp
Jul 10, 2002
NC
Originally posted by wooglin

Could be a little of both. What's on there now? If its a new bike your best bet could be to take it back to the shop and ask them to install a shorter, taller stem. But if you're new to this, you may just need to get used to it. Are your hands going numb?
Well; it feels like I am putting alot of continuous force on my palms while riding. I took my bike into the shop today to put a lower angled stem on, the stem I currently use is a little on the short side. Hopefully this will fix the problem. Thanks for the advice everyone.:D

Seat angle.......If your seat is nosed down too far, you will feel that constant pressure your hands. Your seat should be level.