Quantcast

Bar Extensions

Yeti

Monkey
May 17, 2005
yeti cave@the beach
i wouldn't risk it on carbon bars. the only solution i know to have wider bars, is puting inserts, which have a side with a smaller diameter and u push them in. aluminium has some degree of flexibility that allows u to do this, with carbon...i wouldn't risk it, might work though with the cnt technology, cause it s nanotubes u re talkin about and not pure fibers...but still dude, is carbon.

kieram

Chimp
Sep 13, 2006
i made some out of round alloy bar, machined them down 10mm on one end to fit inside the bar and then 25mm extension then just clamped my odi grips on them and they worked a treat, i wouldnt use them with anything apart from a lock on grip though

nugget

Monkey
Jul 4, 2006
somewhere near a town
Can you run the Lock-On with only one clamp, and leave it hanginn of the bars?

Would the grip come off the lock-on?

Has anyone tried it, it would sure be a cheap and easy way to extend the bars.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
i made some out of round alloy bar, machined them down 10mm on one end to fit inside the bar and then 25mm extension then just clamped my odi grips on them and they worked a treat, i wouldnt use them with anything apart from a lock on grip though
scary.

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
I know a guy that had some extensions made. I rode the bike and the bars felt weird because you have to rotate the bars farther back or else the sweep feels harsh on your wrists. I think if a company designed some 30 in bars it would feel good, but extension screw up how the bars are supposed to feel in my opinion.

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005

ive used them hanging off the bar and recorded where they were to see if there was any slippage and there was none, although when i crashed on some rocks the grip just shatterd.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia

well, it depends how much further out you run them. imo they are just no worth the risk... more like a cheap way to the hospital...:monkeydance:

lukebikes

Chimp
Dec 30, 2007
bay area
I've successfully made bar extensions for either aluminum or carbon bars. See photos.
I'll make them for anyone on request for a nominal fee. I've done 7-8 sets so far and have added up to 1.5" per side (3" total). I use lock on grips, but it will work with others too.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj162/coolantcatcher/P1010007.jpg
[IMG]http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj162/coolantcatcher/P1010008.jpg

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
I completely agree with Dhkid, its not worth the risk, there built to be that length... Adding extra length is just asking for more stress = Quicker to Snap or catastrophic break = hospital time...lol

Just buy new wider bars.. There massive now..lol

lukebikes

Chimp
Dec 30, 2007
bay area
it's a little tricky with the carbon bars as each extension has to be fit to the diameter / shape of each end. the extensions in the photos are in easton monkey lite CT2's.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I completely agree with Dhkid, its not worth the risk, there built to be that length... Adding extra length is just asking for more stress = Quicker to Snap or catastrophic break = hospital time...lol

Just buy new wider bars.. There massive now..lol

Yes!! Breaking bars is not an amusing prospect!

After recent 'discussions' I snagged a pair of FSA Grav Light bars at 31.5" (800mm) -- they are ~140g heavier than the 28" version mainly due to reinforcement to endure the added leverage (in addition to the material that extends them to 800mm)

I had Easton Havoc's on there at 28" and the width/difference is very significant. I can't wait to get them on some rugged trails!

I have heard hearsay about other wide bars and setups breaking - nothing really credible at this point, but a thought provoking rumour; so combined with the 2" 'premium' over the 2 alternate offerings I am currently aware of and CHA-CHING - rang em up.