Quantcast

Bar tape for grips

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Anybody try it?

It's cheap. It's light. It can be replaced quickly when you crash. You can build it up to whatever dia fits your fancy.
It comes in cool colors.
You could use a regular lock-on bar plug too.

armada

Monkey
Aug 27, 2010
its not realy sturdy, at least on my road bikes it newer was. i souldnt ever use it on a dh bike becose it comes undome way to easy
if you are sutch a weight wennie just go with the foam grips

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I used to. It works pretty well if you wrap it properly. I stopped because I decided I like a firmer rubber grip (ODI Rogue) better feel wise (FWIW I wear an XXL glove if I can find such things, XL otherwise), but as you've noted it's cheap and light and if you like the feel it's a good way to go. I'd recommend using some sort of end cap, otherwise you'll tear them up every time you lay the bike down, but if you get around that problem they hold up well in my experience.

padrik5

Monkey
Dec 23, 2004
Silverdale, Wa
Ive been using it for years on my ss.

it works great, doesn't unravel if you know how to wrap bars and feels super good.

wouldn't try it on my dh bike, I don't think it would give the grip to throw a 30lbs+ bike around.

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
i run it on my townie bike, mostly because when i went from drop bars to flat bars the leftover bar tape was the only thing i could come up with for grips at the moment and it just kinda stayed. its comfy, but doesnt have the same solid grippy feel of rubber. its borderline slippery. on the townie i could care less.

Kim Kruse

Chimp
Nov 21, 2009
Fredericia
i've used it... and i know of many others i denmark who still use it... we just peal the rubber of and old ODI style grip, and then tape it up with bartape... that way it stays in place, and the end cap/cookie cutter problem is solved :)

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
dont they get a bit slippery when wet or muddy?
Depends. If you use regular cork tape, then I find that to be rather slippery. I like Giro microtex black tape, which is pretty grippy.

In any case, grips are pretty cheap and can be pretty light. I thought about using tape for the ability to determine thickness, weight and all that. But I thought it would be a pain if it rips so I got ESI silicone grips and called it a day.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Could always test it on the trail bike and have some lock ons in the camelsack for backup. How about those renthal glue on Kevlar grips for weight savings/ durability? Definately no cool colors there unfortunately.

chufta

Chimp
Sep 6, 2007
Croatia - "here be dragons"
For some time, i used tape for tennis rackets on my downhill bars, because i have short fingers and needed something thin. gives great grip and feeling for terrain, but its really useful just for non rocky trails because the tape doesn't isolate vibrations from trail well. maybe for someone with bigger hands multiple layers would be good.
and, cool colors don't last long in mud:)

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
done it before on the trials bike,bar tape costs LOTS,I used hockey tape,cheaper and much better grip.

Just buy lock ons.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
done it before on the trials bike,bar tape costs LOTS,I used hockey tape,cheaper and much better grip.

Just buy lock ons.
Really? Even the really fancy stuff is $20/box retail. That should do about 6 grips worth. That's way cheaper than any lock-on.

Lot of hate in here. I'm gonna try it just to prove you wrong.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Really? Even the really fancy stuff is $20/box retail. That should do about 6 grips worth. That's way cheaper than any lock-on.

Lot of hate in here. I'm gonna try it just to prove you wrong.
Seriously. The basic stuff's like $10 for a couple rolls. Unless you're buying the Brooks leather stuff it's cheap.

And it does work fine. Dunno why everyone is hating so much.

armada

Monkey
Aug 27, 2010
i just dont see any good points apart from the weight saving of 5-10g? and i dont realy think, in the price of the bike, the price of the grips realy doesnt mater does it?