Quantcast

Barbed adapter for shift housing

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Looking to simplify replacing the internally routed shift housing on my bike.

Was thinking if I can find a barbed or screw in adapter, similar to the one below, I can just pull the new housing through while the old is removed.

Anyone know of a company that makes something? Or anyone have an extra that I can buy?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Just use a long cable, run it through the new housing then backwards through the old housing. Tug and yank until satisfied, more fun if you get a friend to help.

Then go back and install new housing.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
You mean run a new cable backwards through the old housing, then rip out the old and slide the new housing through?

My only issue is that I have the housing routing through a foam tube inside the frame - along beside the brake and seat post cabling, so it's a mess and pretty tight (good for no rattling...).

So I think my best option is to somehow attach the new and old housing together, so the new follows right behind the old stuff.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
You mean run a new cable backwards through the old housing, then rip out the old and slide the new housing through?

My only issue is that I have the housing routing through a foam tube inside the frame - along beside the brake and seat post cabling, so it's a mess and pretty tight (good for no rattling...).

So I think my best option is to somehow attach the new and old housing together, so the new follows right behind the old stuff.
Use the cable to simultaneously pull out old housing and pull in new housing. Everything will be in compression so no chance of a barbed fitting getting pulled out. Probably not that simple but the cable will keep the new one tracking the old one.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Use the cable to simultaneously pull out old housing and pull in new housing. Everything will be in compression so no chance of a barbed fitting getting pulled out. Probably not that simple but the cable will keep the new one tracking the old one.
Gotcha.

I guess I need to find a super long cable. The Shimano ones I have only need to be trimmed a few centimeters on this bike. But there must be long ones for tandems and other toshi contraptions, eh?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Gotcha.

I guess I need to find a super long cable. The Shimano ones I have only need to be trimmed a few centimeters on this bike. But there must be long ones for tandems and other toshi contraptions, eh?
I would think 3 meters would be good enough, you can always shorten the old housing after it exits the frame.