Quantcast

Barel's fliped link plates

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
biker3 said:
seriously, that BB has to be like 13" and I'd bet my life he didn't run those tires in his winning run.
i wouldn't be surprised if those are just other tires, maybe even customs, that are just badged as gazzis.

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
SuspectDevice said:
To lower the BB height, slacken the HA and work better with his 8.5x2.5 stroke shock.

Smart bugger

sure looks like a 3.0 stroke to me

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
yeah notice the odd shock mounting on the frame, in one of the older pics of his bike he had a hole drilled lower in the frame for the same purpose as the flipped links, i am guessing they took care of that by the new shock mount though

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
I s'pose this is the "proof" that alot of people are using when they say "Konas aren't just huck bikes, they won the worlds too!".
Yet again, all it shows is winning is about the rider and the setup, not the sticker on the downtube.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
they arn't the standard nokian gazzi. they are more round then the old ones. if you remember some other company bought the mtb division of nokian

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
wouldn't be surprised if those are just other tires, maybe even customs, that are just badged as gazzis.
hmmm... but what about this?

http://www.suomityres.fi/

...yeah I know, for his race setup, he could be using an N.O.S. set of Maxxis Wet Screams, or regular Intense Spikes... but I think he actually uses Gazzis for racing...:think:

...plus I know I've seen him on these in Dirt magazine:
http://www.suomityres.fi/bike/images/gazzaloddimud.jpg

Another pic of his rig at the finish line @ Livigno:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2005/aug05/mtbworlds05/?id=mtbworlds055/fabian_barel

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
caballero said:
there are flatpedals on the 1st pic...what the hell ?
Fabien rides flats occasionally, there is a pic of him in DIRT 53(I think) with the report from the worlds, and he is doing a practice run at the worlds riding flats with a pair of 661 hi-top flat shoes!

He just uses clips for racing because he knows they are faster!(OHHHHH that could derail any thread:rolleyes: ).

As for the tyre issue, look at any picture of Fabien's bike while riding or in the pits between runs and you will see a nice pair of 2.5 Highrollers! All markings scrubbed off of course!

greg447

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
new hampshire
I dont get why pros arent wearing shin protection anymore....this is like the 5th time today i have seen those 661 knee pads on donwhill/freeriders.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
SuspectDevice said:
To lower the BB height, slacken the HA and work better with his 8.5x2.5 stroke shock.

Smart bugger
Fabien's bike ran a 3 inch stroke shock on it. If you look closely, you will see that the frame has been modified at the lower shock mount to move the lower shock mounting location closer to the BB. His BB height was in the high 12s. He was literally pounding his chainguide into the ground on every hard corner.

Dave

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Rik said:
I s'pose this is the "proof" that alot of people are using when they say "Konas aren't just huck bikes, they won the worlds too!".
Yet again, all it shows is winning is about the rider and the setup, not the sticker on the downtube.
Dont forget strategy and course conditions. Fabien is a monster, such a fast guy. His strategy and knowledge of the weather in Livigno was brilliant at Worlds last year. That is why he deserved the win. He knew that in the afternoon the wind up top picks up, so he set his qualifying run so that he could run early. He ran early in almost no wind. By the time that Peat, Minaar, and Hill had to go, the headwind up top was ridiculous. Those guys had to spend a lot more energy up to to keep on Fabien's pace and in the end, none of them could overcome Fabien's already blistering time. It was a pretty brilliant tactical plan by Fabien, Kona LesGets, and the French federation.

Dave

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
dw said:
Dont forget strategy and course conditions. Fabien is a monster, such a fast guy. His strategy and knowledge of the weather in Livigno was brilliant at Worlds last year. That is why he deserved the win. He knew that in the afternoon the wind up top picks up, so he set his qualifying run so that he could run early. He ran early in almost no wind. By the time that Peat, Minaar, and Hill had to go, the headwind up top was ridiculous. Those guys had to spend a lot more energy up to to keep on Fabien's pace and in the end, none of them could overcome Fabien's already blistering time. It was a pretty brilliant tactical plan by Fabien, Kona LesGets, and the French federation.

Dave
That paragraph right there is a little insight into why the French continue to kick azz at Worlds, year after year with different riders to boot.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
skyst3alth said:
Also notice the lower crown is pushed up as far as it will go.

Very interesting setup he's got goin.

-Adam
Well, back when he rode for Sunn all of those guys ran 170mm of travel front and back. So I guess that he is comfortable with that but still wants the bike to be really slack. I think that explains his set up for the most part.

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
A big thanks to DW for clearing things up and giving further insight to cool little facts i would have never know about Fabien and the WC

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
SuspectDevice said:
DW, I KNOW you have ALL the specs from Fabiens bike sitting around somewhere, How long is his wheelbase exactly?

You know what, of all the specs I have in my head, thats one I don't know. I think thats one number that changes a lot for him. Fabien is the ultimate tinkerer. He's a mechanical engineer by schooling, and his mechanic is one of the best. They change stuff around like its going out of style! :)

Dave

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Jeremy R said:
That paragraph right there is a little insight into why the French continue to kick azz at Worlds, year after year with different riders to boot.
No doubt Jeremy. The french federation is over the top. They have about 50 people on course (no exaggeration) givng hand signs and radioing split times the entire way down for every practice and race run. They communicate with the riders all the way down telling them where they can back off and where they have to pin it based on where they are time-wise in relation to the competition. They show up 2 weeks early and map the course, weather, everything. They take it seriously and the results show. Total pro.

Dave

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
dw:
No doubt Jeremy. The french federation is over the top. They have about 50 people on course (no exaggeration) givng hand signs and radioing split times the entire way down for every practice and race run. They communicate with the riders all the way down telling them where they can back off and where they have to pin it based on where they are time-wise in relation to the competition. They show up 2 weeks early and map the course, weather, everything. They take it seriously and the results show. Total pro.

Dave
... strategy and preparedness just like in Formula 1.

This is probably the most thorough example of race prep I've ever heard of... and to think, some of my friends thought I was nuts for taking a pad and pencil w/ me while I walked the U.S. Open course to make my riding notes... :)

Very smart move on Barel's part to be aware of the wind conditions. Very smart - and yet subtle.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
dw said:

Dave
All the locals here in Spain have said the same thing, that the French always win because they take things waaaay more seriously. Kind of a buz kill if that's not your bag. I say relax, it's just mountain biking, but there are always people who take things seriously. One concept no one here understands is that with all that "preparation", one could very easily feel waaaay too pressured, and could choke far more easily. Then again, for a guy who needs that much pre-game prep, a race without such hassles would be much more stressfull. Different riders use different techniques.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
bikenweed said:
All the locals here in Spain have said the same thing, that the French always win because they take things waaaay more seriously. Kind of a buz kill if that's not your bag. I say relax, it's just mountain biking, but there are always people who take things seriously. One concept no one here understands is that with all that "preparation", one could very easily feel waaaay too pressured, and could choke far more easily. Then again, for a guy who needs that much pre-game prep, a race without such hassles would be much more stressfull. Different riders use different techniques.

It may be a "buz kill", but it's what you have to do if you want to win.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
bikenweed said:
Kind of a buz kill if that's not your bag. I say relax, it's just mountain biking, but there are always people who take things seriously.
If you don't take it seriously, you don't win.

"Relax, man, it's just mountain biking" isn't an attitude that will get you on the top of the podium. That's awesome if all you want to do is relax and enjoy it, but you don't beat the world's best racers by not taking it seriously.

One concept no one here understands is that with all that "preparation", one could very easily feel waaaay too pressured, and could choke far more easily.
Eh? Are you serious? Better tell every top athelete in the world your secrets, because they've all been winning through hour after grueling hour of preperation, refinement, and correction.

Different riders use different techniques.
True. But do not doubt that every great athelete in the world puts a thousand hours of preparation into their events and takes their sport very, very seriously.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
edit: please don't assume I am saying just go to the race, barely practice, and do your run. That never works, especially at a world cup.

Zutroy said:
It may be a "buz kill", but it's what you have to do if you want to win.
Nope, only if it's your style, which it definitely is for Fabien and Nico Vouilloz. The most important factor of a rider is his mental state. If a rider needs to prepare in such a way to be confident enough to win, then that's what you need to do.

Look at Sam Hill at the Austria race last summer. He won by 8 seconds. He didn't even have his mud tires on, as it started to rain only in the last few minutes of the race. I don't know how he prepared, but any French-like preparation would pretty much not correlate to his Minion-equiped bike in the mud. Lines change when it rains. The overall confidence and calmness of the rider matters far more than any kind of pre-race prep.

Of course, that machine-like preparation will also intimidate the other riders, making them question their own methods. This preparation will also assure the French riders that they are ready. As long as a rider has trained at the same level during the off season and when at home, there are differing techniques of racing in the world. It all just comes down to what makes you confident.

edit: this means no dis-respect to the teams who practice in such a way. I do not believe every rider needs a 50 person team in order to win a race. Timing individual sections can be quite important, but such a huge team can have a negative affect.