Quantcast

Bars

whynot?

Chimp
Jun 23, 2004
Hey!
Just last summer I bought a Giant Iguana that, although I’ve had some ok bikes in the past, is really my first real mountain bike that I’m serious about riding.

I bike is absolutely stock but I’m not real happy with the handlebars. I am a kind of short seventeen years old and I feel the bars are too wide for me, and I’ve been thinking of getting new bars and maybe a new stem. So I guess what I’m asking is if someone could give me some info on the pros and cons of different stem and bar widths, lengths, and angles, or maybe even suggest some specific product I should check out. I’ve just been riding simple trails in the area but come spring I would like to scope out some of the rockier and more rooted technical trails hear in Wisconsin.

Any help you could give this noob would be great!
Thanks,
TOM

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
whynot? said:
Good call jeff! I might just do that, but how would one find the proper width?

TOM
You want your arms to be forward so it's comfortable and your control will be better. So the wider the shoulders the wider the bars......
also taking a file to the cut bars is a good idea. :)

mtnbikeair

Chimp
Jan 19, 2005
Greensboro NC
Why dont the bars feel comfortable? Is it just because you aren't used to them, or do they actually physically hurt you? I would give it some time before you go chopping on your handlebars. The problem your going to run into is if you cut your bars too short your steering will get very twitchy.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
My old Homegrown HT had REALLY narrow flat handlebars, you'd barely touch it and you would fly off the trail. Usually when you're fairly new to riding you might want to stick with wider bars (Unless they physically HURT when you ride), cutting them down might be like sticking a new pilot into a Sopwith Camel.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
VA2SLOride said:
Interesting WWI aero-plane reference....random but cool nonetheless....

Yeah, the rotary engine in my Turner makes it a handful, too...

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
xbluethunderx said:
My old Homegrown HT had REALLY narrow flat handlebars, you'd barely touch it and you would fly off the trail. Usually when you're fairly new to riding you might want to stick with wider bars (Unless they physically HURT when you ride), cutting them down might be like sticking a new pilot into a Sopwith Camel.
Wouldn't a Sopwith Camel be more foregiving than say, an F-14 Tomcat?

whynot?

Chimp
Jun 23, 2004
Yep, looks like I'll just let it be for now. Thanks for looking out for me!

Now, can anyone tell me anything about stem lengths and angles and their effect on handeling? I assume most of it is just comfort and position on the bike.

Keep it surreal,
TOM