Quantcast

bash guards (metal or plastic)

dirtydirtysouf

Deletated
May 23, 2006
the ghetto of winston-salem, nc
looking for a bashguard to put on my steelhead and im wanting to know which is better at taking a beating. im not to worried about weight so lets not fight over 1 oz. of weight:twitch: .....the ones ive looked at are the e-13, raceface, slasa and goldtooth ones......which is the better out of these?

G-spot

Monkey
May 3, 2004
Chester,Va.
I don't know about the e-13,salsa, goldtooth,but the race face I've had for 5 years and it has taken a beatin and still going strong for me.

Feb 23, 2005
Spokanada
had both e13 and gamut in plastic. Bashed the hell out of them and they are still going strong. Only ever seen one break...and it deserved to break.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
E.13 is about as strong as it gets, if you're not a complete gorilla with the hex wrench when you install them.

If you don't understand how to carefully tighten four or five chainring bolts, then you need to buy a metal bashguard. If you can resist torquing down your chainring bolts to 6,483 inch-pounds, though, the polycarbonate bashguards will be your best friends.

Pebble

Monkey
Dec 6, 2006
Nannup
I've got a E13 on the Trance, it's taken one big sort of hit and has a bit of a scratch at that spot. I reckon the race face metal ones look better (aesthetically), and they are thick if you have seen them from an angle. To me the weight difference is pretty negligible really.

E.Thirteen has a known reputation for being bullet proof, it's also a bit quieter with regards to chain slapping against it in comparison to a metal guard.

The ethirteen is a lot less likely to bend on a big impact than a metal plate would. Well that's what I've heard anyway and one of the reasons I chose the ethirteen over the race face.

Only thing to consider is the type of lube you use - apparently lubes that are petroleum based (rock n roll, prolink etc) are known to be detrimental towards the material (lexan) that the ethirteen is made of - and although this fact is not really advertised it is becoming more widely known. It's mostly known to dry out the lexan, making it more brittle and prone to cracking more easily.

I was using prolink, now I'm using rock n roll - only found out the above info after buying a big bottle of the stuff. So far I haven't seen any visible signs that there is any problem.

I reckon it's 50/50 though, if I had to choose again I'd probably choose race face because I've had an ethirteen so would be good to see the other type. I don't think you can go too wrong with either, comes down to personal taste really.

Oct 24, 2006
I think that the E13's are good... Blackspires and other metal bash's look cool... but they wear and look crappy after a while, while e13s you cant really tell. I think they both work just as good... I haven't ridden a metal bash but I would assume a hard impact on a rock would hurt?

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
E13's plastic bashring is the way to go. It won't bend if you smash it, it's quiet, it looks good, it's not too heavy, and most importantly:

When you actually need it (ex. when your chainring would otherwise come to a grinding halt against a log or rock) the Lexan bashring slides against the offending obstacle with little resistance. This makes it way easier to ride out of otherwise situations that might otherwise have lead to OTB crashes.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
the colored e13 is better than clear, clear looks dirty fast cause the dirt on the back side. the plastic ones will absorb(slightly lessen) the impact where the aluminum ones transfer it, possibly harder on the BB bearings overtime. i have had both, both work fine, plastic ones are thicker and won't dig in as much on softer stuff like wood. metal ones are louder when you hit rocks and stuff.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
all i got to say it that ALL trials riders run alloy ones. they last longer and are able to take larger impacts. just go watch some trials videos and you will see how strong an alloy bashring can be

nmn25

Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
portland or co springs
I used to have e thirteens on both my bikes. I just replaced both with gold tooths. I couldn't be happier. They look a lot better, provide more clearance, not many people have them and come with so many options. I broke one of my e thirteens wger it mounts to my cranks. I haven't hurt the goldtooths yet, and I talked to the owners, and their pretty much gaurentee their products no mater what.

Go goldtooth!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
all i got to say it that ALL trials riders run alloy ones. they last longer and are able to take larger impacts. just go watch some trials videos and you will see how strong an alloy bashring can be
All I got to say is that I haven't seen too many (if any) of those tiny little trials bashies that are made out of anything other than aluminum.

I've run e13 and dangerboy aluminum, they both do the trick and are not so pricey that I'd sweat the decision. It's true, however, that the e13's slide over stuff a bit easier.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
they all work, but the e.13 ones make the most sense...they are smoother over object, dont dent or bend, and dont make as much sound when you hit something...

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210

it certainly couldn't be because the metal ones have more grip when the trials riders bash-stall on objects. :lighten:

Pebble

Monkey
Dec 6, 2006
Nannup
Best of both worlds, Ethirteen bash & Envy Ring thing inner plate. Only hear the ching ching of the inner on the downs - check out Straitline Components for quieter inner rings but twice the price of the Envy one.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
to mandown it wouldn't because the current rules do not allow you to use your bashring to help you get up and over things. some riders these days only have them on their bikes to protect their chains and cogs. also most of the current bike with 30+mm rise on the bb's its actually hard to land onto the bashring in a useful way to help you get over and object