Quantcast

bashguard

G

Gutty

Get a HBR log buster. See below(i make my own for around $20AUS). Seriously though most bashguards are fine. The blackspire and DMR are my favourites. Exept my custom HBR guards of course. Excuse the bodgie pic,lack of time.

Attachments

G

Gutty

Originally posted by =[Stinky]=
Sorry Dog Welder, I spoke to soon.
DAMN those gravity checks are damn cool, BUT blackspire has been proven!
They do look sick. Might have to do something like that on my next one.

G

gravity

yep blackspire are great, I think MRP are pretty good as well.

WebCyclery

Chimp
Jul 2, 2001
Beautiful Bend, OR
I agree with the majority. The Blackspire is my favorite smooth bashring. I like it a lot more than the Race Face, TruVativ, and Kooka (although I think all three of those are lighter). If you want something with teeth, the Gravity Check is my favorite, and the Threshold is a distant second. I just wish it was easier for us to get the Gravity Checks. They are a small company and don't produce very many.

O Face

Chimp
Oct 9, 2001
Hey guys,
Long Time Reader, First Time Posting

I saw the Evil guys at Interbike pounding on thier bashguard with a hammer and it held up. An aluminum one would have definately busted. Plus it felt a lot lighter than the aluminum one. I would definately consider it.

o face

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
I bought one Gravity check from Kevin. Trust me those things are MORE burly once you get it. The pictures don't do this thing justice. its 3/8th inc wide. and when folks see it...THEY WANT ONE!
This thing rocks...thanks Kevin.

Spike

Chimp
Sep 12, 2001
I know the one you want. It 's from www.dhrings.com Its a 1/2" plate. Can get it in polished or anodozed black. 4 or 5 bolt pattern. 94 or 110 spacing. Can even get etched plates with most anything want etched in there. And they are only ~$45us! I have included a pic of the chainguide they made for me! Have cased a concrete landing twice and NO PROBLEMS!!
~Spike

Attachments

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Im assuming its 6061 at least? I have to ask you man, why?? I mean, the thing has to be a brick. Ive cased enough concrete landings [hundreds] (on purpose of course) :) to crack my downtube in half, and the guard i'm running is pretty light (240 g) . Whats that one weigh? Im guessing near 1.2-1.3 lbs (550g) for the bashguard guard alone?

dw

Spike

Chimp
Sep 12, 2001
I am not sure what it made out of or how much it weighs. All I know is that it is THE BEST chaingude out there. You estimations are probably about right. If you want me to make sure I can. Lemme know,
~Spike

A

a13x

i like my Evil guard. Smash boom pow.

metal bash things suck **** IMO

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Originally posted by Random
What is the advantage of the toothed guard? Is it really helpful?
Curious to see that answer......... Wouldn't the teeth catch in a log? I guess maybe not more then my chainring though.........

trialsmasta

Monkey
Oct 19, 2001
Austin TX
Originally posted by sirknight6

Curious to see that answer......... Wouldn't the teeth catch in a log? I guess maybe not more then my chainring though.........
Looks like your looking for somthing a little less trials specific. If your a cheap skate like me you can pick up a freestyle grind disk and fit one on your bike, depending on your chain guide it might work. They usually cover about a 45 tooth. or just get 2 or 3 larger chain rings and bolt them together and put them on the outside spider, presto. You might want to bust the teeth off with a pair of pliers then belt sand them to smooth it off.

take a look

M

M.W.

I'm pretty happy with my blackspires so far. Running a double bashguard setup instead of a chainguide on my DH bike (Not enough $$ for a guide) and it works sweet, and has been rammed into all sorts of stuff.

Running another Blackspire on my hardtail, and I've been learning disasters and sprocket grinds on it, and it's all good (bent my crank though). .

Squasher

Monkey
Aug 20, 2001
K-Ville
The evilsecurity guide is a great guide as well as bashguard. I cased a wall the other day doing a bunny hop, the damn bullet proof glass just slid on the wall till my back tire hit it then bounced over. Normally, my old MRP would have ground into the pavement, makin me come to a nasty stop and probably would have been bent pretty good.:D Looks good too.

Attachments

Shibby

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
cambridge, ma
if you're "nice" to bashguards (is there such a thing?), and slightly concerned about weight, or just don't want a big thick thing hangin out there (not usually a concern, but hey, it happens), have a look at QBP's Engagement Ring Tooth Fairy. Pretty thin Alu, but it does have some teeth, and it does hold up

good for the kind of riding where you occasionally come across an obstacle, and you don't want your chainring to eat it. not good for bunnyhopping 3 foot ledges at 25mph.

basically:
-looks good
-not too heavy
-has teeth
-serves its purpose
-is thin, flexy, bendable (but on the other hand, you can bend it back)
-cheap

shibby

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Originally posted by Shibby
if you're "nice" to bashguards (is there such a thing?), and slightly concerned about weight, or just don't want a big thick thing hangin out there (not usually a concern, but hey, it happens), have a look at QBP's Engagement Ring Tooth Fairy. Pretty thin Alu, but it does have some teeth, and it does hold up

good for the kind of riding where you occasionally come across an obstacle, and you don't want your chainring to eat it. not good for bunnyhopping 3 foot ledges at 25mph.

basically:
-looks good
-not too heavy
-has teeth
-serves its purpose
-is thin, flexy, bendable (but on the other hand, you can bend it back)
-cheap

shibby
...AND allows you to run all 3 rings plus the bashguard...I used one for awhile and it held up well. Toshi from this board is using it now.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by Bulldog

...AND allows you to run all 3 rings plus the bashguard...I used one for awhile and it held up well. Toshi from this board is using it now.
So I am. :D I haven't mounted up the cranks on a frame yet, but they, and the bashring, look great sitting in my dorm room. Other guards I have used in the past: Kooka (didn't have any problems with it, heavy) and a trials-specific job made by Robin Coope. http://www.physics.ubc.ca/~rcoope/

G

Gutty

Originally posted by nightgaunt
Hey guys,

Does anyone make a bashguard for a 4-arm LX crank? Or is it even worth it!?!?!
THANKS!
Yep, DMR,Blackspire,Truvativ.....i think most companyies will make 4 arm bashguards.

Attachments