Quantcast

Bassists out there? Fender P-bass vs. J-bass

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
Any bassists out there who have Fender basses who want to contribute why they bought a Precision bass over a Jazz bass and vice-versa? I'm a P-bass girl, myself... and couldn't dare touch another brand other than Fender besides Danelectro or B.C. Rich (when I wanna look like Nikki Sixx).

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
while not a bassist per se... i've always dug the extra grittyness of a fender jazz bass pushed through a few 4x10 enclosures... preferably with a hartke head. (a la kim colletta/jawbox)

a close second is the glassyness of an ernie ball... (think joe lally/fugazi)

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
corey_dcstreet said:
while not a bassist per se... i've always dug the extra grittyness of a fender jazz bass pushed through a few 4x10 enclosures... preferably with a hartke head. (a la kim colletta/jawbox)

a close second is the glassyness of an ernie ball... (think joe lally/fugazi)
Glassyness... good term! I'm not a fan of the glassyness at all. I did used to play through one of Joe's old speakers and liked the sound of that. Can't remember what brand it was now.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Ciaran said:
You want a Rickenbacker. :drool:

Those are a touch glassy and trebly too.

Although "glassy" also has alot to do w/ amp, cab, string choice, tone, etc.

P-basses are warm and sturdy, like a good woman.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
P-bass
SVT Classic
Ampeg 4X10 cab

And a kidney belt.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
H8R said:
Those are a touch glassy and trebly too.

Although "glassy" also has alot to do w/ amp, cab, string choice, tone, etc.

P-basses are warm and sturdy, like a good woman.
I have always liked the brightness of the Rick sound. I don't have as much experience with their basses as I do with their guitars, though. A nice old Rick through an old Vox amp is nice. Throw a little fuzz on there with a little distortion and you get a nice sound. Kinda Sonic Youthy.

Yeah, amp, cab, and string choice will have a huge effect on the sound. The pick-ups, too. But then I was always more of a keytar and mandolin player. ;)

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
As a bass player, and an owner of a J-Bass..I would have to vote for that. '62 re-issue Fender Jazz that I hopped up with a Leo Quann BadAss bridge and some really hot EMG pickups and vintage tuners. Now, this is ENTIRELY dependent upon YOUR style of play. If you like a classic soul, James Jamerson type of sound that's really warm with a heavy bottom to it, then the P-Bass is your weapon of choice. If your style is more suited to some thumb-poppin', or you play a lot of chords, or you want a sound with some real stage presence, then the punchy, mid-range feel of a Jazz bass is your ticket. Of course, the kind of pickups you use will greatly alter the character of any given bass---P-Bass or J-Bass, doesn't matter. It all about personal preference. In my case, I like the placement of the J-Bass over the P.....I can play over the bridge for a clear, ringing tone that works well with chord patterns, or I can play closer to the neck for a warm, John Paul Jones sound that really cuts through with its midtones.

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
Greyhound said:
...If your style is more suited to some thumb-poppin', or you play a lot of chords, or you want a sound with some real stage presence, then the punchy, mid-range feel of a Jazz bass is your ticket. Of course, the kind of pickups you use will greatly alter the character of any given bass---P-Bass or J-Bass, doesn't matter. It all about personal preference. In my case, I like the placement of the J-Bass over the P.....I can play over the bridge for a clear, ringing tone that works well with chord patterns, or I can play closer to the neck for a warm, John Paul Jones sound that really cuts through with its midtones.
True, I play a lot of chords. I've always been partial to P-basses, but now I'm trying to figure out why I don't even pick up J-basses. It's like they don't exist when I see them in the stores.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
mark davies (from Thinking Fellers Union Local 282) sometimes played a black version of this momma:

it was awesome in its ugliness.

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
True, I play a lot of chords. I've always been partial to P-basses, but now I'm trying to figure out why I don't even pick up J-basses. It's like they don't exist when I see them in the stores.
i figured i'd find a subconcious reason... but it looks like neither jennifer finch nor gail greenwood played a p-bass :p

FreshPants

Chimp
Mar 6, 2005
Denver, CO
I myself have a mostly unmodified '72 J Bass w/Sadowsky pickups. P-Basses seem to have a fatter rounder tone vs. the J Bass' more growly-punchy tone. I like the way the J Bass can cut through, again it's more closely related to pickup placement. But I like the flat tapered/thinner neck of my J Bass. I think P Basses usually had thicker rounder necks (hmm..., like the tone...). Maybe I like the tonal versatility of the J Bass? I prefer the offset body too.

That said, I've always wanted a P Bass to mess around with.

FP

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Capt. Jack Sparrow said:
Any bassists out there who have Fender basses who want to contribute why they bought a Precision bass over a Jazz bass and vice-versa? I'm a P-bass girl, myself... and couldn't dare touch another brand other than Fender besides Danelectro or B.C. Rich (when I wanna look like Nikki Sixx).

I like the grittiness the 'P' has over the Jazz. The Jazz has a warmer tone whereas the 'P' tends to grunt if attacked aggressively.

The amount of the “grunt” of the P is direct relation to the rig you run it through. Our bass player plays a Ric and it has a warm tone to it running thru an ampeg head and a Kustom cab.

I like the "P", myself.

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
I'm partial towards the Jazz, but I'm not a good enough bass player to tell much more than an obvious difference between the two. Get Drunk After Easter, right?