Quantcast

battle at the bear DX

fireman

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Boulder, CO
I'm looking for a discription of the DX at battle at the bear, Handlebarandgrill.com didn't have a very good one. I've heard that the course is rough and that most people raced it on DH bikes. I'd love to hear some opinions on the course. How long is the course? Some pics would be sweet.

fireman

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Boulder, CO
there was no infomation actually posted there excet for kdog-rider saying that he heard the course was rough. no one recomended FS vs. HT. I would love an actual discription if anyone has raced it before. especially the length of the course.
thanks

jhusktrials

Monkey
Dec 29, 2001
Denver
It is an old mining road so it is fairly rough. Although I heard that it should be alot smoother this year. I heard that a HT would not be a terrible idea. I would still reccomend full suspension unless you are good on a hardtail.

I was suppose to go up there yesterday but I only made it to I-70 and youngfield when the tread on my front passenger tire tore off and ended my voyage:(. I was going about 90mph too it was scary when it first happened.

JHusk

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Originally posted by fireman
there was no infomation actually posted there excet for kdog-rider saying that he heard the course was rough. no one recomended FS vs. HT. I would love an actual discription if anyone has raced it before. especially the length of the course.
thanks
I'm taking boffa my hardtail and my big bike, timing it, and racing whichever is faster.

FunkMaster

Chimp
Jun 1, 2003
Golden, CO
I have not raced the course, and I don't do MTX.

I helped dig yesterday and it sounds like the course is wider than last year.

It is a burly course for sure. Spots are steeper than anything you would ever see at a resort. Things looked pretty groomed when I left, but a couple of runs could kick rocks loose for sure.

I would want good breaks, tires, and protection. The course did look smooth and flowy, figure if you're smooth a HT would be faster. But if you case jumps like me I'd take the big bike for the oops factor. Jumping is my weakness, so what do I know?

You will see everything from HT to 10 inch travel bikes for sure.

MTBkid

Chimp
Mar 2, 2004
Colorado Springs
I raced it last year and it was pretty rough but last year it snowed about four inches the night before so it was slick and muddy.
On the course there is a rock garden(can be jumped), A drop, A pretty big hip, some doubles at the bottom and A few steep corners.

snipesrider

Chimp
Mar 26, 2004
helped dig it last weekend, it is part downhill, part world cup dx. the top starts out with a gate straight down in to a turn, pretty rough, then a long road with a small 8-10ft double/table. then a long steep and kinda rough 180 degree turn. this turn is loose and steep. then a long road some small rocks and stuff, would be rough on a hardtail. then a sharp turn down, small step down, option for either a triple or berm double into a steep loose roll in to a small double then a big, maby 25 ft doble on the biggest side, into a berm then a small double for the finish. i'd say short travel fs bikes would be good. a hardtail for sure at the bottom.
it is groomed and raked okay but just the kinda of terrain it is built on makes it rough.