Quantcast

Bay Area shops

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Got a friend coming to SF from New Zealand; might do some riding in the area (although he's actually on his way to Whistler, and must spend time with the wife while he's here to earn a week or so of DH...).

But he is interested in sampling American consumer culture and is looking to buy some bike stuff cheap while he's here...is there a good DH/high end type shop he should check out, just for the experience? He's mostly looking to buy a Troy Lee fullface.

I only knew of Vision, but they're long-gone...who has taken up the torch?

-Mike

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Pretty tough to find much high-end DH in SF, there just isn't a huge demand because there isn't much local DH, and the people who want the good stuff always want a hookup or they get it online (all of which partly explain why Vision is long-gone). American Cyclery is starting to get more into it and they are good peeps who will order whatever you need. Avenue Cyclery has some stuff too, but as far as I know there is no shop dedicated to stocking lots of high-end DH stuff.

But you can go to Bike Nut if you want to see ridiculously high end road stuff.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Hm, nothing in the greater Bay Area, either?

Thanks,

MD

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I think the best shop closest to San Francisco is Passion Trail Bikes. Great staff, excellent product, and beer on the premises.

Jono

Chimp
Apr 1, 2002
Welly, Nooziland
Thanks for the suggestions - as MikeD suggested I'll be passing through SF on the way to Canadia for a couple of weeks riding. And since I've been thinking about getting a Troy Lee helmet for a wee while, I thought that I could save on carry-on luggage and get one in the states (where it would presumably be cheaper too)...

...I must say, I'm getting rather excited about the idea of riding on the other side of the world...