Quantcast

BB 6/30 Race

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
The forecast for the day was 92 degrees. Expert women were to race 3 laps of the 10+ mile course, for once they were letting us race more than the sport women!!!!!! I started fast and immediately was second in my class. Within 1/4 mile I passed the other girl in my class and was in the lead. The course is a pretty technical one. We climbed for about the first 4 miles - some dusty washed ut switchbacks that everyone had to walk, and then a long fireroad grind. The course then flattened out as we crossed the middle of the mountain. We hiked up three extremelly steep sections that were singletrack dusty and rocky - a huge hike. After that we were bike on the bike down a really cool section of dowhnill break bumped, switchbacks with again.....sand. THe course spit us back out onto a climb - barely able to catch your breath here - then you are thrust into a short flat section followed by another friggin climb. This climb made you start doubting your legs. But never fear, after it is the bestest singletrack and then sketchy downhill mess you've seen. One more steep reckless downhill section and you're free.

OK, so for 3 laps - roughly 25 miles I am in the lead, grinding up everything, suffering 3 laps of this course...and then I get a flat. I have NEVER gotten a flat in competition and my first instinct is PANIC! I pulled over, fished out my spare and my pump (I forgot to pack my quick air) and went to work. After some difficulties with the pump I get the operation underway. I try to remain calm and I fumble through the work. I'm only about 2 miles from the finish line and I start getting pissed. I shove the tire on the rim, pump as fast as my little arms will go (about 80 pumps), look up, and there goes some lady in my class. NOOOOOOOOOOO I yell - followed by obscenities. So I throw the tire on my bike, shove all my stuff back in my camelback, put my gloves and glasses back on, and hop on my bike. I only have about 30 lbs of pressure in the front tire but I chase like hell. How could this be happening to me? I'd built up a 5-7 minute lead over a 30 mile race in friggin ungodly race temperatures only to get a flat before the finish and have someone pass me. I raced like hell to catch back up but as I rounded the corner for the last steep climb to the finish line I saw her crossing the line.

Just my luck. I'm still pissed - 3:18 minutes of racing only to lose my 1st place spot in the last 2 miles.:( :(

That's racing for you. On a worse note, they ended up pulling have my class after the 2nd lap because they were too slow. That means they will probably never let us do 3 laps again.:(

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Dang, Heidi. Talk about a bad break. You're right....that's part of racing, I guess.

Congratulations on kicking ass though. You might not have won, but both you and the winner know you were the better rider.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by I Are Baboon
Dang, Heidi. Talk about a bad break. You're right....that's part of racing, I guess.

Congratulations on kicking ass though. You might not have won, but both you and the winner know you were the better rider.
Thanks. Derek pointed out a good thing too. If I hadn't been leading by that big a margin I probably wouldn't have been ablt to finish 2nd with the flat - probably more like 4 or 5.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by I Are Baboon
Well next time you'll know to build up an 8 or 9 minute lead so you'll have time to fix a flat if need be. :D
THERE WON'T BE A NEXT TIME!

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
Sorry to hear about your misfortune...that sucks and I can only imagine how frustrating how that must've been. But like IAB mentioned, the winner knew who the strong rider really was. That just sucks that it happened so close to the end of the race.

maybe time for Tubeless tires?

Anyway, sorry about getting a flat but still, congratulations on second.

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
Originally posted by Heidi

THERE WON'T BE A NEXT TIME!
Time for Stan's Tubeless. :thumb:

I heard the Captain didn't fare as well. Did you hear me cheering for you at the start from the ski lift? Anyway, congrats on kicking the crap out of the field.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Tubeless shmubeless. The guy next to us in the parking lot got a flat with Stan's Tubeless - brand new.

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
that sucks...I can imagine how it feels like seeing your competition just crossing the line... all the obscenities!

on a happier note; I passed an XC guy on my DH bike while I was sneaking into a pirate trail trailhead...he must be recovering but must have been smiling as well as he sees a guy on a full on DH bike and gear pedalling real fast passing him on an XC race course.:D

OCDH

Chimp
Feb 5, 2002
Orange County, CA
Congrats Heidi! Even if you didn't get the first place that you so rightly deserved, you still did a huge accomplishment by finishing the 3 laps when a lot of the women couldn't!! Plus, I saw part of your course - are you sure that there was ANY downhill sections??? From my viewpoint, it looked like the whole thing was a climb!!! Anyway, don't let the flat get you down - it's all part of racing, and you will come back to beat that girl next time (and next time, and next time...):)

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by OCDH
Congrats Heidi! Even if you didn't get the first place that you so rightly deserved, you still did a huge accomplishment by finishing the 3 laps when a lot of the women couldn't!! Plus, I saw part of your course - are you sure that there was ANY downhill sections??? From my viewpoint, it looked like the whole thing was a climb!!! Anyway, don't let the flat get you down - it's all part of racing, and you will come back to beat that girl next time (and next time, and next time...):)
Well, the first part was all climbing, then the last part was "DH" Thanks for the vote of confidence. I know, no biggie, it happens to everyone. Did you race Sat?

OCDH

Chimp
Feb 5, 2002
Orange County, CA

Well, the first part was all climbing, then the last part was "DH" Thanks for the vote of confidence. I know, no biggie, it happens to everyone. Did you race Sat?
Yep. Had 2 crappy runs. Crashed on the first one. Dropped my chain right on the big rock at the top on my second run. Had to coast all the way down. Unfortunately, there were 2 big pedalling sections on the DH couse that I had to Fred Flintstone across. I must have looked ridiculous :( Oh well, I still got second. I guess (stupid) mechanical happen in all facets of biking....

Lucee

govenor
Jan 16, 2002
nor cal
Kudos to Heidi, this little mechanical will only make you thirst for first for your next race.

OCDH, sorry about the mechanicals as well! I'm glad you still came in second. When are you joining our ranks???

Either of you going to Co., or Mt. Snow?

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.

Yep. Had 2 crappy runs. Crashed on the first one. Dropped my chain right on the big rock at the top on my second run. Had to coast all the way down. Unfortunately, there were 2 big pedalling sections on the DH couse that I had to Fred Flintstone across. I must have looked ridiculous :( Oh well, I still got second. I guess (stupid) mechanical happen in all facets of biking....
oh and you cleared that 'lil' double too on Sunday....for fun! While I on the other hand, pussed out on that....

monkeywrench

Chimp
Apr 25, 2002
San Diego
Rim Nordic #1, Singlespeed class, XC racing at it's finest. I flatted right at the finish line on the first lap, sucks, but oh well. I put my spare in, get the tension right on my chain again and hit the quik fill. Get this, the spare starts leaking worse than the original flat. Just then I start to remember that this spare is an old pinch flat from six months ago that I forgot to take out of my camelback. Even better is that a whole group of kids are gathered around me getting a class on changing a flat, so I'm trying to keep my language below a sixth grade level. SUCKS!!!!, but what are you gonna do. :angry: :( :D :thumb:

tammy

spyderzmom
Oct 10, 2001
lost
Jeeez Heidi - you're still my XC heroine!!!

Also, OCDH, what class do you race? I'm assuming you're one of the young experts?

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by monkeywrench
Rim Nordic #1, Singlespeed class, XC racing at it's finest. I flatted right at the finish line on the first lap, sucks, but oh well. I put my spare in, get the tension right on my chain again and hit the quik fill. Get this, the spare starts leaking worse than the original flat. Just then I start to remember that this spare is an old pinch flat from six months ago that I forgot to take out of my camelback. Even better is that a whole group of kids are gathered around me getting a class on changing a flat, so I'm trying to keep my language below a sixth grade level. SUCKS!!!!, but what are you gonna do. :angry: :( :D :thumb:
Thank gawd those kids weren't around when I was changing my flat! So did you finish????

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by Lucee
Kudos to Heidi, this little mechanical will only make you thirst for first for your next race.

OCDH, sorry about the mechanicals as well! I'm glad you still came in second. When are you joining our ranks???

No Mt. Snow for me - no more vacation. You going Lucee?

monkeywrench

Chimp
Apr 25, 2002
San Diego

Thank gawd those kids weren't around when I was changing my flat! So did you finish????
Nope, I wouldv'e had to run the last eight miles with my bike over my shoulder. I'm a runner, but that wouldv'e sucked. I couldv'e gone into the shop and bought another tube, but the announcer said you had to fix your bike with what you brought with you. The whole "no outside assistance" thing. I only brought two tubes, since I'd never flatted in a race.

I'm over it though, since there are three more races in the series.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Good luck in the series. I can't do the July 14th race because that's the week before Brain Head and I'm tapering. Then the next race is the week after Brian Head and I won't be recovered yet.

Again, good luck!

OCDH

Chimp
Feb 5, 2002
Orange County, CA

uh..NO. I think this is about as far as I can go. I don't think I'm pro material...I actually love my job, am saving to buy a house, and don't want to drive a 1980 rusted out Honda. Oh, and I really like to eat.

And yes, I am going to both CO and VT. Gotta buy my tickets soon, and start planning on how I can turn them into "business trips" so my work pays for them:D

OCDH

Chimp
Feb 5, 2002
Orange County, CA
Originally posted by tammy
Jeeez Heidi - you're still my XC heroine!!!

Also, OCDH, what class do you race? I'm assuming you're one of the young experts?
LOL!!! Tammy, your check's in the mail. I actually race in the older end of the 30-34 category. However, just last week, someone on our ride said "you ride like a teenage boy". Or maybe my hearing went bad and he really said something like I was old enough to be a teenage boy's mother..... At any rate, I'm old in body but young in spirit!!

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon

LOL!!! Tammy, your check's in the mail. I actually race in the older end of the 30-34 category. However, just last week, someone on our ride said "you ride like a teenage boy". Or maybe my hearing went bad and he really said something like I was old enough to be a teenage boy's mother..... At any rate, I'm old in body but young in spirit!!
You crack me up.

monkeywrench

Chimp
Apr 25, 2002
San Diego

...I actually love my job,

Congrats, seriously. Your'e one of the 7% of the U.S. population who is actually doing a job they love. My job is pretty cool, but all I want to do is race my mt bike. :D

Lucee

govenor
Jan 16, 2002
nor cal

uh..NO. I think this is about as far as I can go. I don't think I'm pro material...I actually love my job, am saving to buy a house, and don't want to drive a 1980 rusted out Honda. Oh, and I really like to eat.

And yes, I am going to both CO and VT. Gotta buy my tickets soon, and start planning on how I can turn them into "business trips" so my work pays for them:D

Yeah, it's all about the priorities. Me? I don't mind driving a piece & eating top ramen.;) Oh! And, there's no way I want a house. Sounds like way too much commitment to me!

At least you're getting to the nat'ls! That's great.

Heidi, I've got Co. sealed & am working on Mt. Snow. Wish me luck! Broken arm chic is gonna fvck some $it up! Hehe.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon

Heidi, I've got Co. sealed & am working on Mt. Snow. Wish me luck! Broken arm chic is gonna fvck some $it up! Hehe.
Uh oh, Lucee's on a rampage. Really though, good luck to you! Also known as GLTY.;)

Lucee

govenor
Jan 16, 2002
nor cal

Uh oh, Lucee's on a rampage. Really though, good luck to you! Also known as GLTY.;)
Yeah, a rampage to get these tendons going again! Ergh, talk about frustrating.
Thanks for the "GLTY" wishes. I realize that I won't be comepetitive, but I really just want the points. Oh, and I've heard so much about the course, I really just wanna ride it.