Quantcast

BB going Bad?

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
Hey all... haven't posted in forever due to work schedule. I've been riding my road bike to work three times a week now, but just yesterday on the 10 miles home, it felt like something was dragging me slower.

I pulled over and checked the drivetrain and brakes and nothing is binding. It seems the bike coasts just fine, but when I pedal, it takes a bit more effort than it has in the past?

Is this an indicator of my BB going bad? It's not making any weird noises or anything... just feels really sluggish and difficult to spin.

any ideas? Maybe I'm just smoking crack, I dunno....

:stupid:

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Testing of BB:
Take the chain off (don't need to break it, just get it off the rings) and spin the cranks at a moderate speed. Put your hand on the BB shell and feel for ANY grinding. If you feel nothing, look for any wobbling in the chainrings. This could indicate a bent spindle (I've bent a DA Octalink spindle before). And finally, if this doesn't pan out (or even if it does you can confirm by) take the crank arms off and spin the spindle w/ your fingers. You'll be able to feel ANY grinding or binding (if it's a bent spindle and not just a warped chainring) this way.

Edit: you can kinda do the same thing w/ hub axles. What kind of bearing surfaces are you running, freepack or cartridge (DA Octalinks 9spds dbls are actually freepacks).

Tashi

Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
Paully's got some good info there.

Something else that you can do when the chain is off is spin the cranks and put your ear against the seat (not right after rideing though, yech!) and listen to the BB bearings. Worked ones will pop and crack, ones in good condition will have a smooth, constant sound, a smooth "whiiir" sound if they're perfect.

Or you just had dead legs. I tend to check for brake rub quite a bit towards the end of the ride, usually it turns out to be my pinner legs. :D

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
First thing to get all nasty and tight on my commuter is usually the derailleur pulleys. Easy fix too.

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
Wow... great info peeps... thanks! Could've been my legs but I felt the same way this morning after a night of good rest and my legs felt great. I've been riding the bike quite a bit more, so it might be the derailleur pulleys. It's defenitely not the brakes... they're not binding at all.

I'll also check the BB using the methods you all described.

As to what I'm running... I have no friggin' clue. This is the original set up (I believe) and it's a mid 90's Cannondale Criterium with all 105. I haven't changed or replaced anything on it since I've owned it (2 years). 6-speed hub/cassette. It probably is due for a good tune-up.

Here's my bike. * edited because I didn't attach the photo *

Attachments

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
wooglin said:
First thing to get all nasty and tight on my commuter is usually the derailleur pulleys. Easy fix too.
Yeah, gummed-up pulleys and/or chain will make your drivetrain oh-so-sluggish. Clean 'em up and see if there's a difference.
A new bb will only set you back $10-20 brand new, so if you've been running it for a year or two fairly solid then it can't hurt to swap it out.

p.s. - nice bike! Very tight/compact wheelbase...I'll bet she handles like a dream.:cool:

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
thanks again, fellows. I'll clean up the drivetrain and see if there is any difference, as well as testing using Pau11y's method. DBR... thanks! Yes, I love that bike.... so fast.

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
Update: Bent rear axle. A buddy of mine is going to hook me up with a new rear wheel, shifters, hub and hopefully get me a 7th cog!

Question though... he might send me an 8-speed wheel/cassette with compatible shifters, etc. I know that the space between the dropouts got wider between 7 and 8 speeds, but it is only a few millimeters, yes?

I've heard (and read here) that you can gently force a little on steel frames, but what about my aluminum frame? Will the little "stretch" of adding an 8-speed cassette do damage to my frame?

Just curious to know you monkeys' opinions. If I can add two extra cogs to my old bike without damaging it, you bet I'm gonna do it!

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
If it were my bike I would probably avoid doing that. Aluminum frames, especially race-specific ones, tend to be pretty brittle with proper spaced hubs on them. I could only imagine it would put extra stress on some already sensitive areas. At the very least, it will speed up the fatigue process of the frame. If you can pop the 8-speed hub in without having to force the dropouts apart, then I think it shouldn't be a problem.
Another issue that could arise is how the rim centers at the stays. I'm pretty sure there isn't a huge variation on where the rim is centered, but on a tight stay area that your bike would appear to have, it might favor one side or the other - nothing a few minutes on a truing stand can't cure.
Call a few local shops and see what they think as well. Better yet, try to contact somebody at Cannondale. If they don't know then perhaps nobody ever will.;)
I've done that with a mid-80's Bianchi Stelvio (steel sport-touring frame) and had no problems.