Quantcast

BC BIKE Race - Tires?

mcgowanc

Monkey
Jan 22, 2004
Boulder CO
I posted this in the Western Canada Forum as well... but we are getting ready to do the BC Bike race - The race starts in Vancouver and goes to Whistler and we are trying to find the best tires to take with us.

Thanks !

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
It has been supremely wet this spring but it can dry out very fast once summer gets here, assuming it does. Schwalbe Racing Ralphs are well liked around here. Nobby Nic if it's muddy enough. 2.25 size too. If it's dry just about any low knob race tire is good. I recommend fatter 2.2 because of the roots. Wet or damp roots are deadly slick at times and extra volume with low psi will help.

A lot of the trails are pretty firm even when wet. There isn't much clayee mud mostly highly organic mud. Trails get armoured with rock and wood a fair bit. That can be slick at times. A triple compound tire with stickee sides is a good option too. Is the first stage North Vancouver again? Will this be your first BC Bike Race?

mcgowanc

Monkey
Jan 22, 2004
Boulder CO
This is my first BC Bike Race - and Yes it starts in Vancouver again. Hmm I have some Racing Ralphs on now (2.1) maybe I should just get a 2.25 front tire and call it good. And maybe a Nobby Nic incase it gets wet.

Has the weather started drying out yet? It seems like every time we look - it's raining! :)

Thanks so much for your suggestions!!

It has been supremely wet this spring but it can dry out very fast once summer gets here, assuming it does. Schwalbe Racing Ralphs are well liked around here. Nobby Nic if it's muddy enough. 2.25 size too. If it's dry just about any low knob race tire is good. I recommend fatter 2.2 because of the roots. Wet or damp roots are deadly slick at times and extra volume with low psi will help.

A lot of the trails are pretty firm even when wet. There isn't much clayee mud mostly highly organic mud. Trails get armoured with rock and wood a fair bit. That can be slick at times. A triple compound tire with stickee sides is a good option too. Is the first stage North Vancouver again? Will this be your first BC Bike Race?

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Yes light rain this AM and pretty much all week. The ground is really saturated right now. A couple days of sun and it seems pretty dry but it gets really soft with a little rain.

Rode Whistler Saturday and Sunday. It is almost always dry there. It is very rocky so even in rain you can use "dry" tires. Squamish terrain is in between North Van and Whistler in terms of rock versus loam. I haven't ridden on Vancouver Island in ages. Not since I raced in the 90's. But my recollection is that the Island is very much like the North Shore.

Ralphs are good I think. I'm on my Nicks front and rear right now on the hardtail and Conti 2.4 on the Blur lt.