Quantcast

BC interior road trip- must rides?

dirt_art

Chimp
Aug 1, 2008
Hey guys,

we have 6-7 days to drive from whistler and check out surrounding areas. We have locked in Silverstar, but are unsure about the rest of the intinerary. Is it worth the drive to kicking horse? Any other suggested stops/rides? I should add, we are downhillers but will also have jump bikes with us...
help much appreciated!
cheers,

simon

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
Kamloops. Swing by the Bicycle Cafe and hit up Cheryl for some guides. Be sure to check out the Bike Ranch and of course Rio (the trail Hunter rides in Seasons). You should also make a trek out to Harper mountain for a couple laps (super fun trails).

If you are looking for loose and steep, Sunpeaks is a must as well. And if you have the time, go to Kelowna and hit up Powers.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I think the non resort trials are much better but a lot of them you need to have a guide that knows the place. My favorite last year was Williams Lake. You could stop at Red Shreds and ask if anybody will give you a tour.

Jun 17, 2008
Prince George BC
Soo much to hit where to start. Williams lake is a favorite, Kamloops as mentioned, Pemberton is unbelievable but you will need a guide, Mission and Abbotsford are awesome, check out Bear Mountain and Arduum, the BC cup courses are soo fun. Im up in Prince George, got some sweet local trails, PM me if you are going through and Id be happy to tour ya.

flow

Chimp
May 6, 2003
Vancouver
If you have a truck for shuttling 'd head down to Rossland and Nelson. Both have a ton of shuttle ready DH trails and good maps available. Check out Sacred Ride or Gerrick Cyles in Nelson for details. While you're there be sure to check out Bald Face lodge for a nice leisurely 5000' descent. Other trails worth noting Oasis (Rossland), Gold Member (Nelson). Also if you're in the area check out New Denver for an amazing 6000' shuttle up to Idaho Peak. If you managed to bang off those 4 zones you will thank me for the rest of your life, seriously some of the best DH singletrack in the world.

Kamloops is a great zone too and not as far as the Kootenays. Take Seand's advise and pay Cheryl a visit at Bicycle Cafe. Kicking Horse is good but honestly I'd rather hit the Kootenay's any day. (Kootenay's being Nelson, Rossland, New Denver)

Cheers,
Jer

DarrylB

Monkey
Jan 16, 2008
the secret loam!
If your gonna go to kicking horse, you better hit up Mount seven.(10 mins from kicking horse) home of the psychosis. Biggest, gnarliest, raddest, most fun trail ever!

benjaminj

mr. amy
Mar 21, 2007
so. tahoe
If you have a truck for shuttling 'd head down to Rossland and Nelson. Both have a ton of shuttle ready DH trails and good maps available.
Cheers,
Jer
I second Rossland area and Oasis shuttle. There are so many good trails built up out there that it would be hard to get them all dialed in unless you had a full summer. But stop by the bike shop in downtown Rossland, pick up a map and make some friends too if you want to find the stuff not on the map... There's also a fun skills park in downtown built by Jay Hoots.

Here's a thread from our visit last summer at a friend's house in Rossland: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184314

dirt_art

Chimp
Aug 1, 2008
Cheers for the quick replies! I reckon we'll leave tomorrow morning and maybe ride 1/2 tomorrow, all sunday, and maybe monday at silverstar. We then have to be back in Vancouver for a party friday night. Generally prefer natural trails, techy is good, steep is good. As a guide, at whistler we love "ride don't slide" goats gully, in deep, D1, and don't mind the odd jump trail either. What would make a good itinerary for monday-friday??
I don't think we'll get to kicking horse/psychosis, it might not be worth cramming it in with the time we have?

TtotheJ

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
B'ham, WA
I think to keep the amount of driving you have to do to a minimum I would stay in the Kamloops and Vernon/Kelowna areas. A bunch of friends and I did a big circuit last year that included Kelowna, Vernon (Silverstar), Kamloops, Pemberton, and Whistler.

I highly recommend the trails around Kelowna; Powers Creek and Gillard. Also if you can find someone to show you, there's a cool trail outside of Kelowna that we were shown by a local pro called Postil (sp?). Its not super long but an easy, smooth shuttle and the trail is super flowy with lots of jumps and the craziest, biggest wall ride I've seen yet.

Sun Peaks definitely has some steep and loose stuff when its dry but I wasn't a big fan of the chairlift (super slow) and it was hard to find your way around. The next time I'm in Kamloops I'm skipping Sun Peaks and doing more of the local trails. We only rode Harper so there's lots more to find and enjoy.

What ever you end up riding I'm sure you'll have fun, the interior of BC has to be one of the greatest riding places in the world.