Quantcast

Beacon and Silver Mt

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
OK, first, we have had a meeting of the minds about Beacon and I think I can announce that there will be a DH race at Beacon May 21. Practice on Saturday May 20. Not all the details worked out yet but this will be an independently promoted race run pretty much in the same fashion as the Beacon Bomber in the past. There will be no XC on Saturday so practice will probably go all day. But there probably won't be shuttles. Everything i have written so far is subject to change and stay tuned for further details.

Second, Silver Mt. Mark your calendars for June 24-25. This is the date for Silveroxx, which again this year will be different than last year. Not positive about this but looks they will do a "Gravity Omnium." It will consist of traditional short DH, a top to bottom run (WIM Series course from last year) and a Mountain Cross. Yes, that's right, a Mountain Cross. And I know there will be prize money involved. Again these details are all subject to change.

Hopefully none of the details/events will change, but I wanted to start getting the word out now so peeps can make plans.:cool:

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
riverside73 said:
But there probably won't be shuttles. Everything i have written so far is subject to change and stay tuned for further details.
Not to be a negitive Nancy, but no shuttles? Is that on both days?

Also, what course? Thanks.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Nope, no shuttles most likely. Ah, the push will do you good - - warm up the ol' leg muscles. (Or save yourself the push and pedal up:D) Course is still to be decided on. My personal demented preference is to use the upper half of the new course and cross it over to the lower half of the old course. This is by no means set in stone, though.

How

Monkey
Sep 10, 2001
Area 51
oh my god, mountaincross is the best thing ever... and now we finally have it here, gonna save up for a race bike now.

good idea dude, i used to race back in the day but that was only on the state level, never liked the Schweitzer course so this will be sick.

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
In case you missed it in another thread...the no shuttles deal at Beacon is an attempt to save you, the racer some money, and those of us throwing it together a big headache. It's always been a problem finding drivers, the road at Beacon SUCKS, they are not cheap to rent, and it took me four hours on a Monday morning after the last beacon race to clean the dust out of them to avoid being charged more. The push up Beacon is not that far, you can ride the flat part of it. We would not consider asking you to pay what you have in the past and not give you ride up. Beacon is a cool place and we want to do something there for the people that like to race there. in the process we are trying to eliminate some headaches and leave some cash in your wallets.:rofl:

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
If you guys have permission to build trail on the hill, would it be possible to cut a trail that switches back on the really steep part of the hill?
Call me a shuttle truck sissy, but 2 times up that hill and my calves are on fire.
BTW, if this isn't going to be a NORBA race a few penny's might be saved there and I would be willing to pay the extra for a shuttle.
What about self-shuttle?

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
trailhacker said:
If you guys have permission to build trail on the hill, would it be possible to cut a trail that switches back on the really steep part of the hill?
Call me a shuttle truck sissy, but 2 times up that hill and my calves are on fire.
BTW, if this isn't going to be a NORBA race a few penny's might be saved there and I would be willing to pay the extra for a shuttle.
What about self-shuttle?
2 times? How about 100 yards up the hill?:oink:

If we could self-shuttle I'd be down.

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
riverside73 said:
In case you missed it in another thread...the no shuttles deal at Beacon is an attempt to save you, the racer some money, and those of us throwing it together a big headache. It's always been a problem finding drivers, the road at Beacon SUCKS, they are not cheap to rent, and it took me four hours on a Monday morning after the last beacon race to clean the dust out of them to avoid being charged more. The push up Beacon is not that far, you can ride the flat part of it. We would not consider asking you to pay what you have in the past and not give you ride up. Beacon is a cool place and we want to do something there for the people that like to race there. in the process we are trying to eliminate some headaches and leave some cash in your wallets.:rofl:
No I saw it in another thread and I understand the reason for no shuttles. For me and I'm sure others feel differently - a couple of pushes up, not a problem - but all day Saturday and Sunday not so much. I like riding Beacon and always look forward to the Beacon races but hey, what can I say - I'm a whimp. Now mtnx and dh at Silver :thumb: Plus the gondola ride is fun.

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
Well, what if, if we charged the race fee for everyone without the shuttle fee, and then just had like one truck and a per ride charge of...$3 or something, just pay the driver when you want a ride.

I don't think self shuttle is an option. kind of turns into a free for all and I don't think the City would go for it.

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
How about advanced shuttle reservations? How about a seperate prepaid shuttle fee, paid at least 1 week in advance of the event for those that want a shuttle on race day only. No advanced reservation = no shuttle on race day period. This might also encourage more pre-entries. Saturday I don't mind pushing if practice is all day, no XC means this should be a no rush practice day. Good luck putting this event together, I like Beacon.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Or just shuttles on race day. I usually ended up hiking on practice day because of the lines, but on race day that push takes too much from me so I would wait in line.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
I will jump into this and say unequivocally that self-shuttling will NOT be an option. I will probably have my pickup there available for use, but I prefer to have it at the disposal of the medics in case we need to take someone down off the hill.

C'mon you guys! You whine about no races in the state; no one on the west side steps up to put anything on; now we give you a race - - at a lowered entry fee no less - - and you whine about no shuttle service! Beacon is one of the most 'push-able' venues around. The locals do it all the time. I don't get the problem here.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
MinorThreat said:
Beacon is one of the most 'push-able' venues around. The locals do it all the time. I don't get the problem here.
There are a lot of places that are 'push-able' but that doesn't mean I want to do it for two days in a row and toss a race in there at the end.

dirtmover

Monkey
Jun 14, 2005
I did the blast off the last 2 years and had a great time. If this race does happen then count me in and would also rather hike up then hang on the back of a truck going up that road.

stacy1

Chimp
Sep 14, 2004
OFF 410
it is good to stretch the muscles out by hiking, I am hoping to get over there this weekend and do some riding!

holliswood

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
University Place
QUIT BITCHING!!!!!!!

Finally someone has an alternative to keep races going at Beacon and to make the entry fees cheaper ( I do recall people on this board bitching about not having races and that they were to much money) and of course everyone on this board starts complaining and whining! It kills me that most of you have ran both those courses 50 or so times and should know every turn by now. Even if you haven't you shouldn't have to make 10 practice runs to get comfortable. Walk up the lower section, practice that for a bit and cut the course in half. Then go up to the top and work it. It's even easier to hike the top section. Then put it all together for a top to bottom. It's not that difficult! We all should be stoked that these guys are trying to get something going to get more races available to us wether there is a shuttle or not.
I'll be there hiking my fat butt to the top!
Thanks E" for the heads up!

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
QUOTE=holliswood]QUIT BITCHING!!!!!!!

[/QUOTE]

I'll admit I was walking the line untill Holliswood reached out of the computer screen and bitch slapped me and every other whiner here.

ride

Monkey
Jan 11, 2005
holliswood said:
QUIT BITCHING!!!!!!!

Finally someone has an alternative to keep races going at Beacon and to make the entry fees cheaper ( I do recall people on this board bitching about not having races and that they were to much money) and of course everyone on this board starts complaining and whining! It kills me that most of you have ran both those courses 50 or so times and should know every turn by now. Even if you haven't you shouldn't have to make 10 practice runs to get comfortable. Walk up the lower section, practice that for a bit and cut the course in half. Then go up to the top and work it. It's even easier to hike the top section. Then put it all together for a top to bottom. It's not that difficult! We all should be stoked that these guys are trying to get something going to get more races available to us wether there is a shuttle or not.
I'll be there hiking my fat butt to the top!
Thanks E" for the heads up!

Haha! Here here... I second that. I'd push up that short road for a race any day. It beat's the alternative - no race at all.
Come to think of it... I seem to remember a lot, well quite a few people opting to push up instead of ride the shuttle.
Before you cry, think about it.
Riverside has worked to get a race going there again- and after the complaints about the lack of a shuttle- he's offered a shuttle option.

Props man. I'll be there.

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
Just so ya know if I can make the Beacon race, the whole shuttle or not thing is really a non issue. Right now I intend to be there if there is a race.

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
Thanks for the support. Just so everyone knows, I am not the only one behind this, MinorThreat, the Bicycle Butler, and everybody's favorite little Italian Starter Guy AKA Gino are all in on this.

And any peeps from the Slokane area that want to jump in and help out...we can probably comp and entry fee or two after you have taken enough abuse! It will take a couple of guys just to piggyback Trailhacker and his rig up the hill!! DOH! Was that my outloud voice again?

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Okay so you are saying not having shuttle rigs will save the racers money....so let's see the break down in entry fee vs. shuttle and no shuttle.

Eric, I want you to know that I don't mean to rag on the situtation. I know putting on a race is a major pain in the ass, I'm just trying to get an idea of savings.

Thanks.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
riverside73 said:
It will take a couple of guys just to piggyback Trailhacker and his rig up the hill!! DOH! Was that my outloud voice again?
Last time I was there I was riding a relatively svelte 42lbs M1, just imagine how much fun it is going to be with my 50lbs Dumbo???
I was hoping Hoeswood and Ride would hook one of those bike trailers for babies (becasue I am being a baby) up to their rides and drag me to the top!?!

Not trying to turn this into a bitch-n-whine fest. But as far as practice goes, I'm not there sessioning areas to try to pull out a win. I am there to ride a cool trail(area). Pushing up takes away from that because I will only push a handful of times. If there is a shuttle I will take as many as possible so as to maximize my good time.
I have a problem with driving 4-1/2 to 5 hours (2-1/2 if riding with Hoeswood) to a race where I have to push. If thats the case I can drive another hour and ride all weekend at Silver with a lift, or go 4 hours north and ride Whistler all weekend with a lift. With the snow this year neither might be an option on this weekend however.
The only point I am trying to make is I didn't complain about the race fees (at least that I can remember) but I would (and am) complain about a lack of shuttle. I am willing to pay the few extra $ for that luxury.
I liked Evilbob's idea of a pay extra for shuttle.
BTW, no ones mentioned exactly how much cheaper the fee is going to be sans shuttle?

holliswood

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
University Place
trailhacker said:
Last time I was there I was riding a relatively svelte 42lbs M1, just imagine how much fun it is going to be with my 50lbs Dumbo???
I was hoping Hoeswood and Ride would hook one of those bike trailers for babies (becasue I am being a baby) up to their rides and drag me to the top!?!

Not trying to turn this into a bitch-n-whine fest. But as far as practice goes, I'm not there sessioning areas to try to pull out a win. I am there to ride a cool trail(area). Pushing up takes away from that because I will only push a handful of times. If there is a shuttle I will take as many as possible so as to maximize my good time.
I have a problem with driving 4-1/2 to 5 hours (2-1/2 if riding with Hoeswood) to a race where I have to push. If thats the case I can drive another hour and ride all weekend at Silver with a lift, or go 4 hours north and ride Whistler all weekend with a lift. With the snow this year neither might be an option on this weekend however.
The only point I am trying to make is I didn't complain about the race fees (at least that I can remember) but I would (and am) complain about a lack of shuttle. I am willing to pay the few extra $ for that luxury.
I liked Evilbob's idea of a pay extra for shuttle.
BTW, no ones mentioned exactly how much cheaper the fee is going to be sans shuttle?
OK, OK OK, I will admit I could get you from Seattle to Spokane in 2 1/2 hours. And yes I would not want to push a 50 pound bike up that hill, but these guys are trying to do a race wether there is a shuttle or not. They seemed to have ruled out the fact that they even want to deal with the BS of getting shuttles. If the promoters decide to go the shuttle route....thats cool. But if they don't thats cool too. I cant beleive you want a breakdown (or difference) of the cost. You don't ask for a breakdown of the cost of your Mcdonalds Value meal and the difference between the large size or the super size, or if you could replace the fries for two apple pies do you?

I tell you what. You know I love you man, and if you wear those sexy little cheeta striped undies of yours on race day, I will rent a rickshaw and pedal your sexy a$$ to the top! I'm just messin' with ya Kev.

Hoeswood out!

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
When we go to Beacon, we get 5 good runs in and we all ride and push up. Time to get in shape.

Mut

Monkey
Dec 23, 2004
Renton, WA
I'm sorry, but I've rented uhuals and they are not that much. You pay the $25 dollar cleaning fee if you don't want to clean the rigs after the race. The extra $3-$5 per entry is well worth it. As far as getting drivers...well that does suck. I know the last race I did at Shelton I drove the whole weekend. I never have anything negitive to say about anyone putting a race on, so I'm stoked you guys are taking it on!! I just think shuttles are part of putting a DH race.

kail

Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
Montana
I can't believe the amount of pussitis I'm seeing on this thread. Every year I've done the Beacon races I've pushed up to the top. It takes 10 minutes. What a bunch of lazy-ass whiners. Well, at least I'm confident I'll do well, cuz by the sounds of it, most of you are quite out of shape.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Kanter said:
When we go to Beacon, we get 5 good runs in and we all ride and push up. Time to get in shape.
so for those from way out here, thats about an hour drive for each 2.5 minute run??. Im sorry, but thats not worth it for me. I appreciate that a race is being put on, but without the option to get rides up, it sure seems like alot more than its worth... unless, that is if the race fee is like 10 bucks without shuttle.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
holliswood said:
You know I love you man, and if you wear those sexy little cheeta striped undies of yours on race day, I will rent a rickshaw and pedal your sexy a$$ to the top!
Your on, but you know I will be wearing them just for you whether you drag me to the top or not... and I got the thong version just for you!

holliswood said:
I cant beleive you want a breakdown (or difference) of the cost. You don't ask for a breakdown of the cost of your Mcdonalds Value meal and the difference between the large size or the super size, or if you could replace the fries for two apple pies do you?
Hey man, Mcdonalds does it your way (or maybe thats Burger King - I haven't eaten at either in about 10 years) so bring on the pies!!!
I didn't ask for a breakdown, just want to know what the fee is going to be? Legitimate question.

I have been racing a long time and quit going to races that didn't provide a shuttle or chair. So maybe I am a fat out-of-shape pussy, but thats my choice. If I am paying a fee for a service and I don't feel like I am being serviced enough (and this doesn't include what Hoeswood performs on me) I'll take my money elsewhere or save it.
I have put on races and understand how hard it is. I wish you all good luck with this. But as a racer, not a free-hucker that's "man" enough to push, I made sure that I had shuttles provided because thats what I would expect.
I haven't ruled out going to this race even if there is no shuttle, but I've already got PM's and e-mails about going to the shore that weekend or down to Post Canyon. Yes we will be pushing but we won't be paying an entry fee. To me, thats what my entry fee is for. I stopped caring about placing or medals a few years ago. Going to races to me is just getting a bunch of runs in on a cool (hopefully) course. The timed part is just an added bonus.
I'll ad this last part. If you got shuttles and broke practice apart like last year (different times for beg/sport than for exp/pro) I would gladly drive a shuttle during the opposite time. Not the whole thing, but I would give you an hour or more. Not asking for any comp for this either, but trying to lend a hand.

ride

Monkey
Jan 11, 2005
trailhacker said:
If you got shuttles and broke practice apart like last year (different times for beg/sport than for exp/pro) I would gladly drive a shuttle during the opposite time. Not the whole thing, but I would give you an hour or more. Not asking for any comp for this either, but trying to lend a hand.
I'll volunteer to drive a shuttle for a couple hours as well. You might not want to be in the truck I drive but count me in.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
My parents will be there watching, if we race. I'll volunteer my Dad to drive for an hour:)

I'll drive for an hour too also, just don't ask me to back the truck up.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
OK, look: We aren't trying to recreate a WIM Series race here. Why do you think Gino was losing his shirt trying to host these types of races? We were trying to provide something grass-roots, low-key, laid back and fun - - something that one lil' ol' shop with a few friends could throw and be able to wrap our limited resources around and still give everyone a good time.

Tim's and my goal was to host a local race that, sure, everyone is more than welcome to. If you feel it's too podunk to show up to, fine. We were just trying to get the word out because everyone seemed so bummed by the lack of events. I'm beginning to quickly see why so many people get burnt out of running races.

BTW, it isn't about the money on the shuttles. There are a lot of factors involved, as was posted before but that everyone has lost sight of: There is the hassle of procuring the rigs; finding someone trustworthy and capable of driving a road vehicle in an off-road environmet; insurance and liability considerations; safety issue of the road itself; and I could go on.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
oly said:
so for those from way out here, thats about an hour drive for each 2.5 minute run??. Im sorry, but thats not worth it for me. I appreciate that a race is being put on, but without the option to get rides up, it sure seems like alot more than its worth... unless, that is if the race fee is like 10 bucks without shuttle.

I live about 3.5 hours from Beacon.