Quantcast

Beacon Blowout Update

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
Hey everyone, The Bicycle Butler Beacon Blowout is just two weeks away. And the deadline for early registration is a week from Sunday.

The good news: From all the chatter, it SOUNDS like there will be a good turnout.

The bad news: registrations up to this point are really slow. If things don't pick up, by this time next week we will have to sit down and decide what to do. Cancelling is an option if there are only a handful of folks signed up.

Please, please, please do us a favor and register early. I'll have MinorThreat post the print and mail form again or you can register online at www.active.com.

If you want the only DH Race in Wa State to be a kick a$$ time, take a minute and get yourself signed up. And tell your friends!!

I'm done begging now! Thanks!

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
ill be mailing in my registration on tuesday and calling to get on the volunteer list. I know you can count on 5 riders from around here.

Dan89

Monkey
Mar 15, 2006
my ass
bent^biker said:
ill be mailing in my registration on tuesday and calling to get on the volunteer list. I know you can count on 5 riders from around here.
yup im goin...

can anyone post directions or the address? i need to find a hotel:help:

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
I 90 E to Argonne, go N to Upriver Dr, go left, look for signs after about a mile (?). There's a Super 8 at the Freeway and Argonne. ( at least I think it's a Super 8)

gg

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
your camping choices are pretty limited. Riverside state park is nice enough , next to the river and lots of XC trails, but it's on the otherside of town (about 1/2 hour) from the race venue. The private campground Jellystone has gotten a lot of thumbs down reviews IIRC. Other than that, not much camping but the Wal Mart parking lots. I guess it depends on your budget.

gg

Dan89

Monkey
Mar 15, 2006
my ass
ive stayed at the riverside campground and it is really nice!

theres thes huge rocks above the river that are fun to waste time on and some xc trails. but if it rains.... that would suck!

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Took a few runs of the Blowout course last night and I think everyone is going to be pleased. It was hotter'n a pistol last night, and things are already a little dry, but the course ROCKS! Weather is supposed to go back to the 70s this weekend with some overcast. Should be perfect conditions.

We are definitely adding the new step-up into the Expert line. Here is a pict of my friend Devin hitting it:

We're going out tomorrow morning (Thurs.) to put up rebar and PVC and lay it out. Hope to see everyone there this weekend!

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
Hey sorry but ive never raced before, so it says the step up is in the "expert line" does that mean everyone goes through it can go around, or only people signed up for expert open and pro will be hitting it?

Is everyone racing the same course, or will there be some turn offs for the different classes?

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
Eren said:
Hey sorry but ive never raced before, so it says the step up is in the "expert line" does that mean everyone goes through it can go around, or only people signed up for expert open and pro will be hitting it?

Is everyone racing the same course, or will there be some turn offs for the different classes?
What has been done in the past, is "easy outs" have been marked off in areas where a "beginner line" may be necessary for safety. They are designed to be a slower line which ultimately increases your time. These "easy outs" are optional, but taking them, as your ability dictates, may increase your lifespan. That's the reason for the long practice on Saturday. Scope out the course and take the lines you are comfortable with. Aside from this being a race, the ultimate goal is....fun. Riding within your ability=fun. Riding beyond your ability=ambulance ride.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
who's saying ambulance riding isn't fun...jk...little too much of that recently, but it is a great way to get downtown fast during rush hour.

downhillracer

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Sammamish, WA
wait, i thought the course was gonna be the top section of the bomber (new) course and the bottom was going to be the bottom sections of the blastoff (old) course. :-/
where does the course actually take you?>

L

luelling

Is it find your own shuttle? thats what I've heard. I want to go, but my friends are starting to drop on me....if they provide a shuttle I'll drive up from Salem, OR myself.

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
downhillracer said:
wait, i thought the course was gonna be the top section of the bomber (new) course and the bottom was going to be the bottom sections of the blastoff (old) course. :-/
where does the course actually take you?>
That's right. It will switch just after the "Twisted Sister."

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
luelling said:
Is it find your own shuttle? thats what I've heard. I want to go, but my friends are starting to drop on me....if they provide a shuttle I'll drive up from Salem, OR myself.
Sorry, no shuttles for this event and self shuttling is not an option. It's about a 20 minute push to the top and we will have water at the top of the first long sttep pitch, and then water again at the very top.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Couse is staked out with PVC (but no ribbon) as of a little after 10 this morning. Stakes will get ribbon tomorrow. Please everyone respect the marking, so we don't have to redo stuff Saturday morning. The course IS the upper half of the "new" (off to the left from the top) and the lower half of the "old" (right where the two lines nearly touch after the "Twisted Sister" -- berm-to-berm). New to the course is the step-up after the drop-to-flat (photo above). That section is fast and oh-so-fun!

The usual ride-arounds are in place for the beginners/sports in your crew. Looking forward to seeing everyone!