Quantcast

Bearings in Industry Nine rear hub

Christiaan

Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
Weesp, The Netherlands
Wondering if anyone has had the same problems with their rear hub.

On my 4X bike I have an All Mountain I9 wheelset, which are great.

Last weekend I rode the wheels in really rainy, muddy conditions for the first time. After cleaning the bike by hand(no power washer or anything, just sponge and water) I discovered the rear hub was spinning really roughly. After removing the axxle I duscovered one of the bearings(disc side) was completly stuck, and the other one was really rough. Front hub is fine.

Are the bearings used standard model, and is this normal for I9 hubs, I really wasn't expecting this

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
No, thats not normal. I'm a maintenance freak, and my bike rarely ever goes without a thorough wash after every ride. Its also rare to not get muddy here. I've never had bearings stick in any of mine (3 pairs), and it took 2 seasons to develope play in my rear hub on the oldest set. In addition, my shop has sold atleast a dozen pairs, none of which have had the same issue at you.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Sounds like bad bearing, possibly a no grease or little grease issue. I had 2 sets now down to one (my oldest) and still rocking 2 years later, 4 rear rims, 2 front rims, 6 spokes 1 chain through it and plenty of hammering. Adjusted 1 time and replaced bearings recently due to heavy abuse (wet/mud/no greasing or repacking) and it was because I could feel a small amount of drag. Didnt need changing but figured 2 hard years on them I might as well as long as I have the chance.

Great products, flawless performance! Just swap bearings and see how they last, repack them with a better grease before install. I forgot to repack mine with amsoil grease but if I ever decide to pull them apart I will.

Matchew

Monkey
May 26, 2006
NH / Mass (ugh)
Are the bearings a standard model? Or do I need to order from I9?
If you get the outer diameter, inner diameter and thickness in millimeters, most shops should be able to get some good quality bearings from enduro or phil wood. Most places should be able to measure the bearing for you if you bring one in. Usually they run about 5-8 bucks a piece depending on brand and size. Or just give I9 a call.:lighten:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
dude i had the exact same problem WITH 2 rear hubs, i9 makes great stuff they just need to find a better bearing supplier, they suck...

my dh bike is sidelined because of this right now, and make note that the drive side bearing is a wack 29mm which is really hard to get from anyone but i9...

again the stuff is quality but the bearing wear issue needs addressed.

Fergal

Chimp
Mar 23, 2012
I've had a terrible experience with I9 Torch wheels.

First: Bearings felt worn in the rear hub - and this wheel was BRAND NEW!
Had to go to the lbs and get the bearings replaced.

Second: a problem with the freehub body: When attempting removing the cassette from the freehub, the whole freehub slid off without much pressure applied, resulting in lost pawl and some springs.
I9 advised they redesigned the axle, received new axle - seems like this resolved the issue

Third: Problems with wheels detensioning a lot (though apparently this is to be expected)

Fourth:
New bearings lasted 1 week and then were nearly seized when I checked them!

Very unimpressed with I9 - I could have got 2 sets of Hope Pro 2 Evo wheels and still had over €100 left over.

dytrdr5

Chimp
Feb 10, 2010
I have been runing my enduro set for over a year and all I do is take them apart every 3 months, clean and lube internals and they are good to go.

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
Very common for I9s, especially the non drive side 61804 bearing.No big deal they are cheap.Not sure what the climate is like where you guys are from but here in the southeast this year...Been through a lot of bearings, but I work at a resort and have to work in the rain.The 61804 non drive side rear and 61805 up front tend to seize up after riding in the wet or spraying your bike a lot.Learn to press bearings it's super easy.The Industry Nine guys are awesome, just call them up and they will take care of you.

Last edited: