Quantcast

Beech Super-D

stackout

Chimp
Jul 21, 2005
Boone, NC -> Cleveland, Oh
Thanks a ton to MotoMike and his crew for putting in a rad new line on Saturday, including some very impressive rock work. Me and the Mountain Hounds got out there today and flagged a connector from where they left off down into West Bowl. Here is a rough map of the trail - lots of work to be done (berms on the old "Super-G" trail, new lines around the eroded sections of the old West Bowl road), so post up if you can chip in, or just if you need instructions on where best to set a shuttle.

http://beechmtb.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/super-d.pdf

Trilliamiano

Monkey
Oct 7, 2007
Boone, NC
It looks like the route still has the traverse that led into the awesome mossy rock waterfall section. Is that where the rock rock was done? It's good to hear that the woods over there got some love.

stackout

Chimp
Jul 21, 2005
No, the new rock work was higher up. For now, we are skipping that section you described because I can not get it up to par in time for the race, so we are cutting across the powerlines immediately before it, and tying back into the old "Super-G" line, which I'm going to work on berming up.

stackout

Chimp
Jul 21, 2005
After 8 hours of labor, the Super D, while far from done, is ridable.

To get there:
Check out www.beechmtb.com/maps
Take the Backbone trail (nasty steep gravel road climb) uphill past Grassy Road 2 and Elk River Overlook trails.
The start line is the top of the hill.
Follow Backbone into the woods
Take your first right onto singletrack (Chamberlains Loop)
Singletrack dumps onto Grassy Road 2
Turn right and climb slightly to intersection and turn left
At sign for Powerline Dropout turn left on berm onto singletrack
Pass first trailhead on left (that is the outbound XC extension)
About 10m later, bear left on next trailhead (you are now on following the inbound XC extension backwards)
Right now, the only clear trail is the Super-D. However, if you see a fork in the trail, stay right.
When the pitch really drops off, you will see Moto et al's rock work. Everything after that is tread I cut today. Eventually, you will cross the power lines - look for the orange tape at the far side - when you get across there is a pretty big log, which I was not strong enough to chop through today. Follow the trail through the wood and it will kick out on the old Super-G trail. I did a little root work, and flagged out some S-Turns, but right now is very steep and pretty eroded, so use caution. Follow that to the bottom, and then take a left on West Bowl trail, follow that to the end, go straight into the sandy lunar landscape about 100m and take a right, that old jeep road will take you to the intersection of Beech Mountain Parkway (the very steep climb), Woodcreek Ln, and Buckeye Ridge (which the locals call Chestnut Falls). The finish line will be thereabouts.

stackout

Chimp
Jul 21, 2005
Mostly because all my friends are leg shaving XC dweebs.

All the info is at: http://www.beechmtb.com
Register here: http://www.bikereg.com/events/register.asp?EventID=13389

I put in another full day of trail work yesterday and cut in new lines and cleared up the roots on the bottom third of the old Super-G trail. I hope to get up there tomorrow and take care of the power line crossing and the big S-Turn I flagged on the top, which means you should be able to pre-ride a pretty substantial chunk of the actual race course by Sunday (when I'll be at Massanutten).

If you don't like pedaling uphill, I'd suggest setting a shuttle at the Smoketree trail head on Beech Mountain Parkway, then when the Super-D trail dumps you out on the West Bowl trail (big jeep road traverse) hang a right and climb back out to your car from there. Otherwise, you will have to ride up Pinnacle Ridge, which is for reals.

deadlink404

Chimp
Sep 9, 2008
Checked out the course today, and it was interesting, love the lay out of the course but the area of beech is awful to get around, took me literally 2 and half hours to find, after driving around beech parkway for a hour. my fault for not having a directions sheet. The beginning of the trail was good but then followed your directions and got on Chamberlains Loop and rode that and took that left berm and stayed right on that trail cause it forked off to the left, and ended up at the power lines, and took a left. Almost near death going down the power lines for the first time hauling ass and clipping boulders and getting into some nice deep ruts. then met some moto guys that after showering me with dirt and almost taking my foot off showed me where the super d was now planning on going. so finally on course i come to realize its not even close to done.

thats a lot of work in store for 2 weeks. sorry to say but you gotta count me out of this whole event.

Love the whole DH thing at beech buts thats about it after my experiences this weekend.

Hope everything works out on this event.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
You got nothing on Jeremy R and me. Our first DH race was in Elizabethton, TN and dude was taking the weed eater and loppers to it mid-race. XC the next day had briars knee high and the same guy had to step out of my way in Beginner XC with his weed wacker so I could get by.

They bush hogged a corn field 2 hours before the XC time trial and people peddled it in a pile of dust thicker than water.

No matter how bad you may think a race might suck, you should ride it...because it makes for better stories later in life. :thumb:

stackout

Chimp
Jul 21, 2005
Guys, give me a chance.

First, I'm sorry you got lost, and that the moto guy did not help.

got on Chamberlains Loop and rode that and took that left berm and stayed right on that trail cause it forked off to the left, and ended up at the power lines,
You misread the directions - you were supposed to take the second left after the berm and THEN stay right at the spit. As a result, you missed the entire top half of the Super-D course, which is in great shape and a lot of fun. All the sketch stuff you rode on the power lines is nowhere near the course. About 100 yards after you followed the power lines into the trees, the new Super-D line does hook up, and that is where I am cutting in the new lines to get you off the fall line. Toward the bottom of that trail you probably saw the lines I built last Tuesday, which are also a lot of fun.

Let me assure you that I'm not putting on a race on a course that isn't ready. Dan from the Town and Rory from the Golf Club were out there today, and I'll be out there all day tomorrow. The Super D should be ready before this weekend, and will get signage up on the trails so you can go check it out without getting lost. I will try to get some helmet cam footage for those of you who can't get up before the race.

Again, I'm sorry you had a bad trip, but before you or anyone else writes off this race, please at least get some feedback from someone who rides the actual course

Last edited:

stackout

Chimp
Jul 21, 2005
Is it just the maroon color? http://beechmtb.com/maps

Doesn't look like much climbing to me. I either have an 8 inch bike or my Trek EX9 at 4.75 inches. I really need to pony up and get an AM bike.
Basically, yes, although the whole course shifted to the right. The EX 9 is probably ideal. There is almost no climbing, but there are sections where pedalling is fast. The DH bike will be overkill. The course will be pretty soft, so a big front tire would help

Finished the course today, I'll get it signed tomorrow so folks cam preride this weekend. I'll have details about the shuttle posted soon.
One of the sponsors is Uvex...Hmmm. Had to chime in for no good reason. Would like to check it out though....
The MaguraDirect guys have been really supportive. I am putting on 42 other races this year, and I'm managing a new women's cx team, and would live to meet you.

Last edited:

josephgrimes

Chimp
Jun 10, 2011
http://beechmtb.com/amb

the super-D is fun. needs a little traffic to help beat down the newest sections - i rode 4+ hours yesterday including: two runs down the superD, climbing back up pinnacle ridge to the top, then two xc laps with my wife. the superD trail, while very new, is follow-able and very rideable. i plan to take my wife (beginner/cat3 woman) back sunday to get in some practice on the superD and maybe a xc loop or two. she will be riding a 26" hardtail. jg

Jul 20, 2004
GA
Basically, yes, although the whole course shifted to the right. The EX 9 is probably ideal. There is almost no climbing, but there are sections where pedalling is fast. The DH bike will be overkill. The course will be pretty soft, so a big front tire would help

Finished the course today, I'll get it signed tomorrow so folks cam preride this weekend. I'll have details about the shuttle posted soon.

The MaguraDirect guys have been really supportive. I am putting on 42 other races this year, and I'm managing a new women's cx team, and would live to meet you.
Jerry DeBin takes care of all our sponsorships and events. We mostly go through shops with sponsorships but we always are up for looking at more exposure.

stackout

Chimp
Jul 21, 2005
Super-D SCHEDULE CHANGE races will start consecutively by category (first Cat 2 racer follows last Cat 1 racer, etc). Race is still being run as an individual time trial: racers start by category at one minute intervals. RACERS GET TWO RUNS, BEST TIME COUNTS

Last edited:

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Burned in some laps on the Super D and xc trails today. The Super D course is ripping right now and its really bedding in good. See y'all next weekend

stackout

Chimp
Jul 21, 2005
What is practice like on race day? Time schedule? Will you have a shuttle? A few of us are talking about coming up to race.

Cecil
The Town of Beech is running a free shuttle (hay wagon, yea!) for the racers, so you won't have to ride back up (30-45 min gravel road and pavement) between your first and second run and after your second run. I'll have more specific details soon.

You can do practice runs on Saturday, but, if I finish the XC extension tomorrow as planned, you will have to chill on one section (1:52 to 2:48 on the tape) as you will be going against the XC flow, and there may be people pre-riding in the opposite direction. I will make that section one-way only for Super-D pre-riding during the Short Track races, since, ideally, the XC people will be doing that too.

As of now, there will not be a shuttle for practice runs, but you can set your own shuttle. There is a Google map showing shuttle parking and the route uphill posted at http://beechmtb.com/maps

Pre-riding, etc before Saturday go nuts: its public land. Again, remember about two-way traffic (I'll have a sign up), and keep in mind that you are only covered by USAC insurance on Saturday and only then if you have registered to race and signed the waiver. Furthermore, if you are riding alone and get jacked up, there is no cell service, and you will probably get eaten by the bear that left the giant paw print on the trail this week.

caleb

Chimp
Mar 30, 2010
sorry to say im going to miss it, but im going to be in whistler :D. Hope it goes well!

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
You can do practice runs on Saturday, but, if I finish the XC extension tomorrow as planned, you will have to chill on one section (1:52 to 2:48 on the tape) as you will be going against the XC flow, and there may be people pre-riding in the opposite direction. I will make that section one-way only for Super-D pre-riding during the Short Track races, since, ideally, the XC people will be doing that too.

As of now, there will not be a shuttle for practice runs, but you can set your own shuttle. There is a Google map showing shuttle parking and the route uphill posted at http://beechmtb.com/maps
Thoughts would be Tape up a 2 way Trail so anyone driving from 2+ hours away Saturday morning can get some quality practice runs in before race runs. That way we don't get in the way of the XC race. Can this be done? Please understand this is just a suggestion and I am not telling you how to run your show.

Cecil

stackout

Chimp
Jul 21, 2005
Thanks for the feedback. To clarify: the XC race will NOT be running when you are doing practice runs. IF I finish the XC extension, there MIGHT be some people pre-riding XC in opposite direction on one 250m section of (relatively flat) trail. However, I will make it one-way for you guys to do practice runs during and after the Short Track races (10:30 to 2PM).

As to my shaky video, its more viewable in smaller format. I had the camera on the handlebar, and I run my Racer-X with a Fox 100X without much rebound damping, and that was clearly not helping. Daddy needs a slacker, longer travel bike. So come race so I can afford it.

Last edited:

stackout

Chimp
Jul 21, 2005
ts official: Town will run a free shuttle from 10AM to 5PM. Its a hay wagon behind a tractor. Fancy stuff.

Give yourself about 5 minutes to ride from the finish to the shuttle pickup, 20 minute shuttle ride, and 10 minutes from the shuttle drop back to the top of the course.

If turnout is really good, and you can set your own shuttle, it might save all of us a ton of time if you and your crew and move yourselves uphill between the first and second race runs.

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
I think if the fellas feel up to it were coming out to ride the trail after wilsons. Is the trail head at the top where we parked for the first work party?

stackout

Chimp
Jul 21, 2005
Unfortunately, I can't. The money is already spent; im having to double down on medics, officials, etc. However, I'll try to make it up to you on my next event. If you did not register online or write your email on your reg form, pm me your email addy and I'll email you next week.