Quantcast

Beer Serendipity

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Ran out of beer so I wandered down to the local convenience store and picked this one up-

Very nice wheat beer from a big brewery.

Show us your unexpectedly pleasurable beers!

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I had a couple of these after a recent ride and enjoyed them, then I felt shocked, appalled, and dirty when I found out it was a BUD product. :(

Of course, I've been known to drink whatever beer is available...

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
See, this is what I don't get IAB, these big breweries have the ability to put out good beers if they set their mind to it. I've been impressed by a number of the premium brews put out by Kirin recently. Going back to a mtbike theme, some of the bikes put out by the big makers have been great recently, they have the resources to do it. It's great that they do. Do it more.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
See, this is what I don't get IAB, these big breweries have the ability to put out good beers if they set their mind to it. I've been impressed by a number of the premium brews put out by Kirin recently. Going back to a mtbike theme, some of the bikes put out by the big makers have been great recently, they have the resources to do it. It's great that they do. Do it more.
Yeah... but you see, 99.995% of the Septic population wants tasteless swill. Which they get. In spades.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Yeah... but you see, 99.995% of the Septic population wants tasteless swill. Which they get. In spades.
Now I refuse to believe that SS. If they're available people will drink them. Now I've only got hard evidence for this from here and from Australia. The availabilty of decent beer has been growing in both countries, especially Australia and people will drink it. I live in hope brother that a day will come when wherever you decide to drink a decent alternative will be available.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Now I refuse to believe that SS. If they're available people will drink them. Now I've only got hard evidence for this from here and from Australia. The availabilty of decent beer has been growing in both countries, especially Australia and people will drink it. I live in hope brother that a day will come when wherever you decide to drink a decent alternative will be available.
Yeah. Don't hold your breath for the USA. :disgust1:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Yeah. Don't hold your breath for the USA. :disgust1:
Hey, the big breweries are feeling the impact from the growing popularity of craft beers. That's why companies like Bud and starting to acquire smaller breweries like Red Hook.

That said, those craft beers are still small change compared to the big boys. Sam Adams is the largest "micro-brewery" in the US and they have <1% market share.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Somebody has to stand up for good taste. There just aren't enough of us here in the States to make any sort of impact. :disgust1:
My brother-in-law is English. When I first met him in England he would only drink lager. A crime in England where good beers abound. I expressed my displeasure at this and forced him to drink the great ales they have there. This year I went back to England and his beer selection had vastly improved and he thanked me for expanding his beer selection. He actually bought me a very nice selection of English ales and we went to some great pubs. One at a time SS.

Back on topic, the brother-in-law is Polish, born in England, so he bought me some Polish beers. They were very nice, cheap and good. If you like German beer, you'll like Polish beer. Thumbs up.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
My brother-in-law is English. When I first met him in England he would only drink lager. A crime in England where good beers abound. I expressed my displeasure at this and forced him to drink the great ales they have there. This year I went back to England and his beer selection had vastly improved and he thanked me for expanding his beer selection. He actually bought me a very nice selection of English ales and we went to some great pubs. One at a time SS.

Back on topic, the brother-in-law is Polish, born in England, so he bought me some Polish beers. They were very nice, cheap and good. If you like German beer, you'll like Polish beer. Thumbs up.
The Poles got it goin' on. Not just in the beer arena.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Somebody has to stand up for good taste. There just aren't enough of us here in the States to make any sort of impact. :disgust1:
Impact is being made. Craft beer sales continue to rise every year. That's why you're seeing the big guys releasing "craft" lines or buying up micros.

Hell, our production is up 33% over last year! :D

edit: correction, we're up 25%. The craft segment of the industry has seen a consistent 10-12% increase in sales per year for the last several years.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

When I was in Engand I had some nice beers but I had to go out of my way to find them. Most places just served up Guiness and Fosters. I was shocked. Even the stupid TGI Fridays down the road offers locally made micro brews.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
When I was in Engand I had some nice beers but I had to go out of my way to find them. Most places just served up Guiness and Fosters. I was shocked. Even the stupid TGI Fridays down the road offers locally made micro brews.
That's pretty sad... was this a recent trip? What parts did you visit? We didn't seem to have much trouble finding "local" ales at the pubs, but we were mostly in the countryside and this was "way" back in '99.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
That's pretty sad... was this a recent trip? What parts did you visit? We didn't seem to have much trouble finding "local" ales at the pubs, but we were mostly in the countryside and this was "way" back in '99.

This was last year in Birmingham. I was in a rough area so I didn't exactly check out every pub. A simple rule of thumb is to avoid establishments with a few days of vomit staining the sidewalk. When I visited family in the little town of Wisbech I was in a beer playground. Unfortunately I was driving.

Aug 8, 2008
I went to Belgium little over a year ago, boy was the beer ever good over there, also loved the fact that a beer was often cheaper than and pop or a bottle of fancy water. Can't wait to go back, but for now stuck with our Canadian beer which is not as bad as you boys from the south but not much better either.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA

Found 22's of this in my local supermarket for $2.99. 8% and it actually tastes pretty good.

It's refreshing and prolly the best thing to come out of St. Petersburg since glasnost.....
I just had their porter last night. Very nice, I liked it better than the Okocim I had right before it.

I think they are 500ml bottles though, not 22s...

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
I just had their porter last night. Very nice, I liked it better than the Okocim I had right before it.

I think they are 500ml bottles though, not 22s...
Ahhh...I didn't pay real close attention to the volume apparently...

Had this 2 weeks ago:
(Says: Mephistopheles)

Holy blind jeezuz...

15% Stout

It was a meal. But it was really good.
Great balance of tastes and not much of an alcohol aftertaste, which belied the fact that after 12oz. (and 30 minutes....this is NOT a beer to go quickly or quietly) I was a bit more schnockered than I thought I would be.

They also have a 15-16% Grand Cru called 'The Beast'.....We'll see if I dare next time I'm at my bro-in-laws.....

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Ahhh...I didn't pay real close attention to the volume apparently...

Had this 2 weeks ago:
(Says: Mephistopheles)

Holy blind jeezuz...

15% Stout

It was a meal. But it was really good.
Great balance of tastes and not much of an alcohol aftertaste, which belied the fact that after 12oz. (and 30 minutes....this is NOT a beer to go quickly or quietly) I was a bit more schnockered than I thought I would be.
High alcohol content beer FTW!

I've had that type of evening drinking double IPAs. :cheers:

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
the avery 'czar' imperial stout is kickass as well. love them burly beers.

edit - guess this is semi ot, as i expected this to be a tasty brew & wasn't surprised. i don't think i've ever been pleasantly surprised by a macro brewery. sad, really.

Last edited:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Given the typical American's inability to moderate, frankly I'm partly glad the hordes are mostly drinking low-alcohol swill. Give 'em stronger stuff and they'll still drink 12 at a sitting before getting in their big-ass trucks to drive home.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
I've got the new Full Sail Dopplebock (The "21" bottle for those that have seen it. I might even introduce a picture to teh intarwebz...) waiting for me in the fridge for the post-work hullabulleww.

Edit: Hmmm...found the page...but no separate image...so here...

Last edited:

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
^^^ It was everything I wanted it to be. It's actually a lot more balanced than the regular Dead Guy. Beery Goodness.

On a side note: I consumed my first A-B product in quite sometime. It was their "new" American Ale. It didn't suck. Actually quite drinkable for soothing the pains of watching the latest Seahawks loss...