Quantcast

"beginner" bikes?

sato

Chimp
May 26, 2014
hi everybody,
i've lately been getting really interested in downhill biking but im not at all familiar with any products, brands, etc. so i come to you for help.
i want to get a rather cheap bike (is below 1000€ even possible :confused:) to start out with, it costing a bit more is not a problem though.
can anybody recommend any specific bikes or brands that have a good price/quality relation?
thanks in advance

soft-compound

Monkey
Dec 29, 2012
Well best way to do this is make sure you like the sport as my friend thought he would like it after spending 4grand on a new bike and hated it.
So i think a lot of people including my self began with a specialized bighit which you can get full bike very cheap or buy the frame and build it yourself.
There is the 2003 onwards that take 24" rear wheel and 26" front or the more new version which take 26" wheels.
Get suspension set up for your weight and ride away.
Dont be tempted to just buy what everybody esle has or think you should buy , dont be pressured into spending mega money for your first bike as it will probably end up destroyed from crashing anyway.
Just build , buy and have fun.
There are many full bikes you could get very cheap these days.
The balfa BB7 for instance is an amazing bike 2004 specifically , these are amazing bikes and should last you many years.

sato

Chimp
May 26, 2014
Well best way to do this is make sure you like the sport as my friend thought he would like it after spending 4grand on a new bike and hated it.
So i think a lot of people including my self began with a specialized bighit which you can get full bike very cheap or buy the frame and build it yourself.
There is the 2003 onwards that take 24" rear wheel and 26" front or the more new version which take 26" wheels.
Get suspension set up for your weight and ride away.
Dont be tempted to just buy what everybody esle has or think you should buy , dont be pressured into spending mega money for your first bike as it will probably end up destroyed from crashing anyway.
Just build , buy and have fun.
There are many full bikes you could get very cheap these days.
The balfa BB7 for instance is an amazing bike 2004 specifically , these are amazing bikes and should last you many years.
thanks for answering, i checked out the bighit and bb7, and the bb7 looks heavy as hell, shouldnt dh bikes be very light?

Aug 4, 2008
thanks for answering, i checked out the bighit and bb7, and the bb7 looks heavy as hell, shouldnt dh bikes be very light?
If you want very light bikes you should look into Road Cycling, Enduroing or Cross Country. Also just get something cheap and if you won't be able to sleep after a couple of rides, then you should definately get a DH bike.

soft-compound

Monkey
Dec 29, 2012
Well looking heavy and being heavy are two different things , the BB7 ride amazing people whom have ridden these will tell you this.
You can get these to about 41lb i think but weight does not bother me as im used to riding 60lb beasts.
If your a full on race then weight can be paramount but if your riding only a few times a year like me then get what you want.
You can get giant glory frames pretty cheap also.
Also downhill bikes are only as light as you make them , why not get a freeride do it all bike like an SX trail or bottlerocket that way you can ride around normal on it and then blast downhill.
As a DH bike is just that , a downhill bike they have no other use than riding downhill.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
There are really only two options here:

1. As others have said, make sure you are going to like the sport. So rent or borrow a rig and go take some runs at the local park or shuttle with some like minded, possibly shifty, acquaintances.

2. Realize that you're a hopeless adrenaline junkie with little regard for personal safety and max out your credit card, take out a second mortgage, sell your body to the night, or what ever it takes to build up the world cup aspiring, uber-sled of global domination because there is no way you would ever "just give it a try".

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
There are really only two options here:

1. As others have said, make sure you are going to like the sport. So rent or borrow a rig and go take some runs at the local park or shuttle with some like minded, possibly shifty, acquaintances.

2. Realize that you're a hopeless adrenaline junkie with little regard for personal safety and max out your credit card, take out a second mortgage, sell your body to the night, or what ever it takes to build up the world cup aspiring, uber-sled of global domination because there is no way you would ever "just give it a try".
take my repz

Samoto

Dec 16, 2013
you can find some good deals .. look at pinkbike ads as complete bikes as spez status, giant glory etc..

Last edited: