Quantcast

beginner downhill

buckner

Chimp
Nov 2, 2009
hey everyone, i'm new to mountin biking and i've been really interested in downhill so i was hoping to get some advice on how to get into it.

Loochi

Chimp
Aug 18, 2009
hey everyone, i'm new to mountin biking and i've been really interested in downhill so i was hoping to get some advice on how to get into it.

Buy a used DH Race bike, and ride the hell out of it. Depending on your age you could do a little strength training and stretching on the side. Also racing is a great way to speed progression. Have fun! :thumb:

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
Find a good DH team in your neighborhood. Follow the senior and experienced racers, don't neglect practice. Ride a lot, train no less! Most of all, don't expect to win races. There are only few who can actually get that far. No matter how hard you try, you may never even reach a single podium. Remember racing is fun in the first place. You'll make a lot of friends and try to rival their skill every now and then. Enjoy the ride and respect your limits!

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
Find a good DH team in your neighborhood. Follow the senior and experienced racers, don't neglect practice. Ride a lot, train no less! Most of all, don't expect to win races. There are only few who can actually get that far. No matter how hard you try, you may never even reach a single podium. Remember racing is fun in the first place. You'll make a lot of friends and try to rival their skill every now and then. Enjoy the ride and respect your limits!
In my opinion, setting up a ride with a DH team is a horrible idea for someone who is new to mountain biking. It will be frustrating for you, annoying for them, and it could be dangerous since they're used to going fast and you're not. In fact, this whole post assumes that the OP wants to get into racing, which I don't think he ever said he did.

Getting a used DH bike is a good idea, but really, you can broaden your bike search out to any "gravity" oriented bike. If you're new to mountain biking you're not going to be able to tell the difference between a long-travel freeride bike and a long travel DH bike. If you're new to mountain biking in general, it might not be a bad idea to get a more versatile bike so you're not just stuck with a ride that only makes sense at a lift-served resort. As your skills progress, you'll eventually feel the bike holding you back, and you can move on to a proper DH bike, but in case you decide you don't like DH, you'll still have something you can ride for other disciplines. Shorter travel bikes like the Nomads, Reigns, Coilairs can be found a bit cheaper too since they're more common.

mtnbiker49

Monkey
Jul 12, 2009
Milford, PA
well, i was in the same situation a few months back. i rented the jamis bam 2 from diablo a few times, then went up there with my 6 inch travel freeride bike, then i went up to rent again and i rode so much better and was more confident.

i am saying that you should go ride a rental (if you can) and ride with other people that are not on a team.

gfisher270

Monkey
Aug 23, 2008
NNJ
i would say get a cheap new dh bike or a get a good used dh bike. when i started i would ride with some of my friends and they were faster than be but after you keep riding and riding you will be just as fast as them and most likely beat them in a race. also downhilling is fun without racing to. for me its fun to race but it's also fun to just get out and ride with your buddies.

1.)Purchase used Kona Stinky
2.) Ride with a group of other riders until you know what it is all about
3.) ???
4.) Profit
This is what I did. Best investment. I spent a season renting and it was good although expensive. I felt held back because of the bike fit and adjustment.

ALso find some people who are better than you and have patience! It will all fall into place!!

good luck

Last edited:
1. Buy my DH bike and gear....Sinister R9...kidding (sorta), I started on a FR bike and wish I bought the DH bike first as a confindence booster.
2. Take a lesson if you can. I know Snowshoe gives lessons and it was well worth it for me to have someone explain everything and then get to follow him down the hill.
3. Don't skimp on Safety equip. Get a good helmet and body armor

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
I doubt a newbie would appreciate or handle the greatness that is an R9. Given how friggin' fast that bike can go, no way I'd put a newcomer on one. Chances are they would get in WAY over their heads in a very short period of time. Like handing the keys to a Porsche over to a new driver.

For the OP: if you are truly new to mountainbiking, but a burly hardtail and ride it until you know the deal. Norco makes a bunch of cheap and decent ones for starting out on. Then get the Stinky. (You can still profit at each stage.)

Joss DeWaele

Chimp
Jan 30, 2004
The SLC
Downhill is the most fun you can have on any bike anywhere.

It is also the most expensive and logistically complicated form of cycling.

Where do you live?

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
+2 for the stinky, got 1 for my girlfriend for 350, with the races its entered its already payed for itself, stinkys are GREAT bikes to start DH with.

buckner

Chimp
Nov 2, 2009
thanks for all the help everyone, hopefully i can get into it soon. i live in tennessee so does anyone know some good places around here?

S

seespotendo

I've heard the name Windrock, Tennessee a few times on these boards. Google can provide more info.

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
+2 for the stinky, got 1 for my girlfriend for 350, with the races its entered its already payed for itself, stinkys are GREAT bikes to start DH with.

Does this mean that your girlfriend has won more than $350 worth of cash and prizes racing her stinky? That's impressive for someone just starting out.

I've heard the name Windrock, Tennessee a few times on these boards. Google can provide more info.
Have only heard good things about windrock as well. Seems like it's a shuttle only spot, and have also heard that it's not a good place for beginners, but someone who has actually ridden there would be a better person to ask.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Does this mean that your girlfriend has won more than $350 worth of cash and prizes racing her stinky? That's impressive for someone just starting out.
yes, she is pretty good, impresses the hell outa me. i get these surprises. "hey guess what i learned to do, i can drop of ledges" my flipping out who tought u that!?!?!? "idk some kid did it so i thought id try"

buckner

Chimp
Nov 2, 2009
i've actually been to windrock riding dirt bikes and i've glimpsed the downhill trails and yeah they look pretty rough but i looked up snowshoe and that's not a crazy bad drive so i might go up there and rent a bike and take some lessons to try it out

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt

Terrible place to "get into DH". Will breed total resentment toward the sport;). Windrock has a ton of great trails but the locals are fast and the trails are basically only safe for experts or above.

Advice:

1. Don't spend too much until you know that you're ready to stick with it. Hardtails or freeride bikes are good for a start.

2. PADS!!! Don't be afraid to pad up. Dress for the crash even if more experienced riders around you aren't.

3. Learn all the maintenance skills you can...DH bikes are complicated and they break a lot. I wish I had committed more to this earlier. Would have saved me a lot of grief and money.

Last edited:
I've got to second the tallk about PADS>

Buy a good helmet. Pressure suit. and Knee/shin pads.

I started DH last year. First timer. Never even tought about it before. But I dropped some $$ on a Full face helmet and P-suit and knee pads and they paid for themselves the FirST run. I went OTB onto some jagged rocks at a speed I shouldn't been going and got right back up. NO INJURIES> but the suit had a nice ding in the back plate. I probably woulda been seriously hurt with out it.

Since then I ALWAYS wear full gear when DH'in. Period.
I've taken several good dirt samples in the last two years including eating off of an 7 foot ladder to ladder drop. One again............Helmet and P-suit paid off!!!

Buy a Stinky! Buy Pads and Helmet!!
ANd continue to ask questions!! ALWAYS ask questions!!

DH SPOTS

DH for CHEAP

buckner

Chimp
Nov 2, 2009
believe me i understand about the necessity for pads. i've been riding dirt bikes for about 8 years now and i've learned a lot of those lessons the hard way, but does anyone think showshoe would be a good place to maybe rent a bike for a couple days and take some lessons?

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
believe me i understand about the necessity for pads. i've been riding dirt bikes for about 8 years now and i've learned a lot of those lessons the hard way, but does anyone think showshoe would be a good place to maybe rent a bike for a couple days and take some lessons?
if your are really riding dirtbikes and are half decent you should pick up DH like nothing, most of the moto guys cross over with minimal effort.