Quantcast

Behind the garage and thru the gate

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Couple quickie helmet vids I took today. Still needs some packing and shaping and I need to add the inside jump/transfer line but it's rideable and fun as hell. 3 hard laps of this bear and I'm ready to pass out. Tougher than it looks.

Backyard Pump Track on Vimeo

Backyard Pumper Track on Vimeo

It took me a while to figure how to lay out a pump track in between a zip line, treefort, tool shed, gravel walkway lined with 6x6 timbers and also landscaped - should be able to see all of them in the clips.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
looks sickness, nice trike. only thing is it looks like it could use some water, looks loose is some places
thanks - yeah, that was the 3 year old 12" w/ training wheels. I set him up on one roller and give him a big push to get thru a few of them - it's funny.

Yeah, it's been hot here in NJ this week and dried stuff out quickly. Rain is coming tomorrow and Sat so I'll pack some **** in.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
looks good ! interested to know, what's the radius on the 180 berm ?
It's about 11-12' from the timber edge to the fence - so 5.5-6'.

To help get the shape I had 2 plywood sides from an old ramp with about a 6-7 radius. Put them on top and stacked the dirt so it came up to the edge of them. It actually worked out pretty good.

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
That's awesome Don. I love the green veg laid out in certain places. I'm working on some of that landscaping as well for my layout. Back yard tracks just seem right in this crazy economy!!!!! We need more, and of coarse the bigger the yard, the bigger the jumps and berms.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
nice. looks like youve been busy.
have you been to the spot at all?
Been busy as hell - arms and body pretty toasted every night but mainly due to the warmer weather.

Been to the spot a bunch - trying to get it ready for fall too.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
That's awesome Don. I love the green veg laid out in certain places. I'm working on some of that landscaping as well for my layout. Back yard tracks just seem right in this crazy economy!!!!! We need more, and of coarse the bigger the yard, the bigger the jumps and berms.
I think pump tracks in tight spaces like behind a garage or backyard are really where it's at. I've been to outdoor public ones and after a couple laps, you get bored. This one I'll walk past to get something out of the garage and just hope on my bike and get a few laps in - flipflop style like T1/Jon or with work boots on. So instead of loading up the truck w/ gear and driving 10 minutes to the trails I can get a quickie ride fix in. Feels awesome right before heading in at night or first thing in the morning.

My wife was cool enough to let me build it so I made sure to have it hiden with a bunch of landscaping and it's mostly framed out with 6x6 timbers so it has definition and is durable. We have 3 kids and their friends and cousins are over all the time. They rock the treefort and I put a zipline in - at first it seemed like a pain in the ass to deal with working around that stuff but in the end I think it makes it even better.

And yeah, like you said the bigger your yard the bigger the stuff.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
very cool don. down the straight it looks like you could squeeze in a double as an option.
man, you know I'm planning that next! The hardest thing is trying to figure speed and I want it to work in both directions. Unlike the wood mini ramp I had back there - dirt is much easier and quicker to change.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Nice! It's amazing what you can do in a limited area with a little creativity.

Those trail lines are looking rad, as well. :thumb:
It could be even more fun/sick if I didn't want the kids to ride it or to make it look pretty. I would love to have everything about 2 feet higher especially the berms. Something like a downsized Gordy Toth's backyard would be nice.

Trail lines are getting there - keeping my fingers crossed to get more sh!t dialed before the fall season where east coast trails just shine. I'll get some vid up of a nice berm into roller section I've been working on for a long while - it literally feels like a roller coaster.

And to everyone - Thanks for all the props - you all know your sh!t and have built some legit stuff so it's feels especially good to get some compliments.

If anyone has some space and looking to build one, cmc had some really great posts on it. Not to mention the berm and jump filled tracks of Zach, TortugaTonta and T1magila. When I was first putting this together this spring - I looked at "PumpTrack Nation" and was going to get all symetrical with it, but cmc steered me into the proper direction :D

It's about 80% there so with the cooler fall days coming - hopefully I can bang out the rest before winter...

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Good use of your space Don. I'm not a park guy but it looks like a grind box could be really fun in the mix, like a roller to feeble on a box or roller to manual the box, you get the idea.