Quantcast

Behold,what's the best dh fork next year?

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
Watcha think? lots of good stuff ,,for me I ruled out 2 due to my weight (avy ti and fox).

1)Avy fr 2)888 3) boxer wc 4)bomber 5th)travis

only reason I put travis last is cuz I haven't heard much.
rs going to air on the w/c ??

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
I'm a Marzocchi fan...always have been and always will be. No one could ever convince me to run another fork. My vote is for the 888.

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
DIRTWRKS said:
What's wrong with you weight and why would that prevent you from going with a FOX ?

I heard negative feedback on the lowers with fox (my original 1st pick), 888 sounds like a great fork (burley?,good cost,been around).

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
If Marzoochi made Ti springs for the Shiver the perfect fork would have been created 5 years ago.......

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
The fox lowers had bad casting on the first bunch. The problem was solved for the later 05 forks.
Im going with a 06 fox cause I can get a deal, otherwise it would be too expensive for my taste.
My second choice would be a BoXXer Air, just for the weight though.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
the wc is indeed all air
very interesting fork

although id probably wait and see on the two first year launches (boxxer motion control and travis) and between the remaining id choose the 888 just b ecause its a lot cheaper than the fox and i really cant find any downsides with it.

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
I think we might be coming on the golden days of suspension... Back in the day pretty much 75 percent sucked ass, but most of the newer companies are starting to get their **** together from competition. I would weigh weight versus price versus warantee.... Personally I think the new Zokes is going to be sick due to the adjustability/price and the fact that I am already 185 lbs so I really don't care too much about weight on the bike. However the WC will make for a sick race fork and I think the new Fox will be right in there behind it... I still think that if you aren't big into replacing seals that Zokes is your only choice. My sherman is leaking everywhere....

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
sayndesyn said:
I think we might be coming on the golden days of suspension...
We are in a great period right now and I think it is only going to keep getting better. As long as there are people riding and buying bikes the technology will continue to move forward, probably exponentially.

Intensified, what kind of riding are we talking about, what's your riding style, how do you feel about maintenance, etc.?

Just my opinion but personally I would strike the Travis from your list. I really want to like manitou products but the damping performance is just disappointing and we've seen from dorado problems that they don't always have new stuff ready to go. Again, just my opinion, but I would wait at least a season before I believe their "trust me" claims that they have finally come around.

Otherwise it's hard to say without more information. I love my 888 and once dialed it needs very little maintenance.

But why do you have 888 and bomber listed separately? Are you thinking about a 66 or something?

RD

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Boston, MA
I'm down with the Boxxer WC. Feels so damn nice. 2nd would probably be the Travis, feel is great as well, but it is a HUGE fork. I don't think I can set up my bike's geomatry how I want with that a-c.

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
Otherwise it's hard to say without more information. I love my 888 and once dialed it needs very little maintenance.

But why do you have 888 and bomber listed separately? Are you thinking about a 66 or something?[/QUOTE]

My bad, I intended the Monster. In the past I had one with less travel with real good luck. I like low to no maintenace, the triple eight is plenty of fork I'm sure , I can't wait to try one.

RS has never let me down I am using an 02 wc now and sold my old monster. Prior to that the forks always got better. The judy dh was awsome to me when i got it like 10 years ago,my psylo would would have been the bombdiggity back then.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
888 or Avy. I go for reliability. I hate being down for awhile during the season.

Now that other forks are going up in price, the Avy doesnt seem that high priced for what you get.

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
I'd say either the Boxxer WC Air or the Fox 40. I have used both and i can't decide which i like more. I have cracked the lowers on the 40, but they are still the best feeling forks out there, they consistenly feel like new forks. On the other hand, the boxxer is super light, but you do get a slight "wet noodle" feeling, especially in high speed choppy stuff.

Given that the Boxxer is cheaper, i'd sit with that option, but if cost was no object i'd run the Fox. The Travdog could be good if it performs as well as it is said to, but i have to say that first generation stuff is generally risky. The 888 is my 3rd choice, and would be a winner if Marzocchi can 1) produce a good looking 25.4 direct mount stem that doesn't use spacers and 2) can sell it with ti springs.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
OGRipper said:
I really want to like manitou products but the damping performance is just disappointing
Hmmm....... SPV sucked balls for sure, but the old TPC+ dampers, like in my old 2002 old dorado, are the best i have ever felt. Better then the HCSV dampers im running now in my monster (got brake dive?), and on par with the fox 40. Just smooth, and you don't even reaslie you are riding over bumps, it just works. Pity the chassis on the dorado sucked balls.

I haven't run a new RC2x, hopefully everything is fixxed.

The quality of the damper in the dorado, in terms of materials and construction, is far better then anything marzocchi put together. Marzocchi don't even anodise their parts. Shame, shame.

That said, the chassis on the marzocchis, in my eyes, are better then whats available on the manitous and rock shock lines.

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
Kanter said:
888 or Avy. I go for reliability. I hate being down for awhile during the season.

Now that other forks are going up in price, the Avy doesnt seem that high priced for what you get.
Tru to that,,any good riding at Big Moutain? I heard it is real rocky when I was there skiing :thumb: .

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Cave Dweller said:
Hmmm....... SPV sucked balls for sure, but the old TPC+ dampers, like in my old 2002 old dorado, are the best i have ever felt. Better then the HCSV dampers im running now in my monster (got brake dive?), and on par with the fox 40.
SPV sucked, and in my opinion so does SPV evolve, and when they came up with evolve that they said they fixed all the problems with SPV. I liked tpc+ too but I don't have a lot of confidence in their ability to recognize that they messed up a good thing. They've had a few years now and personally they are the forks I want to like but just don't. Given all the other good stuff out there, I would not drop cash on a Travis this year. Just my opinion.

As for brake dive on the 888, it's pretty much gone on mine ever since I added the low speed compression sleeve. The low speed comp adjuster on the '06 version should address the issue. With the comp sleeve, flat crowns, and the right oil height, my 888 feels great in lots of conditions, needs basically no maintenance, and is reasonably light and plenty stiff.

Plus it shows my loyalty to the bomber girls.:love:

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
If I was to buy a new fork it would probably be
888rc2x or Boxxer team mainly due to price.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Brian Peterson said:
I am sure you can all guess what my choice is.... Hehehe

Brian
A first gen 888 with original crowns and no LS comp adjuster?

(I tried. Really. But I just couldn't resist. It was so juicy, just sitting there...:D )

Jabuttri

Monkey
Sep 16, 2005
Bellingham & Portland
I got to play around on a Travis a couple of weeks ago and i must say it was absolutely awesome. I havent gotten on the new zoke but it definately beats last years version. And i would have to put the fox in seccond.

Sep 10, 2001
OGRipper said:
A first gen 888 with original crowns and no LS comp adjuster?

(I tried. Really. But I just couldn't resist. It was so juicy, just sitting there...:D )
Actually, that was the fork I had up until I sold my DH bike... I only put in the LS comp sleeve to help sell the bike... :D And I liked the way my 9.5 rode with the stock crowns...

2000 Mr. T? Never had one... I did have one of the few Z1's from 2000 that came in a metallic yellow that was pretty sweet...

Brian

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I love this thread and other like it and anybody saying this is such as the best fork. What is the best fork for anybody depends on so many things like riding style, where you ride, what you ride, what bike you ride, your budget etc.

I fore example couldn't care less if 888 is a little more durable than the Boxxer. For me weight is very important both to accomodate my riding style and my weak ass upper body. I rode the new 06 888 on a 2006 Sunday Elite and loved its ability tackle rock gardens but I was just to much fork for me to move around like I can with my Boxxer.

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
Yeah, the fork and suspension choices today have a lot of variables (sp?). For me I'm sure any new fork would impress me, my current fork is an 02 world cup and I do like it, but I know it is missing something. Good to hear all the opinions out there, 1 more note that I think my next fork will have to have direct mount for the bars.
My buddy just got an '06 888 with direct mount, so will get to fly before I buy.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Brian Peterson said:
Actually, that was the fork I had up until I sold my DH bike... I only put in the LS comp sleeve to help sell the bike... :D And I liked the way my 9.5 rode with the stock crowns...

2000 Mr. T? Never had one... I did have one of the few Z1's from 2000 that came in a metallic yellow that was pretty sweet...

Brian
Awww you're no fun...:p No more DH bike?

Sep 10, 2001
Yeah, I sold it... Just not using it enough... But I have another bike just waiting for some parts... 7in will still be good for most of what I ride..

Brian