Quantcast

Bellingham Civic Field Dirt Jumps

NorthWest

Chimp
Feb 11, 2008
Bellingham, WA
So not much has been going on at the Civic DJ's. I know Metzger sort of organized it before Transition built their own. Does anyone know who has the water tap key now? I'd like to start doing some more work there, maybe even integrating it into my culminating project for high school. The whatcom trails crew is down to dig if we could organize anything. In the long term my a rad dj comp at the end of the summer.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
Metzger and Transition are done with the park. I'm in charge now. I worked on it for a few days at the end of fall and decided not to work on it in the winter (after the grass seed was laid) because it's not the season to be riding there very much anyway, and spring will be the best time. I cleared out the entire bio-swale of the tall blackberries, and I built a new berm and roughly opened up the second medium line, which will be finished when the weather permits. I'm planning on getting some work days organized for major work starting in late March. All the jumps will be brought back into good shape (especially the highly used small lines for the beginners), the pump track will be built in the space close to the road, and real drainage will be installed so that next winter it will be much more dry. I don't know anything about the key to the water yet. I suppose I'll need to figure that out by the time work is starting.

So, if you or anyone else wants to do any work there, contact me and we can figure stuff out; there is plenty to do, but I want to make sure anyone who does work there is on the same page so that everything goes the way of the plan. Technically I'm the only one allowed to do any major work there, unless I give permission to others. And yes, I really want to bring back the DJ comp this year sometime near the end of summer. If you want, send me your email address so that I can let you know when I have work planned (I'm building a list of experienced builders who want to help, who I can rely on if I need help with any work, or for having random short-notice organized work days).

Anyway, don't expect much to be done right away, but as soon as I'm out of school again in March, that's when the major work will be starting and there will be plenty of opportunity to help.

slcpunk21

BS is not a bitch.
Feb 14, 2003
finally transplanted
I have been out of the loop for quite some time now. I don't know how used the park is during peek season. I could help out from time to time, let me know when. It's been years since I've build DJ's and it was in different dirt than here but I could help out if you need it. I have lots of days off, I can't lock myself into a schedule, but I'm usually pretty good on short notice.

On a side note, has there ever been any talk about building a bmx track in Bellingham? I have heard a few people talk about how it would be a good idea, but no follow through anywhere. I'd be up for a bmx track, maybe get some races going.... anyways that's a bit off topic. If anyone hears of any talk like that let me know and maybe I could find an "official" person to talk to about it, haha. No idea where to go with it, but eh......

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
The DJ park gets pretty busy in the summer, especially in the evening.

I haven't heard about the BMX track idea, but I know that years ago before the skatepark was built (and DJ park later) that area used to be a BMX track with races, but then I guess it lost popularity or something... at least that's the story that I know.

I'll put you on my list. I just need people who have experience working with dirt jumps so that when the work time comes, I can say what needs to be done and trust that it gets done right instead of having to keep a close eye on beginner builders (not to exclude them, but it will make things easier and the process will go faster).