Quantcast

Bell's Palsy

bigshred

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Bellingham
This has not been my week. 1st day of spring break i fouled up my knee at exit 27. Shortly a week later I broke a bone in my foot and stretched the crap out of every thing on the top of my foot- JRA when the pedal got behind my calf and my toes pulled under and the sh!t hit the fan. Then I woke up today and had absolutley ZERO control of the right side of my face. Cant whistle, spit, smile, raise my eybrow, blink, etc.... I go to the doctor and he said I have Bell's Palsy- some sort of infection at the base of my skull that is putting pressure on some nerves. Somehow or another the infection has something to do with herpes! So I'm on Valtrex and Prednisone (some addictive steroid) all in an attempt to fix me! Any one ever even heard of this? or had it?

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I've had it twice. Once five years ago. And most recently about 5 weeks ago. Pain in the ass. Had to tape my eye shut. Can't brush your teeth properly...freakin' annoying.

I only took prednisone. (It's not that bad).

It's actually an inflammation...cause unknown... of the facial nerve.

First time it happened it lasted about 3 weeks. This last time was only about 1 week. But this time I felt it coming so I got on the pred immediately. It was way less severe. So I guess I nipped it in the bud.

It's a pain, but it goes away. Just be sure to take care of that eye. Lots of eye drops and tape your eye shut when you sleep.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
As for the herpes...I dunno. My docs never said anything about that, but BP is believed to be a weird viral thing...so it just has to run its course.

Oh and both times I got it, my sleep schedule was way out of whack. May or may not be related...

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
My dad had that a year or two ago - he got Lyme Disease and that was more or less the main symptom. It lasted 3-4 weeks if I recall, nothing serious and no lasting effects.

Kinda f*cked up though, huh?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
An uncle had it. From what I remember it should resolve itself.

Glad to see you saw a doctor, instead of getting medical advice here ;)

bigshred

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Bellingham
hmmm..well an uncle, a dad, and you MMike- how old are you? I am assuming fairly older than myself, at 20 years old. This is a bit depressing.... I just want to ride, lol!:confused:

lonewolfe

Monkey
Nov 14, 2002
Bay Area
Hey, sorry to hear about you streak of bad luck. Sounds like there must be a little dark cloud hovering over your head.

Now, about the virus. The virus that causes Bells Palsy is similar to the Herpes virus but it is not Herpes. Bells Palsy is actually very common and fortuantely it is only a temporary condition. There is a good chance that when the numbness wears off you will experience pain on that whole side of your face. This too will only be temporary.

Here's the good news, You'll live!!!! :D

Honeywell

Monkey
Sep 21, 2001
Bellingham
Originally posted by bigshred
JRA when the pedal got behind my calf and my toes pulled under and the sh!t hit the fan.
Ouch :dead:, it makes me cringe just thinking about this cause I know how much that hurts!

Originally posted by bigshred
Then I woke up today and had absolutley ZERO control of the right side of my face. Cant whistle, spit, smile, raise my eybrow, blink, etc.... I go to the doctor and he said I have Bell's Palsy- some sort of infection at the base of my skull that is putting pressure on some nerves. Any one ever even heard of this? or had it? [/B]
My sister's boyfriend had it. Put him on some meds and everything was ok. Like others said, it goes away.

there are several types of herpes virus.

the genital "herpes" that everyone thinks about when one says "herpes" is only one type.

the anti-viral medications acyclovir-etc. is used to treat all types of herpes virus. chicken pox and the old fogey variant, shingles is caused by the herpes virus.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I had it about ten years ago... same treatment... tape eye closed, had to be careful not to bite my lip when eating etc...

Lasted a couple weeks and has never returned.

I though at first I was having a stroke tho even though I was just 26 at the time....

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Originally posted by N8
I had it about ten years ago... same treatment... tape eye closed, had to be careful not to bite my lip when eating etc...

Lasted a couple weeks and has never returned.

I though at first I was having a stroke tho even though I was just 26 at the time....
i blame the liberal media

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
My older brother had an episode for the first time about 2 years ago, 33 yrs old, and it lasted a week or two. He didn't really experience much discomfort, basically was just a pain in the a**.

Sorry to hear you've got to deal with it though :(

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Originally posted by VTinCT
Pain in the a$$ or not, it sounds scary. I'd flip out if I woke up with my face going hoopie! feel better man.
Yeah...I think if I woke up with half my face bein kinda weird I'd flip too....hope it heals up (and the foot...yeowch! :( sorry man)

bigshred

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Bellingham
Thanks yall! band aided my eye shut and got some sleep, Its really crappy in the shower- got so much shammpoo in my eye. Has it been three weeks yet? lol