Quantcast

bend trails, anyone?

TWeerts

Monkey
Jan 7, 2007
The Area Bay
i will be taking a trip to bend the first week of april and need to find some trails. i ride an SX trail, to give you an idea of the trails i like. i dont mind pedaling to the top, but am a downhiller, so the decent should be the focus. epic decents...

can anyone share some trails worth riding?

how easy are they to find?

i am a visitor, so i dont expect to be riding the secrets.

thanks

gonefirefightin

free wieners
cache mountain is pretty sick, it is more in sisters than bend but worth the drive, you can also do the local "phils loop" and "helicopter pad" they are right out of town on the west side. stop by century cycles and ask around for better directions. you can also ride kline butte near eagle crest in redmond. pretty good drops, just watch out for the moto guys.

Oct 2, 2001
Bend, Oregon
There probably won't be a whole lot of trails clear of snow or mud in Bend proper the first week of April. That said, there are a couple of short DH runs and jumps on Kline Butte near Redmond. Horse Ridge east of Bend, and Smith Rock North of Redmond will both be clear and have some fun riding. Horse Ridge is a little more technical then Smith Rock, but is still pretty much an xc ride. I hope I didn't rain on your parade, but we got a lot of snow this year so the trails are going to be slow to thaw out.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
No, in April there will still be too much snow for any of the steeper trails in Bend. You could try Cline Butte like Captain Cogset recommended. I could show you that area.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Hey Heidi! You guys enjoying winter? :)

Yeah, I can't think of anything that will be snow free by then. Even Gray Butte behind Smith Rocks as well as Lookout (awesome descent and easy, scenic climb) in the Ochecos.

Tweerts, your "epic descents" will all still be under snow then me thinks...

Try keeping up to the latest here at the local club's website. It's usually pretty up to date (www.cotamtb.com) and also try the OR forum at [url]www.mtbr.com as well.

sperkins

Monkey
Feb 26, 2008
No, in April there will still be too much snow for any of the steeper trails in Bend. You could try Cline Butte like Captain Cogset recommended. I could show you that area.
yeah there is definitely too much snow in the area right now.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
McKenzie River Trail.
I'm not sure about the snow levels as I don't really remember the elevation. The ride was awesome. If you shuttle it with 2 cars, you can a very long xc ride that has just a touch of DH bias. Your SX will be perfect. Great singletrack on lava.

TWeerts

Monkey
Jan 7, 2007
The Area Bay
thanks. it sounds like there is too much snow to make a trip at that time worth it. bummer.

how much snow is there in the town of bend? or is there any?

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
how much snow is there in the town of bend? or is there any?
None anymore, but the mountains have heavy snow now. Horse Ridge is good. I have seen guys shuttle it but I'm not exactly sure how they did it and it would definitely take a good FWD rig.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
None anymore, but the mountains have heavy snow now. Horse Ridge is good. I have seen guys shuttle it but I'm not exactly sure how they did it and it would definitely take a good FWD rig.

They must take that little dirt rode - I think it's the 30.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Could always drive over to Blackrock....if you have 3 hours to kill each way :) We're clear of snow over here.

Feb 26, 2008
Bend Oregon
I rode Maston on 3/8/08. It was just O.K. A bit of a sand pit in more than a few places. But it was fun getting on my bike, considering I haven't rode since Sept. of 07