Quantcast

Bender going for the century

greg447

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
new hampshire
Well here's the physics of the drop, i figured it out and bender will be doing arounf 90 mpph as he drops. at 90 mph the force alone when he makes impact will likely break his pelvis, neck and seriously injure his spine.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
greg447 said:
Well here's the physics of the drop, i figured it out and bender will be doing arounf 90 mpph as he drops. at 90 mph the force alone when he makes impact will likely break his pelvis, neck and seriously injure his spine.
You need to go back to physics class. It'll be about 54 mph.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
54.68 mph - wind resistance, which is high around 54 mph so he'll probably land at around 47 or 48 mph, which is definetley do able with 12 inches of travel and a super steep tranny, cause if i can land at 15 mph on a hardtail to flat concrete (7-8 feet), then 47 with 12 inches of travel and a 70 degree tranny is more than possible. How about you think about the numbers before talking ;)

If you know a little trig, you'd be able to figure out that the force of 70 degree dirt tranny at that speed is actually a tad less when you factor in the hardness of concrete, and if i can do a drop that hard, i'm sure bender can....so i guess i kind of finished the argument?
________
THE CIGAR BOSS

Last edited:

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
who the hell is that guy stupid enough to do that drop...it almost looks photoshopped...or a suicide...the tranny is not near steep enough..any info dartman??

konabiker

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Santa Barbara
allsk8sno said:
who the hell is that guy stupid enough to do that drop...it almost looks photoshopped...or a suicide...the tranny is not near steep enough..any info dartman??
If I remember right it was an April fools day joke by a moderator over on the mtbr DH/FR forum. It’s not photoshop, they just hooked up a doll like thing to a bike and hucked it off the cliff.

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
Perhaps bender is going to do the stunt double dummy switcharoo and laugh his ass off as he collects the money from sponsors... He just needs the dummy on locked in clipless pedals, hands glued to the grips, and a small clear fiber optic (ish) cable to stabilize the head as it takes the drop... Then pay off the camera guys with a few cases of beer, and send the footage out... Let's face it, bender doesn't really look more stylish in the air than a stuffed manican (spelling?) anyways...

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
gemini2k said:
54.68 mph - wind resistance, which is high around 54 mph so he'll probably land at around 47 or 48 mph, which is definetley do able with 12 inches of travel and a super steep tranny, cause if i can land at 15 mph on a hardtail to flat concrete (7-8 feet), then 47 with 12 inches of travel and a 70 degree tranny is more than possible. How about you think about the numbers before talking ;)

If you know a little trig, you'd be able to figure out that the force of 70 degree dirt tranny at that speed is actually a tad less when you factor in the hardness of concrete, and if i can do a drop that hard, i'm sure bender can....so i guess i kind of finished the argument?
yeah you're on the right track. a long azz tranny from near vertical to flat over a long distance will avoid broken bones from impact.

come on people its not like the guy is gonna be dropping to flat. it is all about changing the direction of his momentum / dissipating knetic energy of the longest possible time.

the first trick is gonna be finding a place to build a MONSTER tranny. the next trick is gonna be hitting the tranny with proper bike attitude and alignment. finally bender'll have to ride-out the tranny, cuz the ride is gonna be long way from over once he makes it TO the tranny. just think of dropping into a 500ft high quarter pipe with 100' of vert...actually thinking of it that way, the tranny would have to be ridiculously large.

in theory physically do-able? you bet. easy or possible in practice? uh, no & highly unlikely.

good luck...

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
AlmostHeaven said:
what the hell is that?!
It's proof that any "dummy" can jump off a cliff. Utah rider Mike Wilson's Dad ("Shuntavi" on MTBR) shot the sequence of a dummy on a bike going off the cliff. It almost stuck the landing.

Everyone I show the pic to says "Whoa, Is that Bender?!"

Mike

El Caballo

Chimp
Nov 21, 2004
East Bay, West Coast
The ski jump vertical record is Paul Ahern, at about 225 feet. He wore a backpack full of Styrofoam and landed in several feet of snow, but broke his sternum and some ribs upon landing anyway.

I've seen the video. It's a long, long way down, and it's really hard to land feet first because of air pushing you around.

Logchucker

Chimp
Sep 1, 2005
The guy who set the ski record actually thought he wasgoing 120. He took off on th wrong spot on the cliff. So he really wasn't that good of a hucker, Jamie Pierre has a 250ish scoped out, and he could stompit

Shepherdwong

Monkey
Apr 19, 2005
sayndesyn said:
Perhaps bender is going to do the stunt double dummy switcharoo and laugh his ass off as he collects the money from sponsors... He just needs the dummy on locked in clipless pedals, hands glued to the grips, and a small clear fiber optic (ish) cable to stabilize the head as it takes the drop... Then pay off the camera guys with a few cases of beer, and send the footage out... Let's face it, bender doesn't really look more stylish in the air than a stuffed manican (spelling?) anyways...
Oh the classic Switcharoo! Better yet make sure the landing is in some trees, where he would be hiding dressed the same. Hide the dummy, pull the double switcharoo and watch the paychecks flow in.
:sneaky:

Aside from all the hate,hype and hoopla concerning Benders plan you gotta admit that a least a little piece of every downhiller and huckster hopes he pulls it off.
As absurd as the distance is i really gotta wish him the best.
Just like OGRipper mentioned.....years back (as in 10) when a guy did a 5' drop people were all "whoa, OMG, i can't believe that" and now its all ho-hum,yawn.

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
LOOnatic said:
Aside from all the hate,hype and hoopla concerning Benders plan you gotta admit that a least a little piece of every downhiller and huckster hopes he pulls it off.
As absurd as the distance is i really gotta wish him the best.
Just like OGRipper mentioned.....years back (as in 10) when a guy did a 5' drop people were all "whoa, OMG, i can't believe that" and now its all ho-hum,yawn.
i agree with what some other people said already...he should work on sticking the landings on some smaller stuff first. but ya i sure hope the guy doesn't die, can't wish that on anyone. plus...if he did die trying, that can't be such a great image to people for every other downhiller, freerider, huckster out there.

konabiker

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Santa Barbara
LukeD said:
i agree with what some other people said already...he should work on sticking the landings on some smaller stuff first. but ya i sure hope the guy doesn't die, can't wish that on anyone. plus...if he did die trying, that can't be such a great image to people for every other downhiller, freerider, huckster out there.
Trust me, Bender's 'friend' at the marzo booth from interbike will not let go of him long enough for him to hit the drop.

http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/news/?op=articleview&id=2856

Kopiklokoli

Monkey
Jul 31, 2004
Nor Cal, of course
I know some people are trying to figure it out with physics, I really dont even think thats necessary. I mean he has not landed anything half as big as 100ft, it will be another hospital stay for him if hes lucky.

I can't wait to see if he actually does it, and If he does, I can't wait to see all the "FEET IN MOUTHS" if he actually does land it...

You say that maybe he sees something we don't??? Maybe he's going to be the premeir test dummy for some new breed of super bike, or maybe he's gonna use the new Foes 2:1 bike! HMMM, Does that mean his chances of landing are 2:1?!!! :D

ragin-sagin

Monkey
Oct 2, 2003
NZ
I think he would have a great chance on an Ellsworth. It would surely shatter into a million pieces, absorbing the majority of the impact.

ragin-sagin

Monkey
Oct 2, 2003
NZ
You know a cats terminal velocity is around 60mph (don't ask how I know)....if Bender were to wear some tabby-esque fur coat-pant combo he might just be able to attain an even slower velocity. Now that would be sweet. Meow.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
It's hard for me to believe that Bender crashes as much as a lot of peole here say. I get the feeling that he just gets too amped up when the cameras are rolling. And whether he does 100ft or not, he's already got people talking about him and his sponsors.

Will Bender land 100 ft anytime soon? I have no idea. Will someone, sometime? Sure.

DHZombie

Chimp
Jul 12, 2005
Leesburg, VA
OGRipper said:
It's hard for me to believe that Bender crashes as much as a lot of peole here say.
I have to agree with most of the monkey's who say that Josh Bender sure does crash alot !!!

Take a look at the "Bender" special feature on the New World Disorder #6, Disorderly Conduct. This shows how many times he takes a licking just performing a back-flip (not to say that doing a back flip is easy).

Please Bender, don't hurt em !!!!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
DHZombie said:
I have to agree with most of the monkey's who say that Josh Bender sure does crash alot !!!
Unless you are one of his riding buddies (who all seem to say he's got mad skills), you are only talking about film footage. It is easy to manipulate what you see and what you don't.

Bender's got an image that has nothing to do with technical tricks and everything to do with big hucks and lots of crashes. It's unfortunate but a lot of people see him as the Johnny Knoxville (Jackass) of freeride. He would probably not get into many movies but for his reputation and history of spectacular footage. He's taking what he can get, and personally I don't blame him for it. Is this 100 ft thing a publicity stunt? Sure, but aren't all the comps too?

snoopz666

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
now residing in kamloops
DHZombie said:

Take a look at the "Bender" special feature on the New World Disorder #6, Disorderly Conduct. This shows how many times he takes a licking just performing a back-flip (not to say that doing a back flip is easy).
i think that its media coverage that potrays him as a bad rider. the backflip in NWD was prety sketchy and most people would have gave up after the first try. i think that when he dose crash he crashes huge, because hes doing something big.

i think that if the majority of you nay sayers actually rode with him you would change your mind. most of what you say is e-spectulation. but then again saying he is a good rider is doing the same, since i personally have never ridden with him.

Aug 2, 2005
The Island
One suggestion for Bender.......have a medi-flight helicopter on scene and warmed up before he approaches this drop. Because the chances are he's going to need it.