Quantcast

Bending bolts

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
Hi

I've noticed that my top shock bolt of my Kona Stinky was a little bended, not that much, because the unscrewing of the bolt was fairly easy. My Manitou shock spacers are just a little bended/tweaked.
This happend when I dropped a 6' to almost flat and my shock bottemed. (Swinger shock with not enough SPV volume and pressure and my preload was also too low, dumb I know)

I'm gonna order a new "DH bolt kit" from Kona, but I'm heading to a bike park tommorrow. So my question is :

- Can I 'bend' it back and use it for two more days ?
- Or would this bolt break very soon and is this a No go biketrip?

thanks.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
also, preload shouldn't effect whether your shock bottoms out or not.

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
Originally posted by SuperSlow
you would be better off leaving the bolt bent than bending it back
Well I did give the bolt a smack or two with a hammer to make it 'straighter' so it would be easier to screw it back in.
Mmm shouldn't have done that.
Is the bolt now extremely breakable or can I still ride like this for two days ?

SuperSlow

Monkey
May 18, 2004
Bellingham
Originally posted by preppie
Well I did give the bolt a smack or two with a hammer to make it 'straighter' so it would be easier to screw it back in.
Mmm shouldn't have done that.
Is the bolt now extremely breakable or can I still ride like this for two days ?
Thats one of those things I wouldnt make a call on, and would just be a judgment thing on your part. You may want to try a performance auto shop for a replacment.

T0mo

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
nedtown, colorado
I've bent bolts back LOTS of times now and have never had a problem. If it's really, really bent (doesn't sound it), just go to a hardware store and get a new one for $0.05.

SebringMGB

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Washington
I would NOT bend a bolt back..... when it bends one side gets streched, and when you bend it back, the overall length is no longer consistent, its doubtfull the profile is perfectly round, and its going to be way more brittle. it may break next time, and that will probably cause frame damage or injury. not to mention ovalizing mounting holes. and good luck finding the right metric bolt you need at a hardware store... unless you are outside the states

T0mo

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
nedtown, colorado
Originally posted by SebringMGB
and good luck finding the right metric bolt you need at a hardware store... unless you are outside the states
he is

Also, Why would anyone have any problems finding metric stuff in the US?

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Originally posted by T0mo
I've bent bolts back LOTS of times now and have never had a problem. If it's really, really bent (doesn't sound it), just go to a hardware store and get a new one for $0.05.
5 cents? either you've found the killerest of deals, or you're using jungle-gym hardware ;)

make sure you get a 12.9 Grade bolt if your DH hardware kit doesnt supply the bolt.

Anders

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
Carlsbad, CA, USA
do not ride it anymore, or this could happen. kona covered this once, but said they wouldnt do it again. tho after this i got the upgrade bolts and its been fine. just a warning here

Attachments

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
Damn those pic's make me really nervous.
I'm going to try to find a hardware store that's open on Sundays,
to find a new 12.9 Grade bolt.

@willyboy8576 : I hang around/ride in Belgium, The Netherlands, Germany and France. (Metric is the standard here)

Thanks a lot.