Quantcast

Benotto broken cranks.

mexMan

Chimp
Jun 27, 2011
I have a Benotto MTB, my pedals keep falling off, so I'm guessing the crank is broken, so I'm thinking about getting a new one, I was looking at the AtomLab Pimplite crankset, I'm thinking about getting it, but I have a few questions:

1. It comes with a 24mm Shimano compatible bottom bracket, and I'm almost sure Shimano brackets are the same or compatible with Benotto brackets, but not certainly sure about it, are they?

2. Will it fit to my stock front sprockets set? It's a three gear sprocket set, if I need measures I can get them to check.

Thanks in advance!

This is the crank I'm thinking about getting:
http://www.atomlab.com/mtbdrivetrain.html

mexMan

Chimp
Jun 27, 2011
I'll post pictures later and I think I might be taking some measurements today or tomorrow morning to see what do I need.

Loctite? Care to explain?

mexMan

Chimp
Jun 27, 2011
The thing is that the pedal arm keeps falling off the cranks, I'm not willint to glue the arm to the crank, because I know it's not the arm that is broken, the deal is that the crank won't fit because the screw won't stay in it's place, the screw housing is basically useless.

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
There are different strengths of Loctite. Some as strong as super glue, and some that keeps bolts from backing out under vibration. Have you seen the blue stuff on bolts you've removed? That is Loctite. That is the stuff we are recommending.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Comeon guys. If someone tells you their crank arms are falling off (assuming they know wtf they are doing and how to successfully install a crankset) there is something seriously wrong and locktite is not gonna fix it.

I'm gonna venture an e-guess and say that the crank arm bolt backed out over time without mex noticing. Then one day he put some power down and stripped the threads or deformed the taper on the bb/arm.

mex, without further information I would say that you should just get a new crank set. Crank arms coming off is a serious safety issue and I would not trust locktite to fix it.

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
Comeon guys. If someone tells you their crank arms are falling off (assuming they know wtf they are doing and how to successfully install a crankset) there is something seriously wrong and locktite is not gonna fix it...
uhhh, he first mentioned that his pedals keep falling off hence the loctite suggestion. Hasn't posted pics yet so I'm unsure as to what crank/bb interface he has.... C'mon mexMan, get with the pix.

I have a Benotto MTB, my pedals keep falling off, so I'm guessing the crank is broken...
... or you could use loctite
but yes, replacing the crankset and bb would be the best route.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
uhhh, he first mentioned that his pedals keep falling off hence the loctite suggestion. Hasn't posted pics yet so I'm unsure as to what crank/bb interface he has.... C'mon mexMan, get with the pix.
The thing is that the pedal arm keeps falling off the cranks, I'm not willint to glue the arm to the crank, because I know it's not the arm that is broken, the deal is that the crank won't fit because the screw won't stay in it's place, the screw housing is basically useless.
Yeah... after reading his comment again I am unsure what is falling off of what. I know what a pedal is and I know what a crank arm is but I'm having trouble with the concept of pedal arms.

mexMan

Chimp
Jun 27, 2011
Yeah... after reading his comment again I am unsure what is falling off of what. I know what a pedal is and I know what a crank arm is but I'm having trouble with the concept of pedal arms.
What I call a pedal arm, is what you call a crank arm... So they're basically the same thing.

I'm gonna venture an e-guess and say that the crank arm bolt backed out over time without mex noticing. Then one day he put some power down and stripped the threads or deformed the taper on the bb/arm.

mex, without further information I would say that you should just get a new crank set. Crank arms coming off is a serious safety issue and I would not trust locktite to fix it.
That's basically what is happening with my crankset, I'm not trusting to loctite to fix it, I already asked in a few bike shops around here and they say the crank is broken, it doesn't matter how many times I change the arm, it will keep falling off, I'm going to upload some pics of the bike and the set I hae so you guys can tell me what crankset should I get. I've been thinking about the AtomLab Pimplite, but I don't know if it will fit my bottom bracket, so I'll give you the pictures later so you can tell me.

mexMan

Chimp
Jun 27, 2011
Here are the pics:
The f*cker itself:

Left crank arm, it doesn't matter how many times I change, fix or bolt in again, it will fall off again (that's in the early falling phase):

And my bloody setup, I want to see what crankset would fit, and, well, resist the use I'd give to it:

My media hosting web is fb btw, only because imageshack won't work! Awesome.

Last edited:

Quo Fan

This is a square taper bottom bracket? When the crank arm comes off, is the spindle square? If yes, then you need a new bottom bracket and crank set. the set in your link will work just fine. Remember, the drive side is reverse thread.

mexMan

Chimp
Jun 27, 2011
Yes, it is a square taper bottom bracket. So the AtomLab Pimplite should work fine? ARE YOU SURE? I don't want to order a 200 dollars set and find out it wont work, and also, will the set fir my gear sprockets?

Reverse thread? WTF does that mean?

DH 83mm BB 170mm BLACK
PIMPLITE DH 83mm BB 170mm WHITE

PIMPLITE 68/73mm BB 180mm BLACK
PIMPLITE 68/73mm BB 180mm WHITE

What size am I going to ask for?

Last edited:

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
you need to measure your bottom bracket shell. its probably 68 or 73 mm wide.
your cranks look to be 4 x 104 mm bolt pattern, but again, you should measure.
if you feel in over your head, you should probably find a local bike shop.

Quo Fan

Yes, it is a square taper bottom bracket. So the AtomLab Pimplite should work fine? ARE YOU SURE? I don't want to order a 200 dollars set and find out it wont work, and also, will the set fir my gear sprockets?

Reverse thread? WTF does that mean?

DH 83mm BB 170mm BLACK
PIMPLITE DH 83mm BB 170mm WHITE

PIMPLITE 68/73mm BB 180mm BLACK
PIMPLITE 68/73mm BB 180mm WHITE

What size am I going to ask for?
With the cranks you posted in your original post, you remove the old bottom bracket and replace it with the new one. Standard thread is "lefty loosy, righty tighty". That means that to tighten, turn clockwise and to loosen, turn counterclockwise.

So any 68/73 mm crank should work?

Another choice!

http://www.ridemonkey.com/classifieds/cat-8/ad-18825/?&epostid=16426#post16426

should I?
Cranks are measured in arm length, and are usually around 175mm. Bottom brackets are measured in width, and are generally either 68mm or 73mm.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

If you get your hands on one remember that one side has left hand threads. I believe it is the right hand side, look at the new part to confirm.

Sadly I have to say that if your cranks are coming loose from the BB, the BB is probably fine and the taper on the cranks are probably trashed.

Last edited:

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
Tapers are not only trashed, they're so bad they wouldn't work for scrap metal.
they make great bashers though. I keep an old specialized cast iron square taper crank arm in my tool box just in case something needs to be bashed or persuaded.

mexMan

Chimp
Jun 27, 2011
The thing is that square spindles ca't handle heavy work, if you apply your weight + a small bump they will break, that's for sure. I'm not sure if I'd keep using them.

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
The thing is that square spindles ca't handle heavy work, if you apply your weight + a small bump they will break, that's for sure. I'm not sure if I'd keep using them.
definitely don't ride them anymore. I've had them snap mid ride... makes for a long walk back to the car.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
If you are serious about riding and plan on being hard on that bike in any way then square taper is not the way to go. Square taper does not stand up to abuse (also, they come loose easily as you found out). Upgrade to an ISIS/Shimano/Truvative spline.