Quantcast

Bent Spokes.....?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Ok I got 2 bent spokes, what should I do?
For the time being should I just tighten them, they are loose as hell.
When I replace them do I have to have the wheel true'd?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Originally posted by llkoolkeg
...damaged, why not? If I replaced every spoke that got bent by picked-up branches, I'd be broke. Tension them back up and make sure your wheel is true.
Ok, I just wanted to make sure first.

Rev.Chuck

Monkey
Apr 11, 2003
Raleigh, NC
If the bend is gentle, the spoke can be tightened and the wheel trued. If you have a hard kink then it would be best to replace the spoke as this kink will be a possible failure point.
The other thing is to figure out why the spoke is bent. When the wheel is tensioned up right the spoke is hard to bend.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Not hard to bend when your labrador retreiver puts a stick in your wheel. She did that....once. I was on the ground wondering. She was sitting watching with that look she gives me when I have a stick or dog toy and she expects a throw. I assumed I hooked a derailleur on a root as I launched. Then I saw the broken stick and bent spoke.

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
If the spokes where in a properly tensioned wheel in order for them to bend they have to get longer or make the gap between hub and rim smaller.

Check the hub,rim and spoke for any damage and if you can't see any tighten it up and then look again. If there is any damage it's usually the spoke pulling throught the rim in my experiance.