Quantcast

Bernardita "Berny" Pizarro in Coma- UPDATED

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
i havent been able to gather much info lately but im convinced she is making steps towards consciousness and rehab. so until we get her delivered back to us, you will all have to endure my ugly mug in that picture of us taken some years ago.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
BIG UPDATE! Thanks to Matt Jewett at cannondale for this.

We are incredibly happy to be able to pass along the news that Berny
Pizarro has "awoken" from her coma on Saturday.

We spoke with her mother (Kenny) today who was at her side at the
hospital. She said that Berny was currently working with a physical
therapist and a linguist. She said that currently Berny is not able to
speak but that she is able to communicate using her eyes and facial
expressions.

Kenny said that after 23 days in a coma Berny is understandably
struggling to understand what happened to her and get out of bed and
moving. "It's a miracle, but I never lost hope for my daughter. I'm her
mother, but also her friend and I knew in my heart that she was too much
of a fighter to quit and had many good things left to do on this earth".

Kenny also wanted to pass along the family's appreciation for the
outpouring of support that they have received from friend all around the
world. "There has been so many people who have helped us along over the
past couple weeks. We are so grateful."

In a few days we hope to get some additional information from the family
on ways those interested can help with the expenses they will be facing
from this ongoing ordeal.

"Please pass along my thanks to all those who have helped out and keep
us in their prayers. We are truly grateful" , said Kenny

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Berny Update from Leana...

Berny was recently released from the hospital and has been staying with her family in the nearby hotel. Tomorrow she is heading home to Chile on a commercial flight. I think that it will be great for her to have more familiar faces around her, and a huge relief for her parents.
Thanks for keeping her in your thoughts and prayers!

bikevid

Chimp
Nov 3, 2004
Santiago de Chile
she's on chile now in a Military Hospital, she talks an try go up, have a incredible recuperation, i hope see her on a bike very soon, Big B rlz

comprenelvideo.

Guffo?

Chimp
Dec 8, 2004
Chile
Yesterday I saw her in the news.

She's on an incredible good shape. She appeared walking (Showing a little limp and shuffling her right foot). She spoke to the cameras, sayin' that she was very happy to be back, and fighting every day for recovering as fast as she can. She looked really fine.
The parents were also interviewed. They declared that, without anybody's permission, Berny got tired of being locked up on a room, jumped out bed began to walk.

and bla bla bla....
Hope the channel can stream that clip up here so you can see her, it's quite gripping to see her that well in such a short time.

C'ya.

Bati

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Santiago - Chile
Yesterday I saw her in the news.

She's on an incredible good shape. She appeared walking (Showing a little limp and shuffling her right foot). She spoke to the cameras, sayin' that she was very happy to be back, and fighting every day for recovering as fast as she can. She looked really fine.
The parents were also interviewed. They declared that, without anybody's permission, Berny got tired of being locked up on a room, jumped out bed began to walk.

and bla bla bla....
Hope the channel can stream that clip up here so you can see her, it's quite gripping to see her that well in such a short time.

C'ya.
http://teletrece.canal13.cl/t13/html/Noticias/Chile/277285Ivideoq1.html

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey

If NMBS or UCI have an end of the year awards ceremony, THIS girl gets the Hardcore Award - Men's OR Women's class - don't matter.

Way to go Bernie!!!:biggrin:

If NMBS or UCI have an end of the year awards ceremony, THIS girl gets the Hardcore Award - Men's OR Women's class - don't matter.

Way to go Bernie!!!:biggrin:
me and her team manager were joking that we needed to put a rock garden at the foot of her bed when she was still in the coma, and i needed to build her a set of wheels to challenge her to break.....she is the kind of person that woudl wake up just for that...to hear that she hopped out of bed cause she was just done with it doesnt surprise me at all....that girl is freaking awesome!!!!!!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Great News. Big Berny Update I just got in...written by Berny herself!

Looks like things are looking up for her, both in her private life, as well as on the health front. Awesome news!

-----------

Hello friends I am back and Recovering !!

After I crash, while I was training and having fun in the Bike Park of Whistler. I end in Saint Paul?s Hospital for a couple of days. After a few days they transfer me to ICU because I was in instable condition. I end up in a Coma of 1 month and 5 days.
So pretty much I don?t remember a single thing in that period of time. I broke my left femur and I was in a very bad shape. They told my mom and all my family that I was going to die or stay in Coma for the rest of my life. And that I was never going to talk or even move at all and I was going to have forgotten about sports for the rest of my life.
So Summing up a little bit. I made a fat embolism that went to my brain. In the Hospital arrived my Mom, my Big Sister and my Boyfriend, that before it was just a friend, which I have known for 3 or 4 years, but we both didn?t realize that we loved each other for since we met.
So I think the fact that I was in a very instable condition, which made us realize what we were hiding. And the curious thing is that we are very similar. In the way we live life to the limit; also a lot of attitudes and some reactions, and that our families are very similar too. A very cool thing is that he gets along very well with my Mom, which is a very good thing. Also because they stayed in Vancouver watch me, so the bond they have right now is amazing. I even don?t believe it myself. So I am very happy because the three of us, my Mom, Boyfriend and I have a very good relationship.
The fact that I was going to die made me realize that God gave me another opportunity to live my life and thought me a lot of things like I have to live my life to maximum of limits and without taking any risks, with no doubts, and without regretting anything that I have done in my life. It also helped me to find my true love that flew from New Zealand, because he was preparing himself to race that cool Red Bull race that was going to take place in Rumania; Named The Romaniacs.
That meant a huge deal for me because that meant that his love for me was more important that anything else. And that made us realize to that we were meant for each other. And that we belonged together.
You all might think is funny, because it sounds like it was a fairy tale; the only thing that?s missing is the castles of sand and some twins.
It also made me realize that I was being a brat for a very long time and that I was being very spoiled for my dad. I was always doing what it was best for me; when I wanted I was an adult and some other times I was being a child.
My Boyfriend made me realize that I was wrong in a lot of things; like being a brat and spoiled; and always accomplishing what I wanted no matter what.
It also made me appreciate my life and made me notice the people that are around me; like my friends and family, all the rest is nothing for me now. A friend told me once that a good friend is when you are in the Hospital in a coffin in the grave, and also when you are getting married or when you are pregnant. That means that they are they are there for you, no matter what; in the bad times and the good times.

I would like to appreciate to all the people that gave me good vibes or that believed in me; because you know I am a survivor, I will never let you guys down.
Also thank to all the people that prayed for me, or that send me e-mails; letters; postcards; pictures. All the people that gave me posters and pictures of religious people to have me connected with God. To all the people around the World, like Europe; North America; South America; Asia; all of the Islands.
Here in Chile they made a lot of events on my benefit to get money, like parties, races dinners; and bikers got together and went to the White House and gave a letter to our Female President; Michelle Bachelet, so the Government reacted to what happened to me and gave me some support. So they reacted and gave me a lot of money for my recovery. So now I am walking; writing; reading; sharing with my friends and family, and sometimes going out. I don?t smoke, but sometimes I did have a couple of soft drinks; but now I am not interested plus because the Neurologists say that affect my brain and that the recovery will be more slowly. And so far it has been great. So I don?t really want to go back as I was before when I was in a bed. Here I have a group of amazing people that are helping me with Recovery, like doctors; physiotherapists; neurologists; psychologists; psychiatrists. And pretty much everything.
With all those things I will be better and I know for sure that I will get my skills and ability back to normal. And hopefully I will be the amazing rider that I was before I crashed.

ElTORO

Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
With all the other Tards!!
Wow!! Wow what a Tropper!! I'm super glad she made it out ok and found someone she love's in the process.

Anyone know how she crashed?? Not that it really matters.

But I found the last jump on A-Line to be super dangerous. You hit a really high speed table around 25-30ft. then right turn into a small jump that you have to hip or your landing in the flat. I almost broke myself on this jump a couple of times.

NateH

Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
That is pretty much the best update we could have ever hoped for. Rock on Berny, can't wait to see you ripping it up again.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Wow!! Wow what a Tropper!! I'm super glad she made it out ok and found someone she love's in the process.

Anyone know how she crashed?? Not that it really matters.

But I found the last jump on A-Line to be super dangerous. You hit a really high speed table around 25-30ft. then right turn into a small jump that you have to hip or your landing in the flat. I almost broke myself on this jump a couple of times.
She hit a jump and went over the bars on A line freeriding on the Friday before Canadian Nationals (first weekend of Crankworx). Just a freak accident.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Berny:
I would like to appreciate to all the people that gave me good vibes or that believed in me; because you know I am a survivor, I will never let you guys down.

Berny - you'll NEVER have to worry about that.

The good Lord has given you a second chance - not many people can say that, coming back from an accident like you did. For whatever reason God decided your path lies here with us back on Earth and we're all glad everything is as good as it is.

It's amazing reading all the things you've been through in the past few months - taking some time to reflect on it all and think about what it is that God put you here for is exactly what I'd be doing too.

It's really great to know that you're O.K. and back with us safe and sound.

Peace, Love and Happiness.

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
Great news! Berny, you amaze and inspire so many of us. Wishing you continued strength in your recovery.