Quantcast

Besides bikes, what do you monkees collect?

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Plant pots. I have hundreds of the fckers.

And cables. Electric cables, computer cables, camera cables, old phone chargers etc. I don't know which ones to throw away!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I fear that very soon my camera lenses will turn in the direction of a "collection."

I've already picked up two more off eBay since I've had my camera, totaling 7 now, and can't stop looking :twitch:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I collected sports cards (baseball, football, etc) from childhood into college, but got out of it when it got too expensive in the early 90's. The market got too saturated and the "good stuff" started going for $10/pack. My brother has since sold most of the collection, which was easily hundreds of thousands of cards at its peak. I told him to sell what he can and give me half the money.

I do have some nice autographed momorabila...hockey sticks and pucks, pictures, baseballs. I had a sweet baseball collection but had to sell most it off to help pay for college. I wish I still had that stuff. I had Ted Williams, Joe Dimaggio, Mickey Mantle to name a few. :(

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I guess there's some more things I collect that I didn't think about:

Chicago Bears stuff
Field Guides of all kinds
tools

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I go out of my way to collect nothing yet my house still fills up with crap.
I have the same problem.

I like to empty my pockets into little piles of receipts/lint/notes that never get tossed out. It drives my wife crazy.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Also nothing...yet my garage constantly fills with crap. Do tools count as a collection?
My wife collects all the bs knick knacks and chackies I can stand...

To me, collecting stuff just for the sake of putting it under glass or in a display case is senseless. Get stuff you will use, use the crap out of it, then get new stuff. Repeat as neccesary.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
Are we talking intentionally, or unintentionally?

I have a lot of axes...probably about a dozen. Not the kind you play, the kind you chop sh1t with.

Other than that, I appear to attact an inordinate number of douchbags. It's offside, really.

Maybe I should combine the two? :think:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I fear that very soon my camera lenses will turn in the direction of a "collection."

I've already picked up two more off eBay since I've had my camera, totaling 7 now, and can't stop looking :twitch:
I can't even count how many cameras I own (and they're mostly all in storage now...). When I was in college, I used and owned a lot of medium format gear and got into finding antiquated equipment that I could still use. So I have a bunch of 6x6 and 6x9 folders that take 120 film, old box cameras that use the same, a really antique 4x5 folding camera with a Packard shutter, an 1950s wooden 8x10 field camera with a wide-angle lens which has an aperture disk instead of an iris diaphragm and a huge antique normal lens...no shutter, just a lenscap. Plus a bunch of other oddball stuff, but it's all usable (or was until I broke it...) Still have my old Mamiya twin-lens reflex cameras, just got the Leica M3, and have a Nikon F4 and D70 with some Tokina ATX zooms.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I collect shoe lasts. Any old, wooden ones, or modern unusual ones. I have some great lasts from the 50's and 60's. Currently I have my eyes on some italian womens lasts from the 80's.

I also collect shoe making tools, but that's mostly because I use them and need them.
Uhhhm, why? No offense, but that collection is, well, eccentric. Okay, its just kinda weird...
How does one get started collecting shoe parts?

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
I have some inactive but extant collections that prove me=teh nerd. Namely: coins, stamps, and tiny pewter models that I had to assemble and paint. I also try not to accumulate pocket knives now that I can reach one from virtually anywhere in my room.

These days I mostly collect piles of laundry and paper.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Uhhhm, why? No offense, but that collection is, well, eccentric. Okay, its just kinda weird...
I believe he makes shoes using old techniques...

Shoe lasts would be an obvious collection. (I did, however, have to wikipedia what they were...)

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
The state quarter proof sets since they began. Wife wanted me to just get the 1999 and 2000 years (start of one millenium(sp?)-beginning of another), and I told her that just those would be worth a little, but the whole 10-years' worth would be more valuable. Sure, I know the mint made loads of sets. Oh well, I can dream...............

kingbee

Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Ohio
Used to collect coins, stamps and hockey cards when I was younger. I used to volunteer at the NEC golf tourney in Akron, Ohio, so I have more autographed, hats, balls, gloves, tickets & clubs than I know what to do with. Id sell them, but I couldnt tell you half the autographs on the things.

I dont really collect anything now for the sake of collecting. I have a bag I put ticket stubs into that I have been doing for 15years+. I guess thats about it.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
I keep a piece from every project im involved in both work and personal. Got everything from Tweels to fiber optic HDs to funny warning labels.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I got started doing leather work when I started doing medieval recreation. That led me into shoe making which led me to collecting lasts and other shoe making tools. Like many people who do things that require tools I began to find antique tools fascinating.

Since the style ad shape of the shoe is dependent on the last more than anything I began buying old lasts so I could make old style shoes. I also buy unusual shapes. (long pointy toes, squared toes, unusual heel heights, etc) Also, shoe lasts are no longer made out of wood.

Actually it's par for the course since I myself am rather eccentric and weird. :clue:

Last edited:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Can you make me some Christian Louboutins? for my girl ofcourse.
You got a thousand bucks? :brows:

Yes, I can make modern shoes.

Yes, 700+ bucks for Louboutins, or Jimmy Choos is a rip off. VERY few shoes these days are worth that much. The ones that are are all hand made and custom fit. Stuff like Jimmy Choo is all marketing. It's worse than apple! Basic womens shoes made on oh so slightly custom lasts (as in custom to the company, not to your feet). Use moderatly decent leather and go with first tier sweat shops and bam... you have a jimmy choo.

Expensive shoes that are worth it? Bespoke shoes are the ONLY ones worth 300+ dollars. John Lobb Or some of our American custom cowbuy boot makers, like D.W. Frommer.

Note: I am not discussing specialty shoes or boots like ski boots, dance shoes, or stuff like that. Any footwear designed around a specific activity will cost alot more.