Quantcast

Best 29er ss gear ratio

Nov 7, 2008
depends on the trails, riding style and the riders fitness ability.

i ride with a 32-18. i spin out on the faster stuff and i suffer on the sustained climbs and super steep stuff but overall its good for me. i also know other guys that run shorter or taller gears to suit their riding style, fitness levels and the places that they ride.

sherwinr

Chimp
Jul 8, 2009
depends on the trails, riding style and the riders fitness ability.

i ride with a 32-18. i spin out on the faster stuff and i suffer on the sustained climbs and super steep stuff but overall its good for me. i also know other guys that run shorter or taller gears to suit their riding style, fitness levels and the places that they ride.
is 32-19 almost same with 32-18?

NuMexJoe

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
I run a 22t dinner plate and make no apologies for it. Being a clyde and living/riding above 7,000 feet, it works for me. If you're unsure, ask what others in your neck of the woods are running, or just start with a 20t and see how you like it.
- Joe

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I run a 22t dinner plate and make no apologies for it. Being a clyde and living/riding above 7,000 feet, it works for me. If you're unsure, ask what others in your neck of the woods are running, or just start with a 20t and see how you like it.
- Joe
I'm riding 32:22T right now as well. i don't have nearly the climbing you do, but I'm not in very good shape and it gets me up some of the short steep stuff we have here in CT without having to get off the bike and walk (sometimes I still have to though when I don't time my approach to a short steep right)

BikeFan84

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
D-Ville
used to run 34x20 on my moots 29er, damn I miss that bike. Probably going to run a 32x20 on my new 11 karate Monkey, (had to consolidate a few bikes years ago)