Quantcast

best 90's trails video sections...........

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Great. You are going to have me looking at my old VHS tapes and remember the best trail sections from the 90's. This will be a few day project for sure :)

I know I can post Anthem as the top one. There will be more added to this list tho.

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Anthem, then I would go with Little Devil or early RFs (now that I think of it alot of the early Ride videos had some good stuff as well). I'm thinking of Posh and Push, Chris Stauffer and Ground Chuck style.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
word. anthem killed it . . . but i have heard stew johnson is NOT cool with rips to Youtube/GoogleVideo. which i can respect. Ride Publishing on the other hand.....

sixgun_sound

Monkey
Sep 24, 2007
Yakima, WA
That thunder video reminded me of something. Does anyone remember... I think it was in england. There was this huge huge set of doubles in a field, I think they called it the chasm. They had a dirt jump comp there, is there any footage of that, or does anyone else even remember that?

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Anthem, then I would go with Little Devil or early RFs (now that I think of it alot of the early Ride videos had some good stuff as well). I'm thinking of Posh and Push, Chris Stauffer and Ground Chuck style.
Yup, yup, and big yup on Stauffer and Ground Chuck. That Domination vid has a great McCrea section amongst others.

The Seek and Destroy vid with the random trains and "White Room" song is absolutely perfect.

SOIL for all the left coast, sandy, open trails. Great SHL stuff.

Dolecki's part in Don't Quit Your Day Job - which is all street. But his part was really rad as it was at the Bridge trails that I rode at occasionally and I knew all the locals pretty well.

trust4130

Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
Pennsylvania
Simply put, the first two or three ECD videos pretty much sparked the underground video revolution, and are still to this day pretty darn amazing. Apparently ECD will never die!

Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again. NO ONE has yet been able to throw down a one handed table the way Chuck could. (Don, you probaly can put your hands on an old Ride mag with the two page "Come to Standard Country" spread of Chuck destroying a huge, way past flat (and proper) one, mid ryhthm, at Posh. I can still remember the first time I saw him do one there, and it left me shaking my head for days. Heck, part of the reason I moved to Pittsburgh way back then was to ride like that. Alas, that's an entirely different story though...

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
trust - so true about GroundChuck. That "Marlboro" ad was so cool - I remember it well - it showed a lot of the trail feel just from a picture. Standard had THE team then.

That whole era with riding trails was pretty friggen rad. Posh and PUSH had a certain mystique - Kris Bennet, Punjab, so many others. I heard stories of guys from my trails driving out and they were just blown away with Posh - tons of people at the trails from the nearby nat'l at South Park.

And Long Island w/ Robo, 7-11, BASE, Hooligans, etc. Then there was the whole thing w/ Sheep and other left coast spots.

Our place was rocking back then - plenty of locals and a good group riding regularly. And there was some nearby spots that came in and rode with us and vice-versa. I know it's still going on someplace - but not for me and that crew from back then.

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Robo's section in the fox video "Expendable Youth" is what made me want to quit motocross and learn to ride trails. When he manualed a whole roller section into big dj's, it looked sooooo smooth and flowy I had to learn it and feel it.

I finally made it to ride Minersville last year and that was soo cool, I am going to try to check out Posh and Catty some time, even though those two spots are waaay out of my leage I really have to see that go down in real life, not just vids and pics, those jumps are just unbelieveable.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
O yeah, Robo's section in Expendable Youth is real good - forgot about that one. I actually like that whole movie and the soundtrack.

trust4130

Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
Pennsylvania
trust - so true about GroundChuck. That "Marlboro" ad was so cool - I remember it well - it showed a lot of the trail feel just from a picture. Standard had THE team then.

That whole era with riding trails was pretty friggen rad. Posh and PUSH had a certain mystique - Kris Bennet, Punjab, so many others. I heard stories of guys from my trails driving out and they were just blown away with Posh - tons of people at the trails from the nearby nat'l at South Park.

And Long Island w/ Robo, 7-11, BASE, Hooligans, etc. Then there was the whole thing w/ Sheep and other left coast spots.

Our place was rocking back then - plenty of locals and a good group riding regularly. And there was some nearby spots that came in and rode with us and vice-versa. I know it's still going on someplace - but not for me and that crew from back then.
I went to 7-11 jam w/ Gower once way back then, and it was pretty darn cool. Pedally, but cool. Oh, and Don, you'll appreciate this: I get there and the first person I see riding? - Drew Jenkins, killing it w/ his unreal smooth style. If you recall the the short lived "Tread" magazine, they were there that day and drew got a cool pic.

And Tortuga, unfortunately you missed the prime era of minersville by a couple of years if you were only there last year... Our main stuff was effectively plowed in '06. Some stuff did remain, but it was never the same. Also, Catty is unreal in a big, very steep, and completely unforgiving sense. But awesome nevertheless.

Last edited:

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
The coolest thing of the old vids is they are almost all trail riding, now vids are almost all street.

I am impressed with the skill it takes to ride street, but trail vids is what gets me fired up to ride and what motivates me to get out the shovels and rakes and build a new line. I like how you have to pump a roller just right, then hit the right line through a berm to get set up to make a jump line, not just pedaling your ass off into a straight set of jumps or hitting a quarter in a park. Its like putting all the pieces of the puzzle together, thats what made Minersville so cool for me, there are an infinate number of lines you could put together, I seriously think it would take me a whole season of riding there every weekend just to figure out all the lines.

Heres a link to my trails, kinda lame compared to the other PA goods, but fun for a old codger like me :)...

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
I've seen Thunder and a few others... but, there are soooo many that I haven't seen. For some reason, I just really wasn't into watching videos back then. I need to catch up.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
The coolest thing of the old vids is they are almost all trail riding, now vids are almost all street.

I am impressed with the skill it takes to ride street, but trail vids is what gets me fired up to ride and what motivates me to get out the shovels and rakes and build a new line. I like how you have to pump a roller just right, then hit the right line through a berm to get set up to make a jump line, not just pedaling your ass off into a straight set of jumps or hitting a quarter in a park. Its like putting all the pieces of the puzzle together, thats what made Minersville so cool for me, there are an infinate number of lines you could put together, I seriously think it would take me a whole season of riding there every weekend just to figure out all the lines.

Heres a link to my trails, kinda lame compared to the other PA goods, but fun for a old codger like me :)...
dude your spot is f*cking RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD. that is the type of thing i am building right now.

.... and those aerial shots... did someone climb up in a tree or something, or you on the side of a massive hill ?

Last edited:

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
dude your spot is f*cking RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD. that is the type of thing i am building right now.

.... and those aerial shots... did someone climb up in a tree or something, or you on the side of a massive hill ?
The vid was put together by my friend Nat, he did some stuff for "The Cut, Sevenvision" He's really into the zip line thing which is really cool, 300' of cable. I hope he films this years trail jam because for me the party is soooo hectic its like a blur and I miss a lot of the action.

Oh he only filmed one line too, there is a lot of goods he missed. Plus there is another 180 berm at the other end of my property, about 440' between the two with about 10 jumps, I think a top to bottom run is about a 1/4 mile and 20 to 25 jumps depending on how you put the run together.

It keeps me busy, rained last night so I'm digging all day today :cheers:

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Trust, Tortuga, you both from PA? what areas?

There is still a pretty good but VERY underground DJ scene in P-burgh. Several of the guys I ride with know most of the major players, but I have been out of that loop for a long time, and getting back into the loop is tough. I have a few guys who are going to work with me to build out back. Checkin the lay of the land seing where we can dump dirt and how to get a skid steer in to move the dirt. The area used to be a stone quarry so some of the dirt they filled it with is diggable but in some places its like... well... diggin in a stone quarry! lol.

Tortuga, great trails by the way nice and flowy! that is good stuff!

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Trust, Tortuga, you both from PA? what areas?

There is still a pretty good but VERY underground DJ scene in P-burgh. Several of the guys I ride with know most of the major players, but I have been out of that loop for a long time, and getting back into the loop is tough. I have a few guys who are going to work with me to build out back. Checkin the lay of the land seing where we can dump dirt and how to get a skid steer in to move the dirt. The area used to be a stone quarry so some of the dirt they filled it with is diggable but in some places its like... well... diggin in a stone quarry! lol.

Tortuga, great trails by the way nice and flowy! that is good stuff!
I am a couple miles from mile marker 312 on PA turnpike, Downingtown and 2.6 mile to Victory Brewing Company.

Thanks for the compliment on the trails, I have another 180 berm roughed in and I have enough room for 2 jumps before the next 180 berm, but I am having a tough time thinking of what kind of rythem I want, need something different.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
I am a couple miles from mile marker 312 on PA turnpike, Downingtown and 2.6 mile to Victory Brewing Company.

Thanks for the compliment on the trails, I have another 180 berm roughed in and I have enough room for 2 jumps before the next 180 berm, but I am having a tough time thinking of what kind of rythem I want, need something different.
when is your big dig ride party?

have shovel will travel! :biggrin:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
dude I still have American Muscle on vhs somewhere... I've watched the BF section so many times. Another of my favorite vids I had in the late 90's was SNAP's Rhythm video. So many good trails. I have another vid called Shank. Its got footage from Fuzzys original backyard and some monster lake jump with Ken Hale going for broke

SDH Racing

Monkey
Apr 5, 2006
NE
O yeah, Robo's section in Expendable Youth is real good - forgot about that one. I actually like that whole movie and the soundtrack.
Funny to come across this thread as I just watched EY a few months ago and forgot how insane some of the riding was in those segments. The only thing I found hard to cope with even to this day is the constant switching back and forth from hard core rap to metal and back again every other segment. Other then that Expendable is one for the record books for sure.

Dave Mirra's super smooth 180 transfer to backwards grind down the coping box still makes my jaw drop to this day... :shocked:
:thumb:

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Robbie Morales in "Domination" (Standard Bikes, 1999-ish)

http://vimeo.com/14490137

CLASSIC mid/late 90's trails. mixture of booster jumps, racer-setup jumps, rollers, tech stuff like landing-in-a-manual, etc. etc. rad.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Robbie Morales in "Domination" (Standard Bikes, 1999-ish)

CLASSIC mid/late 90's trails. mixture of booster jumps, racer-setup jumps, rollers, tech stuff like landing-in-a-manual, etc. etc. rad.
Yup CLASSIC as hell. Robo had tons of good clips back then. Trail Boss!