Quantcast

Best Bike cleaning routine

Spec8in561

Monkey
Mar 12, 2004
Can you guys post your cleaning routine? Pelase also include what products you use when cleaning

thx

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
i use this stuff called dazzle to clean frames but thats for when im cleaning bikes at my shop. just use water with dish soap on a sponge or something to clean off the main parts, use orange peelz to clean of grease and all that other gunk, and then spray it down with bike lust to keep it shiny.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
I use warm soapy water for everything that isn't greasy, and I use Simple Green for the drivetrain and rubbing alcohol for disc rotors. I use a hose with a very light misting nozzle to rinse the bike off, then I use rags to dry it off, and afterwards I let it sit in the sun for an hour or two to bake dry. Then lube it up and you're good to go.

smedford

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
Bellingham, WA
dexterq20 said:
I use warm soapy water for everything that isn't greasy, and I use Simple Green for the drivetrain and rubbing alcohol for disc rotors. I use a hose with a very light misting nozzle to rinse the bike off, then I use rags to dry it off, and afterwards I let it sit in the sun for an hour or two to bake dry. Then lube it up and you're good to go.
That is the method I use and have never had a problem.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
I will lightly hose the bike off. Then Simple Green on the drivetrain w/ a Park cog brush and chain scrubber. Then I re-hose the drivetrain to rinse and make all sparkly-clean. Then I spray Finish Line bike wash all over and dry off with a towel. :thumb:

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Wait, You guys CLEAN your bikes?

If my bike is in the yard or outside when I water the yard, then I just hose it off.

BSEVEER

Monkey
Dec 23, 2004
SoCal
A wire brush works great to clean the chain, no need for soap. Wash the rest of it like you do your car.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
I don't usually clean my bike, unless I'm either working on it or doing some kind of maintenance. A little dirt on the frame never hurt anything...

But, when I need to clean it, I usually just wipe of the dried dirt with a shoprag, no water involved. I use either a citrus degreaser on drivetrain parts, or just lately I've been using a Korean alcohol called Soju. It's cheap, available at the corner store, and works better than anything else I've used before! You can also use it to clean your cuts, or drink if your hurting enough!

Dirt Merchant

Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
Hilton, NY
It's rare that I need to hose my bike off, usally an old
T-shirt and some elbow grease is all that's required. Then I
clean the drivetrain with a skinny screwdriver, before oiling the chain.
I don't care what others say, this is the way to maintain longevity....

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
-screw in the hose.
-turn on the water.
-point hose in general direction of bike (or hot girls in bikinis)
-stand back and admire your work.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
you forgot the last point:

-feel life draining out of you as it dries with a thing film of mud all over it, no longer the shiny beast it was when wet.

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
I hose the bike off, dry it with a towel, take it apart, clean all hard to get areas with WD40 and a rag, degrease some things, grease them back up. Clean everything thats still a tad dirty, put the bike back together and finish it off with some wax.

Dan

8it

Chimp
Apr 6, 2003
NYC
Look at your dirty bike after a days riding and say to yourself, "Damn I gotta clean my bike". Then go have a beer, you deserve it cause you seriously considered washing your bike.
Or, just ride your bike in the rain. Then go have a beer, you deserve it cause you rode in the rain and only hardcore bikers ride in the rain!

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
8it said:
Look at your dirty bike after a days riding and say to yourself, "Damn I gotta clean my bike". Then go have a beer, you deserve it cause you seriously considered washing your bike.
Or, just ride your bike in the rain. Then go have a beer, you deserve it cause you rode in the rain and only hardcore bikers ride in the rain!
Well said. Gotta have beer one way or the other.

I usually hoist my bike onto the stand in the shop after returning late from a race/ride, then come back in 2-3 days and knock the chunky dried mud to the floor, wipe down the fork legs, get the dirt of the drivechain and relube...... Thats about it., I do wash it with a hose from time to time, but not very often.

roberts

Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
I have had a DHi for 5 years(?) and have cleaned it maybe 8 times.

Every time I think of cleaning it, I just figure it will get filthy on my next ride, so why bother.

Plus, I live in So Cal so it's dry.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
If it's dusty just wipe the dust off.

If it's muddy then use a soapy rag and wipe it off. Then use a cleaner wet rag to give the frame a final wipe-down and it's clean enough. Lube it up and you're good to go.

I never use a hose, water always ends up in places I don't want it to be.

Sep 9, 2004
Littleton, CO
roberts said:
I have had a DHi for 5 years(?) and have cleaned it maybe 8 times.

Every time I think of cleaning it, I just figure it will get filthy on my next ride, so why bother.

Plus, I live in So Cal so it's dry.
That is terrible. You invested a lot of money into your bike and letting it sit like that is the worst thing you can do to it. The best bike washing routine is to clean it after every set of runs you do. If you are a racer this means after every day of practice, or if its muddy hose it down every run, then after qualifying and after your race run. keepinga bike clean will help it run properly and in turn the bike will treat you better.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
AusRottenVirus said:
That is terrible. You invested a lot of money into your bike and letting it sit like that is the worst thing you can do to it. The best bike washing routine is to clean it after every set of runs you do. If you are a racer this means after every day of practice, or if its muddy hose it down every run, then after qualifying and after your race run. keepinga bike clean will help it run properly and in turn the bike will treat you better.
I used to clean my bike often in the first two years when i worked as a courier.
But when i started wiping the **** of just on ocation then i noticed that the parts lasted longer...