Quantcast

Best Brakes for DH/Freeride?

Lollapalooza

Monkey
Jan 22, 2007
If you weigh less than 200, just about any brake is more than enough, unless you're dragging/boiling your brakes - which would not be the brakes shortcoming.

I love to see reviews of Codes or Ones by 155lb guys.... awesome.
I'm 135lbs fully geared up and my bike came with Codes. The first few times I used them, I accidentally locked up my wheels and almost fell. They definitely took some time to get used to.

grimm

Monkey
Jan 12, 2002
Sweden
Im surprised no one has brought up Hope's offerings as an alternative yet. They are light, powerfull and have a great feel. Maybe not the cheapest out there but definetly best for the money, and they really arnt particularly expensive either. They have plenty of different models, ive ran many of them over the years and never been disapointed so far. Right now i run old Enduro's on a downhillbike, and mono minis on a street bike. Awsome brakes.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
the k24's go for $ 350 a set, complete. juicy 7's are what, $290 a set or thereabouts.

my point is that it's not like you have to spend a lot more to get formula quality.

i own hopes, maguras, old hayes, avids, and i've been liking my formula oro biancos so much on my XC bike i'm seriously thinking of selling all my other brakes and converting the whole quiver to formulas.

but it is true that avid parts are easy to find when you need them.

Vena

Monkey
Aug 30, 2007
Italy
I had hayes, than went for code and now i'm on Formula The One.
I'm preatty impressed for the power of formulas brakes, i love them. I'm running them with 200/180 and i couldnt want more power or more tuning (yes, because you can tune them without tools, and i can find the exactly position and feeling that i didnt find with codes).