Quantcast

best brakes?

Y

yos1s25

Hi.
I'm using "hayes nine" and my hands really hurt when I ride DH...
I've herd from friend riders that they are not strong for DH...
What can you tell me about it?
What brakes should I use?

thanks

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
Hopes fo lyfe! :blah: Seriously though, the hayes 9 series are notoriously low quality- the worst of all the hydros out there. If you want to pony up for new brakes, save up for hopes, and you wont regret it. The modulation and feel is so much better than hayes, the power is comparable or better then top of the line hayes, and you get blinging gold :drool: . If you don't want to pay that much, i think you can get new master cylinders for you HFX-9s (no?) and those are supposed to give vast improvement.

JohnnyBoyDH

Monkey
Aug 6, 2003
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Try playing around with lever angle and lever reach adjustment. Alot of arm pump can be solved by proper fitting. Also relax when DHing. Too tense of a grip will lead to arm pump as well. Hope that helps.

Feb 14, 2004
SoCal
Rather than upgrading brakes, I'd work on just using them less. The only reason I'd wanna upgrade my hayes is for looks. Those hopes are pimpin.

Really though, if you force yourself to stay off the brakes you'll be so much faster.

dlb

Monkey
Apr 15, 2004
socal
Hopes are defenetly tops for me, I love the feel of them. Im running a Mono M4 in the front, and will probably suck up and get on for the rear, now I have a 160mm Mono Mini in the rear. I have heard good reveiws about the older model XT's, they are much like the M4's, infact, I think the XT pads will work in the M4's.