Quantcast

Best campsite coffee?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I am going to use a propane stove, but is the best coffee at the campsite, made with a French Press?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Unless you have a nice espresso machine I say french press for the win whether you are camping or not.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
I use a percolator as well. Be sure you bring a coarse grind.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
That is a moka pot not a percolator. Isn't a percolator the worst way to make coffee as it reheats already brewed cofee? That is unless you like bitter burnt coffee.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
French press would work well. I don't bring mine because it's glass and I'm afraid of breaking it. I usually just use one of those wire baskets you can use for loose tea or coffee. Bought an MSR version for a few bucks. Works well enough. I use it for backpacking too.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
had a cup out of the moka pot on lunch...tasty for sure.

for camping FP all the way.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
French press would work well. I don't bring mine because it's glass and I'm afraid of breaking it. I usually just use one of those wire baskets you can use for loose tea or coffee. Bought an MSR version for a few bucks. Works well enough. I use it for backpacking too.
They make nice Lexan ones.

We usually do a mellita drip, easier to clean up than a French Press.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Best:

A press and insulated mug in one, you don't need a separate cup and the mug works great for soup and other food as well as cold drinks. Super light for backpacking and pretty much indestructible.